We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

and that might get us up to Liverpool's standard

the current champions, soon to be re-crowned, who slaughtered us on saturday, did so by virtue of the fact that their 5 forwards who played cost approx 70m between them to buy. Value now higher in the case of 4 of those players.

Not an academy player in sight among them.

Just goes to show eh ? What absolute crap is this "lets pour all our eggs into the youth policy" hoping to build successful sides on the cheap.

Man Utd have a great youth academy. It's called Portugal.

Man U can afford to buy the best thanks to ten years of success with the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Giggs, Butt, Brown etc

Exactly.

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

the current champions, soon to be re-crowned, who slaughtered us on saturday, did so by virtue of the fact that their 5 forwards who played cost approx 70m between them to buy. Value now higher in the case of 4 of those players.

Just goes to show eh ? What absolute crap is this "lets pour all our eggs into the youth policy" hoping to build successful sides on the cheap.

Man U can afford to buy the best thanks to ten years of success with the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Neville, Giggs, Butt, Brown etc

thats right, they never bought anybody before that, and neither did Liverpool during their 20 years of dominance.

:clap:

That would suggest success is built around a combination of the two.

Chelsea are the only currently succesful club without any cheaply sourced kids in the team.

I'm sure it's hard to organise the Summer transfers when we aren't 100% sure what division we are going to be in!

Sod the slowly building foundations idea. Ashley has enough cash to do the foundation building and blow a load of money on some potential 'instant' fix players (and I don't mean 'big name' trophy signings, I mean well researched players). Why not do both?

50m would get us on a par with Everton and Pompey IMO.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

It depends how wisely that money is spent. Newcastle more than anyone should know that spending big doesn't necessarily mean you will improve.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

It depends how wisely that money is spent. Newcastle more than anyone should know that spending big doesn't necessarily mean you will improve.

Exactly. Doesn't stop people thinking it's the be all and end all though.

thats right, they never bought anybody before that, and neither did Liverpool during their 20 years of dominance.

Chelsea are the only currently succesful club without any cheaply sourced kids in the team.

Apart from their captain.

Well reminded.

Further proof of the point then.

I'm sure it's hard to organise the Summer transfers when you aren't 100% sure what division we are going to be in!

Sod the slowly building foundations idea. Ashley has enough cash to do the foundation building and blow a load of money on some potential 'instant' fix players. Why not do both?

Because we are not in a position to get the best players at the best prices.  If your a top player who is good enough to get in to Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, why would you come to Newcastle? especially since there are clubs above us who are going to get in to Europe and they have the cash to match us for wages and transfer fee, if they need too.

The only way we can get the top players is if we outbid other teams or offer stupid wages.  We did this with Owen, and where are we now?  Has he made any god-damn difference on the pitch? no... but he has cost us millions to improve us nowt.

Spend sensibly in the market over time.  I'd take a top 10 finish next season with a £25million spend this summer over spunking £50 million+ on over-priced mercanaries and still not reaching Europe.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

Sadly too true.  Count the number of posts on here saying "we must spend £20m on a midfielder".  I'd have thought a good midfielder would be more useful and the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

I'm sure it's hard to organise the Summer transfers when you aren't 100% sure what division we are going to be in!

Sod the slowly building foundations idea. Ashley has enough cash to do the foundation building and blow a load of money on some potential 'instant' fix players. Why not do both?

Because we are not in a position to get the best players at the best prices.  If your a top player who is good enough to get in to Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, why would you come to Newcastle? especially since there are clubs above us who are going to get in to Europe and they have the cash to match us for wages and transfer fee, if they need too.

The only way we can get the top players is if we outbid other teams or offer stupid wages.  We did this with Owen, and where are we now?  Has he made any god-damn difference on the pitch? no... but he has cost us millions to improve us nowt.

Spend sensibly in the market over time.  I'd take a top 10 finish next season with a £25million spend this summer over spunking £50 million+ on over-priced mercanaries and still not reaching Europe.

It must have taken you ages to type that. I amended the wording of my original post about 10 minutes before you posted quoting what I had originally posted.

Well reminded.

Further proof of the point then.

the point being, of course, that to win trophies you need some quality "trophy signings"..........I realise that people will still twist basic facts of football to paint out the fat bastard in the worst light possible and deny that in this respect the idea of trying to buy the best players possible [in the opinion of their appointed manager] isn't so far away from success as has been made out, testified by the fact that only 4 clubs qualified for europe more than we did.

Based on our record of big money buys, I'm suprised anyone wants to persist with the approach.

Don't expect different results if you continue to do the same thing!!

don't bother trying to go down the proven successful method then, buy average players instead and go down  :clap:

Can't wait until 6 years time and these 17 year old kids are all going to be the next Gazza, guaranteed

Based on our record of big money buys, I'm suprised anyone wants to persist with the approach.

don't bother trying to go down the proven successful method then, buy average players instead and go down  :clap:

Can't wait until 6 years time and these 17 year old kids are all going to be the next Gazza, guaranteed

£85M spent in 3 years = zero success

As I've said, we need to spend well, not necessarily big.

I think this is the key, and Im trusting KK to spend any money well.

However I think a very large clearout is needed as weve been making too many excuses, for too long, for too many of our players

IMO  :razz:

spend well ? Of course you do, everybody thinks they are spending well otherwise they wouldn't spend. Plenty of people said openly that we spent well when we bought Boumsong and Luque. So why blame the fat bastard when they turned out to be shite ?

Plenty of people also said we sold well when we peddled Robert and Bellamy for 4m quid.

You need to buy big to be successful though.

Its extremely rare for a club to bring through a nucleus of young players who all become top quality together, the only ones I can think of is the manure set ie Neville, Beckham, Scholes etc.........the Leeds team of the 70's, and the Everton team of the early to mid 80's, and even then they still bought big players, proven internationals

There are lots more who buy quality/trophy players, having a cheque book is part of football, I don't understand people who don't think we should try and capatilise on our fanbase.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

Lets spend nothing then, see how far that gets us.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I said.

Straight out the 'NE5 book of straw-man building'.

spend well ? Of course you do, everybody thinks they are spending well otherwise they wouldn't spend. Plenty of people said openly that we spent well when we bought Boumsong and Luque. So why blame the fat b****** when they turned out to be s**** ?

Plenty of people also said we sold well when we peddled Robert and Bellamy for 4m quid.

You need to buy big to be successful though.

Its extremely rare for a club to bring through a nucleus of young players who all become top quality together, the only ones I can think of is the manure set ie Neville, Beckham, Scholes etc.........the Leeds team of the 70's, and the Everton team of the early to mid 80's, and even then they still bought big players, proven internationals

There are lots more who buy quality/trophy players, having a cheque book is part of football, I don't understand people who don't think we should try and capatilise on our fanbase.

just out of curiosity NE5 how much debt do you reckon it is safe to rack up in this glory chase ?

The bottom line is we need a lot of quality improvements in a lot of areas if we're seriously thinking about challenging for Europe again any time soon.  While developing homegrown talent that will be "good enough" one day is great and all (edit: and trust me, I really, really would love seeing this) it doesn't address the immediate issue, so spending "big" AND "well" on known talent is a must.  There's no way around it.

£25m could.

But £50m might not.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I said.

Straight out the 'NE5 book of straw-man building'.

So what will turn this club around? Positive thinking?  mackems.gif