So......where is Enrique?

Zero

He never looks like giving the ball away but his positional sense isn't the best. In terms of attacking players, he was one of our best in the second half.

Im not going to critisise the lad too much because he's hardly had a run in the team.

I honestly think Allardyce did good when he brought in Enrique.

(Actually, i think he did good when he brought in all of his new defenders, bar Rozehnal. I like them all, he just didn't play them enough and/or in a consistent team - they were never going to be effective that way)

From what i've seen of him, he looks strong in possession - not brilliant in the tackle, but strong enough to barge himself onto the ball. He shields the ball well, i don't think there's any debate about that one for me. He can keep it under control and use his strength to turn away from an opposition player. I've seen that several times from him.

I also think he's quick aswell. It really confuses me when people say they don't think he's quick, i don't know where it comes from. He looks pretty sharp across the backline to me.

He's good at covering too, as someone has said, freeing up more space for the winger ahead of him (which should be N'Zogbia every time, ffs).

My main gripe with him is his distribution. He's not a particularly good passer of the ball down the line. He doesn't get forward enough either, but then - he's a defensive full-back and that's not his game. I reckon he's a good player and could well turn into a very decent defensive full-back, like he's supposed to be. As has been said though, i can't see him being Keegan's first choice in the long-term, if the boss gets his way in the transfer market.

Last time Keegan was here he bought Alessandro Pistone, a player very much in the mould of enrique. Tall, supposedly heavy in the tackle, not brilliant going forward, young talent for the future. Hopefully Enrique's here to stay. I like him, and after 5 years at the toon he'll have come on massively and will be able to play a huge part in the toon back 4 for the forseeable future.

Last time Keegan was here he bought Alessandro Pistone, a player very much in the mould of enrique. Tall, supposedly heavy in the tackle, not brilliant going forward, young talent for the future. Hopefully Enrique's here to stay. I like him, and after 5 years at the toon he'll have come on massively and will be able to play a huge part in the toon back 4 for the forseeable future.

No he didn't. :lol:

A Dalglish buy. £4.6m iirc  ???

A Dalglish buy. £4.6m iirc  ???

My bad. Just a tired lad trying to defend JE. I like him. Should have just said that and left it there!  :blush:

Enrique looks lost when he's in open space.  He doesn't seem to quickly identify attackers and adjust.  He usually seems to turn the wrong way and while he has a bit of a burst it's not enough to compensate for his mistake.  More experience would help with that, I'm sure.  With some better center backs and perhaps a midfielder that was more adept at rotating back when he charges forward he'd be more effective as well.

Always said he looks alright to me. Not special at this point, but easily good enough for a mid-table (we hope!) club like us. He's played in some right hammerings this year which won't be doing his confidence much good.

He's played in three cleans sheets for Newcastle. Fucking three. And two of those were against Stoke and Barnsley.

correct me if i'm wrong but villareal play a rigid sort of organised system, very continental, with defensive mids giving a lot of protection to their defence? 

i'm fairly sure they're not an out and out attacking team where the full backs bomb up and down creating goals then getting back etc etc...ala sevilla under ramos

that being true put a player who flourished in that system in our team - outcome?

I hope he plays every game till the end of the season, and i hope he's here beyond that.

Considering the mess he's moved into its no wonder things haven't been brilliant from him. I think he could settle quite well in the end though, and hope we ride through with him and break him into our team and the premiership.

I hope he plays every game till the end of the season, and i hope he's here beyond that.

Considering the mess he's moved into its no wonder things haven't been brilliant from him. I think he could settle quite well in the end though, and hope we ride through with him and break him into our team and the premiership.

He is the best left back we have to he SHOULD play when fit.

I can't see him being first choice next season.

In that case we need to sign a proper left back and have Enrique as cover. 

I'd be happy to go in to next season with Enrique as left back and Tozer as back up.  At least then both are accumilating experience from a young age.  I still maintain that Enrique has done alright for his first season in the EPL, especially given how shite we've been and that he's not exactly getting a decent run in the side.

I reckon Allardyce just bought him because he's tall. You may well laugh...

wasn't that rumoured to be why he didn't bid for baines in the summer?

what and then play n'zogbia at left back who is 5'7"?

He isn't massively tall? only 6 foot.  Ramage is taller, so is Edgar.  Beye is also 6 foot.

I'm not saying he's shit. I'm just saying I could imagine it being part of Allardyce's 'logic' in getting him in. I'm not quite sure what point you're making with the other 3 players you mention though as none of them are left-backs.

rumoured...and to suggest it makes no sense suggests you missed allardyce's managerial tenure

He isn't massively tall? only 6 foot.  Ramage is taller, so is Edgar.  Beye is also 6 foot.

I'm not saying he's s***. I'm just saying I could imagine it being part of Allardyce's 'logic' in getting him in. I'm not quite sure what point you're making with the other 3 players you mention though as none of them are left-backs.

I never said that you said he was shit.  :icon_scratch:

You suggest that Allardyce bought Enrique cause he is tall, just saying he isn't tall compared to other players who have played full back who are defenders here.

rumoured...and to suggest it makes no sense suggests you missed allardyce's managerial tenure

Just pointing out that it would foolish for him to suggest Baines shouldn't be here cause he is short, then play someone who is the same height in N'Zogbia.