A message from the international supporters.

oldtype

I've been on these boards a bit more than a year now, and for the most part the posters here have been nothing but reasonable and respectful. However, recently there seems to be a growingly vocal minority of posters that believe that it's unacceptable for foreigners to support Newcastle United; that an American, or a Swede, or a Korean could never be a true fan; that the recruitment drive of the Toon Army should extend no further than the city limits of Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Let me make something clear before I move on. I'm the precise dictionary definition of a glory hunter (or I would be if there was any glory to hunt with this club.) I was born and raised in South Korea and am currently attending college in the United States. Like many of my countrymen, I started tuning in to the best league in the world after my love affair with football was ignited by the 2002 World Cup. There were a variety of reasons I was drawn to Newcastle United, there was the exciting football, the "best fans in the world," to be completely honest the fact that it wasn't Manchester United also probably played a big part in my decision (the amount of red shirters walking the streets of my home city is... disturbing, to say the least.) More than anything I was enamored by the loyalty and local pride shown by Alan Shearer and Sir Bobby Robson. I loved how Shearer had turned down Man United to come back to his hometown club, and how Sir Bobby had come back from managing the best clubs in Europe because he wanted to be at "his dad's club." I wondered what kind of club it was that could inspire such passion in its players, its gaffer, and its fans. I wanted to be a part of that passion.

Since then I've been through all the ups (not enough) and downs (too many) of this club throughout the years. I catch a broadcast of every game of the season as long as it's humanly possible to do so. Once I had enough money, I've made it a point to visit the city at least once a year. Just as all of you do, I fondly remember the thrills of the Champion's League, the moments of devastating disappointment, and the nagging fear of relegation that's been surrounding us far too often in recent years. Just as all of you did, I was jumping up and down like a madman when Martins scored his screamer at WHL last year, filling my heart with foolish hope after or murder of Bolton at the beginning of this season, and wiping tears from my eyes after our trip to Old Trafford.

I'm writing this because I'd like to deliver a message, one that I think all of our international supporters would agree with, to the small minority local fans that would like to see us gone. We acknowledge that you were born supporting the club, we acknowledge that you've developed your relationship for a far longer time than we've had a chance to. But know this: what we may lack in experience, we certainly do not lack in passion. We stay up at awkward hours just to see the matches from different time zones, we buy from the club shop paying exhorbiant dispatch fees while waiting anxiously for over a month for our new shirt to arrive at our door, we spend as much money as you do on a season ticket just to travel to Newcastle once a year, just so we can sit with you in the stands and cheer the lads on.  So please. Don't you dare question our passion, committment, and love for this club. Because when we see someone doing so we feel the exact same thing you would feel if someone challenged your legitimacy as a fan: outrage.

A thoughtful poster on here once commented to me that 'we may be an army, but we don't divide ranks," and that has never been more true than now. With the challenges this club faces on and off the pitch, now is not the time to be turning glances of distrust amongst ourselves, or to declare a significant section of our own supporters "unworthy." No, now is the time for us to stand together. We want this club to succeed just as much as you do, and we would all be singing with you in the Gallowgate week in week out if we could. You support a club that usually has a grand total of one Geordie on the pitch, managed by a man from Doncaster, and captained by either a Cameroonian or a Scouser depending on who's actually getting the job permanently. Is it a surprise that the diversity of our squad is reflected in our fan base? In the twenty-first century, Newcastle United "unites" far more than just Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It unites every single person across the world who would bleed black and white.

So lets forget about this messy business of legitimacy and get behind the lads on saturday.  :clap:

...And of course, get on their backs post-match.  :angry:

PS: I'm sorry I've written this as though as I'm speaking for all the international supporters on here. Feel free to comment and tear me a new one if you don't necessarily agree with what I'm saying!  O0

I've been on these boards a bit more than a year now, and for the most part the posters here have been nothing but reasonable and respectful. However, recently there seems to be a growingly vocal minority of posters that believe that it's unacceptable for foreigners to support Newcastle United; that an American, or a Swede, or a Korean could never be a true fan; that the recruitment drive of the Toon Army should extend no further than the city limits of Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Let me make something clear before I move on. I'm the precise dictionary definition of a glory hunter (or I would be if there was any glory to hunt with this club.) I was born and raised in South Korea and am currently attending college in the United States. Like many of my countrymen, I started tuning in to the best league in the world after my love affair with football was ignited by the 2002 World Cup. There were a variety of reasons I was drawn to Newcastle United, there was the exciting football, the "best fans in the world," to be completely honest the fact that it wasn't Manchester United also probably played a big part in my decision (the amount of red shirters walking the streets of my home city is... disturbing, to say the least.) More than anything I was enamored by the loyalty and local pride shown by Alan Shearer and Sir Bobby Robson. I loved how Shearer had turned down Man United to come back to his hometown club, and how Sir Bobby had come back from managing the best clubs in Europe because he wanted to be at "his dad's club." I wondered what kind of club it was that could inspire such passion in its players, its gaffer, and its fans. I wanted to be a part of that passion.

Since then I've been through all the ups (not enough) and downs (too many) of this club throughout the years. I catch a broadcast of every game of the season as long as it's humanly possible to do so. Once I had enough money, I've made it a point to visit the city at least once a year. Just as all of you do, I fondly remember the thrills of the Champion's League, the moments of devastating disappointment, and the nagging fear of relegation that's been surrounding us far too often in recent years. Just as all of you did, I was jumping up and down like a madman when Martins scored his screamer at WHL last year, filling my heart with foolish hope after or murder of Bolton at the beginning of this season, and wiping tears from my eyes after our trip to Old Trafford.

