A message from the international supporters.

oldtype

Although I agree with all points made (and even thought the same myself at times when I've seen such an occurence), the people you try to appeal to would never accept such points, even if they were brought to them by Kofi Annan (sp), Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi.

Although I agree with all points made (and even thought the same myself at times when I've seen such an occurence), the people you try to appeal to would never accept such points, even if they were brought to them by Kofi Annan (sp), Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi.

Especially as the last two are brown bread.

Guest Brewcastle

I'm from Norway. Have supported NUFC for decades. But it had a lack before beginning of the -90's. The relegation then made my support to NUFC stronger.

When I picked my favourite team in England, NUFC was the natural alternative for me. It's historical lines between Norway and the north-east of England. And I'm happy about the choice. An exciting area, and I like the people over there. I have made some good friends over there. -That and everything else around beeing a NUFC-supporter I appreciate much.

I love to support Toon, and don't care if it's a small group thinking I'm not qualified to be a NUFC-supporter. I guess we could have a good chat over a pint anyway  :occasion14:

Guest toonlass

I totally agree with the main point. That is part of the reason behind me starting the "moving on from the prostitution" thread. I don't see why someone in Norway, Australia or the US could not feel as passionately about Newcastle as someone from, say Byker or Bedlington. I don't think there are glory hunting Newcastle fans, if they were glory hunters they would support Chelski, L'Arse, the bin dippers or Manure. I am a season ticket holder, get to some away games(although not as many as I used to), live in Northumberland and have always supported Newcastle, but I know a lad who lived in Ireland who supported Newcastle and who moved to Newcastle last year, got a job and bought a season ticket, just because he loved Newcastle. Does that not prove that someone who supports from afar can indeed be as passionate. This bloke changed his whole life to come here.

I totally agree with the main point. That is part of the reason behind me starting the "moving on from the prostitution" thread. I don't see why someone in Norway, Australia or the US could not feel as passionately about Newcastle as someone from, say Byker or Bedlington. I don't think there are glory hunting Newcastle fans, if they were glory hunters they would support Chelski, L'Arse, the bin dippers or Manure. I am a season ticket holder, get to some away games(although not as many as I used to), live in Northumberland and have always supported Newcastle, but I know a lad who lived in Ireland who supported Newcastle and who moved to Newcastle last year, got a job and bought a season ticket, just because he loved Newcastle. Does that not prove that someone who supports from afar can indeed be as passionate. This bloke changed his whole life to come here.

look pet,foreigners is one thing...but women :rant:

Guest toonlass

look pet,foreigners is one thing...but women :rant:

:tickedoff:

was a great post and i was captivated by it until the part about celebrating oba's goal last year at white heart lane and it reminded me of what i was doing that fateful day....  sitting at my computer watching the game live via some shit website that steals out live feeds, oba hits that shot and i was running circles around my house singing oba oba obafemi martins.  then got back from my excitement in time to see butt score the winner and all i could do was laugh!! i'm from kansas ya'll that's right you may have heard of the wizard of oz' but i fucking love NUFC!!!!  i wear my kit to the bar with pride i don't give a shit that the only people who recognize the shirt are my friends who i grew up playing soccer (sorry lads that's what we call it) with. black and white till i die!

So it;s wrong to think that people should support the club of the place that they are from. Fantastic.

In my opinion - and i know that my opinion is not particularly well-thought of, but 'meh' - it's not about people being "glory hunters", thats clearly not the case (although i think we did attract some when the first Keegan reign looked like it was going to produce something) at Newcastle. I just genuinely don't understand why anyone woudl want to support a team from somewhere that they are not from (or have a strong familial link to).

With foreign fans, its probably more understandable, what with the all-pervasive coverage (and undeniable quality) of the Premiership, but lets face it, its by-and-large an arbitrary decision to support NUFC for these fans. And thats what i don't get, i suppose - the arbitrary nature of SELECTING a team to support. For me, its an almost tribal thing - its about where you're from, not the selection of a team because of certain players/managers/strip colour or whatever.

But hey, I'm clearly a bad person for thinking that way.

