A role for Geremi

TRon

I said a while back, I liked his ability to retain possession under pressure when he was coming in for criticism. When we played a 5 man midfield he was especially good because his 40-yr old legs (SBR) weren't needed as such. Well, Nicky Butt and Barton aren't exactly prime athletes so I don't see why they should play ahead of him in midfield. I also thought he did well at right back when he came on for 10 mins yesterday. Should he be starting and where?

He also looks to have hit a run of form right now - he made it into the ANC best XI.  That was at right back though, which is one place he's not needed.  Definitely worth trying out in a midfield that doesn't include Smith and Butt.

We've got a good enough RB, the last thing we need is to add another winger into the mix, so it's CM for me. Throw Butt out of the team and play Geremi instead.

Beye could go to centre defence though in place of Taylor as an alternative plan. Both options are viable and provide better passing as a much needed by product.

We've got a good enough RB, the last thing we need is to add another winger into the mix, so it's CM for me. Throw Butt out of the team and play Geremi instead.

Beye could go to centre defence though in place of Taylor as an alternative plan. Both options are viable and provide better passing as a much needed by product.

Play him at leftback until Enrique shows his hide again.

He cannot be any worse than Zoggy.

Guest ObaStar

Play him as wing-back like against Liverpool! He was cracking then!

Yes he lost that game all by himself I recall!

I thought that was Enrique? ???

whos enrique?

At this point, that'd be worth a shot.  Or maybe even Geremi in the centre, I dunno, but things are desperatley bad at this point, but there are still things to be tried.

not to make any rash judgements about his capability (I do agree that he's a better player than the s*** he showed under Sam)

but the adage "absence makes the heart grows fonder" seems to hold true for players in our squad. Geremi doesn't play for us for a couple months, and suddenly he's not s***. Martins hasn't played for a couple months so he's the answer to our problems. All ignoring that these were players that we were slagging off heavily before they left for the ANC.

You know why Emre's lasted as long as he has? Because he's always out injured at just about the right time.

Think Milner and Taylor could do very well with a two-month break right around now.

As far as I'm concerned, if Enrique isn't going to be played, then it has to be Geremi at right-back and Beye at left-back or vice versa.

We need N'Zogbia further up the pitch because he has defensive lapses and we need his attacking instincts.

i did the stadium tour a few months ago and that changing room needs a good sweep. Just keep him off the pitch.

Yes, he's crap. But -

He's no worse than Butt or Barton or Smith

None of whom would get a game anywhere else, the way they've played this season.

not to make any rash judgements about his capability (I do agree that he's a better player than the s*** he showed under Sam)

but the adage "absence makes the heart grows fonder" seems to hold true for players in our squad. Geremi doesn't play for us for a couple months, and suddenly he's not s***. Martins hasn't played for a couple months so he's the answer to our problems. All ignoring that these were players that we were slagging off heavily before they left for the ANC.

You know why Emre's lasted as long as he has? Because he's always out injured at just about the right time.

Think Milner and Taylor could do very well with a two-month break right around now.

i disagree. With Emre it's actually the opposite, his popularity rises when he has had a few games and gets into his stride, it's when he is injured that his stock plummets, everyone goes on about how unreliable and inconsistent he is, and the old myth about him improving when he doesnt play comes out.

Some may have realised that Geremi is better than Butt since he's been away, but a fair few thought that anyway and most still seem to think he's shite. As for Martins, even though he was in a poor run of form when he left and got a good deal of criticism, i think most realise how important he is to the side, the ACN has hardly changed that, especially since he was shite out there and got injured.

Geremi is a good squad/utility player as he can fill a number of positions. I woulden't have him in my preffered XI (see my sig), but deffinately would on the bench, as he could come on if needed for beye, faye or at a push Milner if needs be. He worth another try as a DM as he covered alot of ground, worked hard and is a better option than Butt and Smith.

There might be some truth in what you say, but tbf even when everyone was moaning how crap he was I didn't see it that way so this isn't in hidsight. I specifically mentioned that unlike many of our players he holds the ball well under pressure and passes well IMO. He's not the quickest but I think he's far better technically than Butt and would make us a bit more fluent in midfield. He did ok at RB in the limited time he had on the pitch.

I know statistics aren't the be all and end all of football, but when playing CM, Geremi has consistently been in the top 3 passers in the side (see Telegraph stats), usually with Owen and Cacapa.

Also, if you look at key contributions rather than assists (where you take into account the fact that scoring goals is not just about the assists and goalscorers, but players also have to get the assister onto the ball in space, and someone has to win the ball back off the opposition in the first place), Geremi was second to Emre iirc when it came to key contributions per minutes on the pitch when I counted back in late November I think it was. Given that we haven't scored many since I'd imagine he's still pretty high up there.

Also, a couple more to look at more to look at:

Only counting minutes spent at CM, here are the goals scored/goals conceded by team per 90 minutes played for both Geremi and Butt:

Geremi

Goals scored per 90 mins: 1.5

Goals conceded per 90 mins: 0.9

Butt

Goals scored per 90 mins: 1.0

Goals conceded per 90 mins: 2.1

A couple more stats. Only appearances of 45 mins or more at CM are counted:

Percentage of our wins during which player has featured at CM for at least 45 minutes: (wins with player at CM/total Newcastle wins)

Geremi - 89%

Butt - 67%

Percentage of our defeats during which player has featured at CM for at least 45 minutes:

Geremi - 20%

Butt - 93%

Games won with player at CM: (player wins/player appearances)

Geremi - 57%

Butt - 23%

Games drawn with player at CM:

Geremi - 21%

Butt - 23%

Games lost with player at CM:

Geremi - 21%

Butt - 54%