Relegation - will we or won't we? *NO FIXTURE LISTS PLEASE*

ChrisJbarnes
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The FA Cup might have presented the Premiership relegation battle with some unexpected side effects.

Portsmouth play us and four of our rivals, and these games all immediately follow or preceed key FA Cup fixtures for Portsmouth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/fixtures/default.stm

The West Ham game will get moved for the semi, and we are the game immediately after the semi. Just to make things more difficult for us, the West Ham game will likely be moved to a midweek and give one of our rivals a fitness advantage.

Otherwise, you don't know how the Portsmouth players will react - they could play every league game like a Friendly, or they could all be very confident and determined to win their place in the Final assuming they get there.

Worst case scenario is that they switch between the two, and come out all guns blazing against us, and uncompetitive against our rivals.

I'd take a point at Birmingham if I was offered it now like. I still think we can survive without anything in that game but anything will still be excellent. A win would take us nigh-on safe imo. Massive game.

This.  It's very important, but we shouldn't assume defeat means disaster (well, worse disaster than we're in).  A win would be a huge bonus - i reckon we could push on for europe actually.

I'd take a point at Birmingham if I was offered it now like. I still think we can survive without anything in that game but anything will still be excellent. A win would take us nigh-on safe imo. Massive game.

This.  It's very important, but we shouldn't assume defeat means disaster (well, worse disaster than we're in).  A win would be a huge bonus - i reckon we could push on for europe actually.

I take it your jokin about Europe... or on crack.

Apart from that, i too, agree with Wullie.

Playing pompey after the semi is the best thing for us. If they lose, confidence will be shot and if they win, even with a first team out, those games often turn out to be a case of 'after the lord mayor's show'. Hypothetically of course, we need to do our job too.

My predictor saw us drop on goal difference, 34 points, the same for Wigan, Bolton and Reading, but our abysmal record both in front of goal and at the back sending us down. I just can't see us winning more than one game and picking up the odd draw here and there. Even the sole win, I feel is due to the laws of averages.

What will be crucial is the state of the other "competitions" going on within the league. Are the likes of ManUre and Arsenal fighting it out for the title till the last day ? Will those teams fighting for Europe go down to the wire, will the likes of Derby and fulham be confirmed down (that might not be a good thing as their players may be either trying to prove themselves to other Prem clubs or play without pressure). As has been pointed out already how much of a part will portsmouth play given their focus will surely be on winning the cup ?

Playing pompey after the semi is the best thing for us. If they lose, confidence will be shot and if they win, even with a first team out, those games often turn out to be a case of 'after the lord mayor's show'. Hypothetically of course, we need to do our job too.

I'd agree that the semi has increased our chances of getting the points there, but Birmingham could also find a Lord Mayor's show there on Wednesday night, Wigan might turn out against Nugent, and other games in which our rivals feature vs Portsmouth may have a friendly atmosphere against a Pompey side with increased fixture congestion.

I'd agree that the semi has increased our chances of getting the points there, but Birmingham could also find a Lord Mayor's show there on Wednesday night, Wigan might turn out against Nugent, and other games in which our rivals feature vs Portsmouth may have a friendly atmosphere against a Pompey side with increased fixture congestion.

None of the sides around us have the quality we have though. We need a win, get it on Monday night and we are flying.

If we get the points we should, it won't matter. Thankfully, Bolton and sunderland don't have to play them, I think they're the main two we need to look at. I think Birmingham and Wigan will have enough to stay up anyway. I want a Wigan win against Bolton on Sunday.

Guest Guinness

The Birmingham game is absolutely massive for us, things will be looking very bleak if we lose that one. I find it amazing we've managed to slip so far down the league after a relatively solid start. I really want us to survive, but the with the way we've been playing I can't see where our next points are going to come from.

I dont remember being this scared since we lost at home to Crystal Palace under Dalglish. I really thought we were gonners that night. Somehow, I think this has been coming for us. Depite the highs Kevin previously and then under Sir Bobby, we have flirted a bit with the drop under Dalglish, Gullit, Souness and Roeder.. maybe, eventually, our luck has just run out

At first I thought playing on Monday night could go against us, as we may actually be in the bottom three by then, but then looking at the fixtures, the three teams around us playing on Saturday face Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea. Then Fulham have Everton on the Sunday, so other than one of Wigan V Bolton, in theory, none of them should get any points.

Guest ExiledGeordie

Yeah I agree with everyone here, the Brum game next monday sets a precedent for what will happen imo. If we go there battle and get a point or god forbid actually win then I think we are on our way.

I've looked at the fixtures and Bolton look to have the hardest set of games imo. We simply have to be able to finish above them surely as Fulham look like they're seriously down esp if we beat them at home. Also Boro aren't out of it, their next two games are Villa away then ARsenal away. Sunderland lost at home again which was a reminder for them again and they have Chelsea at home this weekend. I think there's still lots to happen to be honest and things can turn around quickly.

Birmingham away and Fulham at home will go a long way to deciding which direction we're going. Come out of those games with some positivity and I think we'll get the results against the likes of Reading, SUnderland and maybe even a point here or there elsewhere.

Has to start now though, can't wait any longer.

Boro, Bolton and Scumderland have harder run-ins than us, but its whether we can take advantage of our fixtures.

We need points (at least 7) from our 4 fix against Brum, Sunderland, Fulham and Reading.

I can see the scum-boro game deciding who goes down.

those who think fulham are as good as gone need to think again. 6 points adrift and theyve been shite all season but look at west ham last season. they do have some good players like bullard and tbh, if they beat everton they could be just 3 points off, in which case survival wouldnt be too much of an ask.

also anyone who is going to take victories over fulham, reading, sunderland, birmingham as given also needs to think again, as the chances are they took victories over derby home and away, reading away, sunderland away, wigan away, bolton home and middlesbrough home and away as given. lets not forget we were 3 minutes away from being doubled by derby and only just beat fulham and birmingham. really hits me how many points weve dropped to shite teams really! especially with them being in a relegation battle as well makes it harder. we need to up the notch but i still think well survive.