Obafemi Martins

Wullie

My overriding memory of Martins comes from one game where he rounded the keeper twice. The first time he needed to welly it, so he tried to stroke it in gently with his foot and the defender got back to clear it. The second time all he had to do was finesse it and he'd have scored, so he put his laces through it and missed.

Such a stupid footballer.

Guest firetotheworks

Whenever I think of him now, I always think of the most stupid things I have ever heard anyone say.

Me: Aye, Oba's got the same birthday as me.

Mate: Ah reet, I thought you both just had the same date of birth?

Guest icemanblue

Hated how he seemed to decide which foot to take penalties with during his run up :lol:

It worked most times, just not against Arsenal...

Or Everton.

Hated how he seemed to decide which foot to take penalties with during his run up :lol:

Or Everton.

It did against Reading though and that was one of my favorite games as a fan, with one of my favorite goals ive ever seen live (Emre  :aww: )

Or Everton.

It did against Reading though and that was one of my favorite games as a fan, with one of my favorite goals ive ever seen live (Emre  :aww: )

That Emre goal can still be viewed on everyone's favorite internet video site and its a peach of a goal, commentary and of course our stadium erupting.

Martins :lol: I loved him at times, was such a mentalist it wasn't even funny. His solo effort at home in the Waffa versus AZ was something else.  His goal versus Boro in the relegation season nearly brought me to tears as well - but yeah, thick footballer who had no idea how to use his own raw talent.

Loved him in his first season here, but the UEFA Cup made his record look better than it was, he didn't score enough in the league. After his first season he, like the rest of the team, was just shite. I think what happened to him since leaving showed just how poor he was. I'll remember him fondly for the ridiculous goals he scored though, that one against Spurs in WHL was just insane. :lol: I still can't believe he scored the winning goal in a cup final in England too, fucker couldn't believe his luck. :lol:

The only player I ever made a video of (Obafemi Martins - Newcastle). Also got his name on the back of my shirt in 2008.

Loved him when he first came here and thought he was going to become a huge player after his first season.

Still a pretty likeable guy. It was a difficult environment for everyone towards the end, don't blame him.

I loved Oba until it became apparent he didn't give a shit, like a lot of the relegation squad members. Showed glimpses of an absolutely quality footballer in his first two seasons, and he did improve slightly (though any statistical progress was apprehended by Allardyce's desire to put him on the wing, a role to which he was never suited). By the third season though it was all over. He was injured a lot and lost interest. Disappointing but, as much as i loved him when he first arrived, i'm glad we do our research better these days.

Just flicking back through the thread. I love it when old threads like this crop up, they're a right venture down memory lane. Talking about how Boumsong had too much expectation, how good a signing Trabelsi would've been, that "Owen had a shit debut too remember, so you can't slate Martins for that!". :lol:  I'm not using hindsight to give people stick or anything, it's just interesting looking back how conversations have evolved over the past mental six years. Stuff which are a distant memory which were really getting our backs up once upon a time.

I really hated it under Roeder.

Have to say, i don't know why he took penalties like.

Aye, one of the things you look for in a penalty taker is someone who's assured, level-headed and can be relied on. Instead we had someone who was paying someone ridiculous amounts of money to run his life for him. :lol:

Overriding memory: scoring at Portsmouth and making a huge show of being injured when celebrating so he could justify another month back in Italy.

Never rated him. People go back to his goals keeping us up the 06-07 season, but 11-12 or however many he got is the bare minimum you'd expect from what was the main striker in a team where he was pretty much the only goal threat. See Graham and Holt last season and imagine countless others.