Relegation - will we or won't we? *NO FIXTURE LISTS PLEASE*

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sad as f*ck when we're happy at a draw to go a whopping 4 points clear, but tonight, with Owen, Martins & Viduka, we showed why we're still better than the rest of the sides in the bottom 8.

True, but really I suppose it is for the best. Had Allardyce been allowed to stay the whole season (and I thought he should at the time I admit) and he'd limped along a bit more successfully into 13th or so, we might have wasted a whole extra transfer window filling our squad up with Bolton standard players. Now at least KK must surely have carte blanche to buy about 8 or 9 new first team players. We have needed a playing staff cleanout for a long, long time. Now that Ashley has his own man surely he has no excuse not to open the wallet in summer.

That's what I'm hoping. Irregardless I still can't see us being relegated. The only chance for that was if Smith stayed on the pitch and he's gone. Soon surely Barton will follow him and then we'll no doubt get enough crappy ugly points to stay up.

Looking at Bolton and Sunderland's fixtures, I've only just noticed how similar they are to each other.

The last eight games include a game against each other, three identical home games, one identical away game and a away or home game against the same team.

The crucial difference is that the remaining two away fixtures are against struggling sides for Sunderland, while Bolton play a pair out of the top three.

Half of our fixtures are similar to Bolton's, with two identical games and two games against the same side home or away.

If we at least match their results in the similar games, that would leave them four games - All against top half teams - to overhaul a 5-9 point deficit providing we avoid defeat in our next two home games.

MASSIVE weekend for us coming up. Hopefully we'll end up 7 points clear of the drop after next weekend. Sunderland, Wigan and Bolton can all expect defeats really.

7 points from the drop sounds like winning the Champions League at the moment, I'd be that relieved!

We are definitely in trouble but the Birmingham game tonight has given me cause for optimism. We created a good number of chances in the second half and coming back from a goal down is very encouraging. Martins looked very threatening too and hopefully he will take that into the Fulham game.

I think we'll have enough to get 4 points from Fulham (H) and Reading (H), which will take us onto 33. As long as we do this, even if we lose all the other games (I actually think we have a chance of taking something against the mackems and West Ham, but just suppose we don't) I actually think 33 points will be enough this season, and I'd be very surprised if 35 points isn't enough to survive this season.

Luckily for us, we have been very poor for most of the season but so have 6 or 7 other teams, and thanks to Derby being so utterly woeful there are only two relegation spots to avoid. If Birmingham play like they did tonight against us I don't see them picking up many points in their remaining games. Add this to the fact that Fulham only have 23 points, an Anelka and Jussi-less Bolton only have 25 and don't look like winning a game soon, the mackems have only won 2 points away from home all season and now almost all their remaining home fixtures are against the top teams, and I think we will find two teams worse than us to go down along with Derby.

:clap:

:coolsmiley:

Agreed.

Feel a lot better with that point, crucial as it was.

We've got 3 winnable home games, we should take 6pts minimum from them, our aways are just bonus games now.

Yeah ive also felt a lot more confident today, after last nights result and second half performance.

It will all count for nothing if we dont beat Fulham though, and as said, they wont be easy. Recently drew at Blackburn and beat Everton at home, McBride and Bullard back means they will be dangerous.

If we beat them, we are safe as far as I'm concerned, and can see the players getting enough confidence to go on and beat Reading and Scumderland, and possibly pick up a couple of bonus points on the road. Thats an IF we beat Fulham.

Guest fraser

Teams at this end of the table (Derby County excepted) are capable of puting in two good performances consecutively, three maximum. It's inconsistency rather than a total lack of quality that lets sides down. Fulham have had two good results on the bounce, now it's our turn.

FWIW if we get to 35 points we'll be safe imo.

im a lot more confident of survival than i was before birmingham. the problem being if we dont respond to that excellent 2nd half performance with a win, well be back where we were. fulham are in the same position- they need to build on a good away point at a good place and a home win with an away win, or at least threaten. im expecting either 2-1 or 3-2 to us. itll be a good game, both sides desperately need the points.

I have us finishing 13th on 38pts.

Fulham (31), Bolton (30) and Derby (10) getting relegated.

Man U winning the title ahead of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, with Everton getting 5th and Pompey in 6th.

After todays results:

Newcastle  31 32 -25

Wigan        31 31 -17

Reading     31 31 -21

Sunderland 31 30 -21

Birmingham 31 27 -13

Bolton        31 26 -17

Fulham       31 23 -23

Derby         31 10 -51

7 games to go....