I'm writing this because I'd like to deliver a message, one that I think all of our international supporters would agree with, to the small minority local fans that would like to see us gone. We acknowledge that you were born supporting the club, we acknowledge that you've developed your relationship for a far longer time than we've had a chance to. But know this: what we may lack in experience, we certainly do not lack in passion. We stay up at awkward hours just to see the matches from different time zones, we buy from the club shop paying exhorbiant dispatch fees while waiting anxiously for over a month for our new shirt to arrive at our door, we spend as much money as you do on a season ticket just to travel to Newcastle once a year, just so we can sit with you in the stands and cheer the lads on.  So please. Don't you dare question our passion, committment, and love for this club. Because when we see someone doing so we feel the exact same thing you would feel if someone challenged your legitimacy as a fan: outrage.

A thoughtful poster on here once commented to me that 'we may be an army, but we don't divide ranks," and that has never been more true than now. With the challenges this club faces on and off the pitch, now is not the time to be turning glances of distrust amongst ourselves, or to declare a significant section of our own supporters "unworthy." No, now is the time for us to stand together. We want this club to succeed just as much as you do, and we would all be singing with you in the Gallowgate week in week out if we could. You support a club that usually has a grand total of one Geordie on the pitch, managed by a man from Doncaster, and captained by either a Cameroonian or a Scouser depending on who's actually getting the job permanently. Is it a surprise that the diversity of our squad is reflected in our fan base? In the twenty-first century, Newcastle United "unites" far more than just Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It unites every single person across the world who would bleed black and white.

So lets forget about this messy business of legitimacy and get behind the lads on saturday.  :clap:

PS: I'm sorry I've written this as though as I'm speaking for all the international supporters on here. Feel free to comment and tear me a new one if you don't necessarily agree with what I'm saying!  O0

couldnt agree more, but im a norwegian, what do i know :D

Couldn't have said it better myself  :clap: :thup:

Some people's comments in recent topics have downright been pissing me off to a degree I couldn't describe on the board without using so many bad words I'd break the bad word filter.

I have to agree with you "oldtype" I've been supporting Newcastle since Jim Smith was in charge and I had to do with the radio for my games of the Toon, live broadcasts on TV was never heard of in Australia except for the FA Cup final, that was the only time I saw Football on the Telly so I'm not really a band wagon jumper and I have every right to support the Toon as any die hard Geordie.

fantastic post 100% agreed

i am from iceland and have been supporting the toon from the age of 8 when my dad gave my first newcastle shirt and have been a very passionate supporter since.

by the way newcastle was in the lower ranks of of the first division  at that time i got the jersey  so i can't be somekind of a glory hunter........

Firstly, anyone who supports Newcastle can hardly be called a glory hunter, so let's put that one to bed. A masochist would be a more accurate description. Secondly, it's better just to accept there are a section of fans who have a narrow view of what a Newcastle supporter should be, and probably this extends to the players as well. Jenas and Dyer got stick for reasons that weren't always football-related. Sometimes it was justified, sometimes it was just a chance for the moronic element to jump on the bandwagon and vent uncalled for hatred.

Newcastle is a great club, with great fans. Like any club we've got some fans who are more insular but that's their problem not yours.

I agree there is a small minority, who believe anybody outside of Newcastle (eg Durham) cant be NUFC fans, but it is a minority.

I have massive respect for any foreign person who takes on NUFC as THEIR club. We've won nowt, and dont look likely to win out. As you say, you see Manure/Chelsea shirts and pubs all ower the world now, such an easy choice for them, guarenteed glory. But, all the guys who pick NUFC are the true supporters.

A large amount of the anti-foreigner stuff is just internet talk. I have been supporting NUFC all of my life but since my early childhood I haven't lived there. I do go to matches every couple of years and I have a yank accent and no one has ever given me any grief about it at SJP or around Newcastle on the day of a match wearing a replica top. I don't know many of the "current" songs (and I obviously mispronounce the words I do know anyway) and I have never been publically criticised for it (aside from chiding from family members).

I am sure a few of the 50,000 or so might have issues but I haven't met them and I would be willing to guess its even more rare on the day at SJP than it is in here.

Basically, the problem is a sort of reverse snobbery - 'You can't be a PROPER fan unless you were born on Tyneside' etc etc...it just makes these people feel exclusive - and they are NOT.

All they are is small-minded - the sort who think we've had a good season if we finish above the Mackems...

Then there are those who think you can't be a proper fan unless you have x No of pints before a game and a big curry before it...

All this stuff is just SO pass'e - if we want to be a REALLY big club, we need to welcome as many overseas fans as possible, wherever they are from.

take a look and you'll find it's not really anti-foreigner stuff,it's more some (like myself) get a bit peeved when those in britain shun there local league club to ride on the tail of something bigger,stopping the chance of their local club growing and perpetuating the hegemony of the man utd's of this world.

i am always interested in how those from abroad arrived at newcastle though ? theres some good stories in there.

and "get behind the lads on saturday" ...wont it be sunday over there ?

A large amount of the anti-foreigner stuff is just internet talk. I have been supporting NUFC all of my life but since my early childhood I haven't lived there. I do go to matches every couple of years and I have a yank accent and no one has ever given me any grief about it at SJP or around Newcastle on the day of a match wearing a replica top. I don't know many of the "current" songs (and I obviously mispronounce the words I do know anyway) and I have never been publically criticised for it (aside from chiding from family members).

I am sure a few of the 50,000 or so might have issues but I haven't met them and I would be willing to guess its even more rare on the day at SJP than it is in here.

never thought of you as having a yank accent....so thats it. sorry...we can't be friends anymore.

Soccermom  :lol: He was convinced you were a girl alex iirc.

Pm'ed me a picture of his cock as well.

Any good?

You've got nowt to worry about.