With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wait and see, we won't get that much back off him anyway so lets see what he can do from now until the end of the season and at the beginning of next..

I agree. Keegan obviously wants to bounce the Board into a decision, but the reality is that none of the big four want him, and clubs outside the big four will have trouble in both matching his wages and convincing him to sign.

Man City are keen.  At least Sven is.

Tell Sven its £23 million, not a penny less. If the swede still wants him, then let him go.

With a year left on his contract, and less than 40 games played in 3 seasons, we'll be lucky to get £5M.

With an extended contract and lots of goals next year, who knows?

Exactly. But Sven is willing to throw silly money at players he wants. If he pays well we have loadsamoney. If he doesn't we still have Michael Owen

He has a release cause that makes him available in the summer & it is meant to go down in value, so last year it was £9 million, this summer it is meant to be £6 million.

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has revealed Michael Owen no longer has a buy-out clause in his contract.

Owen joined United from Real Madrid for £17million in August 2005 but his career on Tyneside has been blighted by injury so far. There has been recent speculation about Owen's future but Magpies chairman Mort claims there is no chance he could leave for a low fee.

He said: "There was a clause in Michael's contract which allowed him to leave for a certain fee during the last transfer window and the summer before that as well, but that sort of clause does not exist any longer."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1145251,00.html

The previous chairman said there was no release clauses when signed him.

Wait and see, we won't get that much back off him anyway so lets see what he can do from now until the end of the season and at the beginning of next..

I agree. Keegan obviously wants to bounce the Board into a decision, but the reality is that none of the big four want him, and clubs outside the big four will have trouble in both matching his wages and convincing him to sign.

Man City are keen.  At least Sven is.

Tell Sven its £23 million, not a penny less. If the swede still wants him, then let him go.

With a year left on his contract, and less than 40 games played in 3 seasons, we'll be lucky to get £5M.

With an extended contract and lots of goals next year, who knows?

Exactly. But Sven is willing to throw silly money at players he wants. If he pays well we have loadsamoney. If he doesn't we still have Michael Owen

He has a release cause that makes him available in the summer & it is meant to go down in value, so last year it was £9 million, this summer it is meant to be £6 million.

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has revealed Michael Owen no longer has a buy-out clause in his contract.

Owen joined United from Real Madrid for £17million in August 2005 but his career on Tyneside has been blighted by injury so far. There has been recent speculation about Owen's future but Magpies chairman Mort claims there is no chance he could leave for a low fee.

He said: "There was a clause in Michael's contract which allowed him to leave for a certain fee during the last transfer window and the summer before that as well, but that sort of clause does not exist any longer."

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1145251,00.html

The previous chairman said there was no release clauses when signed him.

He said there was no clause that he could leave after one year.

i thought keegan said contract renewals weren't even being considered for the time being.

That was for s*** players.

I also thought Taylor was impressive against Fulham, hardly put a foot wrong, he's not the shit player some on here like to make out, he's young and a little too over eager on occassions but I truely believe if we let him go we'll regret it because I think he'll mature into a top centre half.

I think he's pap.

His lap of honour and shirt donation after Saturdays game had me chewing my elbow.

what about the way he picks up the ball before one of OUR set pieces, walks five yards from the spot where its supposed to be taken, then throws it up in the air so the player taking it has to go out of his way to get it?

like to be centre of attention much steven?

Despite the last couple of games i stand by what i said. 2 games does make a season and i just don't see him being a long term success here. Disappointed to see Keegan is desperate to keep him, hopefully the men upstairs and/or Michael himself take a different view.

Hopefully the men upstairs have no say in it and let Keegan do his job without interfering.

If he was to get a contract i would like to see high bonus for goals and games and a huge % cut when he's out injured.

If not, even though he's hitting the net i'd see him gone and replaced over an increase of any kind.

£5m a year is far too much for what he offers, if we can get a fee for him say even £6m, by the end of the year that pays for an £11m player, someone like Gomis and a years wages, so really its no great loss if he goes imo.

My opinion of Owen's future here still hasn't swayed an awful lot; if we can get a good offer for him in the summer i wouldn't cry into my pillow if we let him go. I still think he's been more hassle than he's worth so far.

But he's certainly looked more up for it since confidence has been instilled in recent weeks, and i have faith in Keegan to rejuvinate him somewhat.

A few weeks ago i was: "If he stays... meh. If he goes... meh."

Now i'm more: "If he stays... cool. If he goes... meh."

If that's fickle then fair enough.

It's nice to see him hit a bit of form where it's most important (although i would hold him high up the 'responsible ladder' for points missed), and he is a good player. Still has a lot to prove in my eyes though, but i'm fully behind him.

Guest rebel_yell12

I don't understand the complaints about Owen's wages.  If Mike Ashley doesn't mind paying it -- and if rumours are true that Martins is asking for/being offered 90k a week -- then who am I to complain that the single most proven player (besides probably Shay Given) at Newcastle is the highest paid?  It's hardly as though the club is in massive amounts of debt or the like.  I'll let Ashley and Mort worry about whether or not the lad is paid 100k or 105k or 110k or whatever they think an internationally proven striker/newly appointed attacking midfielder (KK is tactically clueless?  No other manager seen that coming) and what sort of bonuses, etc. are on offer.