So it;s wrong to think that people should support the club of the place that they are from. Fantastic.

In my opinion - and i know that my opinion is not particularly well-thought of, but 'meh' - it's not about people being "glory hunters", thats clearly not the case (although i think we did attract some when the first Keegan reign looked like it was going to produce something) at Newcastle. I just genuinely don't understand why anyone woudl want to support a team from somewhere that they are not from (or have a strong familial link to).

With foreign fans, its probably more understandable, what with the all-pervasive coverage (and undeniable quality) of the Premiership, but lets face it, its by-and-large an arbitrary decision to support NUFC for these fans. And thats what i don't get, i suppose - the arbitrary nature of SELECTING a team to support. For me, its an almost tribal thing - its about where you're from, not the selection of a team because of certain players/managers/strip colour or whatever.

Actually I do agree with some of that. It always seems strange if you are born and bred in England not to support your local team, but it's a slightly different issue to overseas supporters. Having said that, while I could never support an Arsenal or a Man Yoo, I'm always pleased if supporters from other parts of England support the toon. That makes them part of my gang as it were. How could you resent anyone for such an admirable quality?

the only problem with that for me is that the closest "professional" team i live by is the kansas city wizards of the MLS.  Have you ever watched the MLS...hardly a league that makes you want to spend the gas money to drive to a game much less give a s*** about what happens. 

my reasons for choosing NUFC are as follows.  When I was first being introduced to the european game the only matches we could follow was the EPL and Champions League.  The class and passion surrounding the game in england blew me away and i knew if the MLS could provide the quality and atmosphere the EPL does i'd show up week in week out and pour my heart out.  So it came down to what team?  i'm tired of typing right now so all i will say is alan shearer and the fact that i wasn't going to support any of the big four considering that i started following around the time abramovic took over chelsea, among other things

I partly agree with NM too, although obviously it is easy for us to say as we were lucky enough to be born in a city with a premier league team.

If I'd been born in a non-descript town or somewhere abroad I might not have the same opinion! (Although I did enjoy going to some Maidenhead United games when I lived there)

Actually I do agree with some of that. It always seems strange if you are born and bred in England not to support your local team, but it's a slightly different issue to overseas supporters. Having said that, while I could never support an Arsenal or a Man Yoo, I'm always pleased if supporters from other parts of England support the toon. That makes them part of my gang as it were. How could you resent anyone for such an admirable quality?

I don't resent them, i just don't agree with the concept. Like i said, the foreign fans is different (although I DO resent it when domestic or foreign fans watching on TV make pronouncements about games and assume that you get a "better" idea of the match than actually being there), especially our american chums, and more understandable. But if i came from Holland, i'd support my local Dutch club firdt and foremost. Its just the way I am, and the way I think things should be. I am from Newcastle, so I support Newcastle and England I don't see the need to have any "other" clubs beyond that.

who said that?...... i support my home team as well m8 :) (as i play in it)

good question, but then again... why would keegan come? why would he be so passionate to play and manage newcastle? or sir bobby for that matter? theyr english, but they were not born in newcastle! :) as for glory hunters, i think the fan based where raised the years newcastle was having the bitter fight with manchester, and thats probably one of the reasons newcastle still is the nr 2 team in england (as for what i can recall people saying?)...

why someone would pick a team, and especially newcastle is quite easy, i love the people there, the club, the players, the managers, the history!

i even know people from newcastle who supports other clubs, and tbf, there is a lot of them as well...

i never "selected" newcastle as a club to support, with two elder brothers who are sworn liverpool fans, i could have made an easy decition... but i saw newcastle play, i liked the club, followed up with the history, and met people from newcastle.... combined it just became my natural choice for that matter... and yes, it is a better league than the american/australian/asian leagues... but it doesnt mean that its an selecting choice.. if it where that matter, i would rather have gone for an italian or spanish leagues, who offer a more technical approach to the game!

no your not :) and i understand the points you made out, but i feel its wrong to say "im from newcastle, what are you doing here?" dont you?  :pow:

I partly agree with NM too, although obviously it is easy for us to say as we were lucky enough to be born in a city with a premier league team.

