Mort Explains All

steve_69

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has assured Kevin Keegan he will be given time to get things right.

"It is clear that Kevin has had an immediate and very positive impact," he told The Times. "The feedback from the players and backroom staff has all been very positive. Although the players are working harder in training, they are enjoying it more and improving their fitness levels. We appreciate it will take time for Kevin to turn things around.

"He has a three-and-a-half year contract and we are looking to see what can be achieved over that period. He has already got the team playing more football and I am comfortable that the results will follow once we get that first win. We also appreciate that we could have seen out this season and brought Kevin to the club in the summer, but that would have meant another transition season next season and we wanted to avoid that."

While the timing of Allardyce's dismissal was not perfect - Keegan was unable to secure any established first-team players during the remainder of the transfer window after his appointment on January 16 - Mort is adamant that the club will benefit from the change in due course.

"The club will be better prepared [for next summer], as we have a manager and scouting team with several months to consider both where we need strengthening and who we might bring in, whereas last summer we had a new manager and new senior scouting staff joining in the summer that had not worked at the club previously," Mort said. "In addition, whilst I appreciate we have had a poor run of results, we have a much stronger squad of players now than that with which we finished last season. So we will also have the advantage of adding new players to a much stronger base."

You missed out..

.. “The reality is that the Alan Shearer story and the PCP story were both absolute rubbish Alan has obviously denied he has been approached by a consortium and we had never heard of PCP until Monday’s story.

"It is not one journalist that has been writing these inaccurate stories. Who do you think has both connections with the media and is willing to go to the trouble, since shortly after our takeover last summer, to cause disruption to the club by spreading so many false rumours about a takeover?"

I'm on an especially dense day today, who is he hinting at?

You missed out..

.. The reality is that the Alan Shearer story and the PCP story were both absolute rubbish Alan has obviously denied he has been approached by a consortium and we had never heard of PCP until Mondays story.

"It is not one journalist that has been writing these inaccurate stories. Who do you think has both connections with the media and is willing to go to the trouble, since shortly after our takeover last summer, to cause disruption to the club by spreading so many false rumours about a takeover?"

I'm on an especially dense day today, who is he hinting at?

SA :-)

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has assured Kevin Keegan he will be given time to get things right.

"It is clear that Kevin has had an immediate and very positive impact," he told The Times. "The feedback from the players and backroom staff has all been very positive. Although the players are working harder in training, they are enjoying it more and improving their fitness levels. We appreciate it will take time for Kevin to turn things around.

"He has a three-and-a-half year contract and we are looking to see what can be achieved over that period. He has already got the team playing more football and I am comfortable that the results will follow once we get that first win. We also appreciate that we could have seen out this season and brought Kevin to the club in the summer, but that would have meant another transition season next season and we wanted to avoid that."

While the timing of Allardyce's dismissal was not perfect - Keegan was unable to secure any established first-team players during the remainder of the transfer window after his appointment on January 16 - Mort is adamant that the club will benefit from the change in due course.

"The club will be better prepared [for next summer], as we have a manager and scouting team with several months to consider both where we need strengthening and who we might bring in, whereas last summer we had a new manager and new senior scouting staff joining in the summer that had not worked at the club previously," Mort said. "In addition, whilst I appreciate we have had a poor run of results, we have a much stronger squad of players now than that with which we finished last season. So we will also have the advantage of adding new players to a much stronger base."

i hope he doesn't believe this, the squad is more unbalanced and lacks pace and creativity, more so than it did last season arguably. we have more squad fillers and workers but that doesn't make a good squad.

Think this is the first time they have spoken about the timing of the sacking, just confirmed what i thought they had thought - that this season was down the pan anyway so we get half a year to settle down and plan for the summer instead of making the change then and having to rush things for next season. This is all well and good as long as we stave off relegation  O0