Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Guest Gemmill

Can we change the title of this thread to "Any Martins apologists on here", please?

The time has come for me to play I-told-you-so.

Not a lot's changed though. Martins is over-rated by some and under-rated by others. He's still the most effective striker we've had available which is why he's been starting most games even carrying an injury. If we had someone better of course we should play them.

Under-rated, over-rated, whatever.  Fact is that he's rubbish. 

Can we change the title of this thread to "Any Martins apologists on here", please?

Fair play, you've waited a long while for that opportunity. :razz:

A humble man like me would have been glad to be wrong, Wullie.  It just never seems to happen that I am.

if not Martins, you would have been victimising Bassong since August, and then where would you're 'told you so' be?

Nah, Bassong's good, Martins isn't.  Do you understand the difference? 

not that performance on the pitch matters to you

Not a lot's changed though. Martins is over-rated by some and under-rated by others. He's still the most effective striker we've had available which is why he's been starting most games even carrying an injury. If we had someone better of course we should play them.

Under-rated, over-rated, whatever.  Fact is that he's rubbish. 

Well if we can get a few million for a rubbish player that's not bad. I doubt we'll get much for the rest of the squad which speaks volumes.

Guest Gemmill

Accusing me of racism again Ronaldo. You witless prick. Will you claim it was all a joke this time too?

Guest Gemmill

Just out of interest, Gemmill, what do you think of Owen?

That he used to be a very good player, but he now appears to either be finished, or at the very least completely disillusioned with football. Either way he's been a huge disappointment for us unfortunately.

Point-scoring aside I think it's agreed by most here that Martins career here is finished.  I doubt Martins wants to play in the Championship and I doubt he's the sort of character Shearer wants here. He's never shown much comittment to his national side so he's hardly going to sweat blood for Newcastle.

Point-scoring aside I think it's agreed by most here that Martins career here is finished.  I doubt Martins wants to play in the Championship and I doubt he's the sort of character Shearer wants here. He's never shown much comittment to his national side so he's hardly going to sweat blood for Newcastle.

His car got shot up in recent years when he was there right?  Was lucky to escape if i remember rightly.

That shit would put me off going back there too.

His car got shot up in recent years when he was there right?  Was lucky to escape if i remember rightly.

Didn't that turn out to be a load of bollocks? :lol:

That s*** would put me off going back there too.

lol no idea.  was it?

Guest Gemmill

Accusing me of racism again Ronaldo. You witless prick. Will you claim it was all a joke this time too?

Where was this? ???

Happened on numerous occasions throughout this thread Dave. Alluded to it more on this occasion.

He will go to Spurs/Man City or Spain IMO.  That said Wenger might still take a punt at him. We will more than likely take the first offer that comes for him and sell him for half price.

Can't see why Spurs would want him when they got Bent, Defoe and Keane who are all better then Oba and Man City will be looking for strikers much better than him as well.

He will go to Spurs/Man City or Spain IMO.  That said Wenger might still take a punt at him. We will more than likely take the first offer that comes for him and sell him for half price.

Can't see why Spurs would want him when they got Bent, Defoe and Keane who are all better then Oba and Man City will be looking for strikers much better than him as well.

Type of player Droopy D loves... Bent will be out the door aswell. Defoe/Martins/Keane/Pavlyuchenko gives quite a bit of variety.

Villa/Everton might well be other potential destinations in the UK.

There'll be plenty of clubs in the lower half of the Prem who would take him, not to mention clubs abroad. We won't have any problem selling IMO.

I find it quite funny that one day Martins is WOW what a player and another day he's shit. Im not saying that he's either.

He if anyone needs confidence to play well. In some games (especially in the earlier days) he could be really good while in other games he's really shit. But i dont doubt that he can be quality on his day, but what lets him down is that he's not strong mentally.

And of course he isn't a smart player who makes great runs but when he's confident he can still be effective imo.

What? Bollocks instead of Bullets