If I'd been born in a non-descript town or somewhere abroad I might not have the same opinion! (Although I did enjoy going to some Maidenhead United games when I lived there)

I'd like to think that had I not been "lucky" (an arguable point, given our shitness), and been born somewhere else, i'd support that team. One of my best mates is from Grimsby. He supports Grimsby. Its not about their chances of winning anything (obviously!), its about where he is from.

if you look though, many of our foreign fans have a team they support in their own country, and then one from the Premier League.  With all due respect, do they not choose a PL team on top of one from their country because our league is better?  We have better players (although not the case with NUFC), more world-renowned managers, and we get coverage of our football all over the world.

To be honest, If I lived somewhere in Scandanavia, I'd probably do the same.  I'd support my local team, and go to their matches week in, week out, but I wouldn't be able to help myself in wanting to get involved in the best league in the world.  And by doing so, I'd ally myself to a team.  It's all about wanting to watch top quality football at the end of the day.

I'd like to think that had I not been "lucky" (an arguable point, given our shitness), and been born somewhere else, i'd support that team. One of my best mates is from Grimsby. He supports Grimsby. Its not about their chances of winning anything (obviously!), its about where he is from.

Well yep, I like to think the same :) I don't think I would feel the same about a team if my grandparents and parents hadn't stood on the terraces.

Also, I think we have to admit supporting Newcastle is better than most other clubs...

We are 'lucky', there are hundreds of clubs below us in the league ladder. That's why I think the claim not to be glory hunting just because the toon haven't won the premiership is a bit of an empty one, considering a lot of people were attracted during the incredibly exciting first Keegan era.

To clarify, I think it is natural and unavoidable that people from afar are attracted to the big clubs - ideally they would all support their local team but obviously that's not going to happen.

I partly agree with NM, but only to the extent that you "should" support the club because you have some affection to it. Be it family (my case), or that you stumbled across a Newcastle-shirt in your young years and liked the colours, or because we were the first team you ever saw, as long as there is something there and you follow us through thick and thin.

I partly agree with NM, but only to the extent that you "should" support the club because you have some affection to it. Be it family (my case), or that you stumbled across a Newcastle-shirt in your young years and liked the colours, or because we were the first team you ever saw, as long as there is something there and you follow us through thick and thin.

thick and thin baby

Good post Oldtype.

I was born into a Newcastle family and who to support was never an option. In no way does that make me better than any other supporter, wherever he or she comes from.

In fact perhaps those who did have a choice are better fans.

I think local users of this forum really admire you foreign guys who support NUFC, it has been said earlier that there is no way you can be accused of being glory seekers ifor supporting us.

The one or two who make comments about "outsiders" are the usual agitators, and I don't think they actually support Newcastle, but masqerade as NUFC fans so they can make negative comments which are detrimental to the club and it's supporters.

Guest LucaAltieri

Think of it like any other relationship.

You don't instantly fall in love with a woman, the first thing that attracts you is her tits. You learn to love her over time. I don't care what superficial reason caused you to become interested in the Toon initially, fact is they love the club now. Is anything else really important? The locality of it all is a bit of an outdated concept considering the coverage our league gets... and we're better off for it too.

You don't instantly fall in love with a woman, the first thing that attracts you is her tits. You learn to love her over time. I don't care what superficial reason caused you to become interested in the Toon initially, fact is they love the club now. Is anything else really important? The locality of it all is a bit of an outdated concept considering the coverage our league gets... and we're better off for it too.

:lol:

We've had plenty of tits play for us.

Guest LucaAltieri

:lol:

We've had plenty of tits play for us.

:lol: True enough. Although none of them would give me the horn...

...well, maybe Parker. But no one else.

Yeah, it is a very small minority.

I was born in Newcastle, moved to Australia when I was 8 years old (10 years ago).

I was back home in December and January and didn't miss a match.

I also stay up til all hours (this weekend its 3.45am) to watch us play, no matter who we're playing.

So I don't know how anyone can question my loyalty because of where I live.