I'd suspect, in Ashley's figurings, Owen's marketability would come into play as well.  Who else at Newcastle is as sell-able outside the Tyneside area as Michael Owen?  Liverpool still sell relatively massive amounts of kits in Asia with "Owen" on the back (or so I learned on a Liverpool site some months ago) and he left there 4 years ago.  Owen's endorsed out his ears, a relative darling of the press and the pundits...he's merchandising gold.  Umbro have him on contract until he's 40, when he'll likely have been done playing for some years.  All in all, it's none of my affair if Mike Ashley wants to pay his employee 100k+ per week.  Unless he raises season ticket prices to support that (which he's shown no sign of doing, to my knowledge) it's not my money he's spending.  

Based on Owen's performances since Keegan's arrival and being handed the captaincy, I'd say re-sign him.  Forget the fact that he's paid what he is -- Michael Owen SHOULD be Newcastle's highest paid player, looking at the squad around him.  He's playing well, finally hit a run of fitness, and looks to be adapting himself into a solid team player as well as a goal threat.  There's also the fact that I'm a believer in letting the man the club hired to manage actually manage -- which means letting Keegan direct his transfers, etc.  He cost Newcastle points v. Blackburn (probably just 1, as I think Newcastle would've let a goal in at some point anyway) but he's PROVIDED six points from his six goals as well (2 v. Wigan, 2 v. Everton, 1 v. Boro, 1 v. Birmingham).  Considering Newcastle are six points off the relegation zone, Owen's goals have been rather influential. 

I'd be looking to keep him. I wouldn't want to up his pay, but if we could extend his current deal by two years that would be a reasonable bit of business. We need to overturn enough of the squad as it is and Owen is one of the better players we have.

we'd be 8 points worse off without his goals this season, that would put us 18th, and thats a fact

:lol: You can say that about any player. It's more worth pointing out that his finishing mis-haps have cost us three or four points.

If he was to get a contract i would like to see high bonus for goals and games and a huge % cut when he's out injured.

If not, even though he's hitting the net i'd see him gone and replaced over an increase of any kind.

£5m a year is far too much for what he offers, if we can get a fee for him say even £6m, by the end of the year that pays for an £11m player, someone like Gomis and a years wages, so really its no great loss if he goes imo.

Why should Owen pay for his injuries?  I get paid when I'm off work sick, and we got £7M back for the games Owen has missed.

Guest rebel_yell12

Against who, Yorkie-Geordie?  Owen missed two good chances v. Blackburn, and third half-chance -- I'd say he'd have scored at least one of those on a good day (he was clearly NOT having one), but I still think Newcastle would've let one in.  So I only gave him a 1 point loss on that match -- it's not as if Newcastle's defence have never lost a 1 goal lead Owen gave them (v. Villa, for instance).  I can almost see saying he cost Newcastle 3 points that day, but I can't find the fourth.  His disallowed goal v. Boro was not his fault...Villa he didn't have four chances, so you can't expect him to counteract 4 goals, Liverpool he didn't have 3 chances, ManUtd he certainly didn't have 5 chances...am I missing one?  

For those "interested" in my maths -- I only give a player 2 points for a match if the match was a draw without that goal:  Owen's goal v. Everton for example was worth two points, as the match would've drawn without it.  Same against Wigan.  His goal v. Fulham was "pointless" because it was Viduka's which won the match.  That's why Owen's been worth 6 points, in my estimation, not 8.  Still, six points from his six league goals rather shows that his goals are usually quite timely.

That's a good point, Happy Face.  The club was compensated for Owen's injuries -- to the tune of MORE than his yearly salary (a 7mil settlement to cover 5mil in wages) so that's hard to complain about.  And his wages whilst he was out with his thigh-strain in Nov-Dec were covered by the FA, so that's another half-mil been covered. 

Why should Owen pay for his injuries?  I get paid when I'm off work sick, and we got £7M back for the games Owen has missed.

Why should we?

I'd rather him be sold and his injuries and wages be someone else's problem.

we'd be 8 points worse off without his goals this season, that would put us 18th, and thats a fact

You do understand that if Owen wasn't playing, he'd have a replacement? We wouldn't just have 10 men on the field instead.

Why should we?

I'd rather him be sold and his injuries and wages be someone else's problem.

I think the FA paid for his last one, plus there's insurance which covers such things, like the bad injury before that.

As far him staying is concerned, if Keegan wants him to sign a new contract, that's fine with me. I'd like to think it'll be a little bit less than what he's on at present though.

You do understand that if Owen wasn't playing, he'd have a replacement? We wouldn't just have 10 men on the field instead.

Aye, but that would more than likely mean that Smith would be upfront.

Guest toonlass

i thought keegan said contract renewals weren't even being considered for the time being.

That was for s*** players.

I also thought Taylor was impressive against Fulham, hardly put a foot wrong, he's not the shit player some on here like to make out, he's young and a little too over eager on occassions but I truely believe if we let him go we'll regret it because I think he'll mature into a top centre half.

I think he's pap.

His lap of honour and shirt donation after Saturdays game had me chewing my elbow.

If he ran up all the steps to the Leazes level 7 after the game and gave shirt to one of the lads who had been making a noise all game then it might mean something  :laugh:

Despite the last couple of games i stand by what i said. 2 games does make a season and i just don't see him being a long term success here. Disappointed to see Keegan is desperate to keep him, hopefully the men upstairs and/or Michael himself take a different view.

Hopefully the men upstairs have no say in it and let Keegan do his job without interfering.

If a 100k+ a week contract is going to be handed out i would expect the men upstairs to have a say.

I would be delighted if he signed a new contract.  People saying sell him for £6m is laughable.  We signed Alan Smith for £6m :lol:  There is just no comparison between them at all.

you do understand it'd be alan smith?

i realise the fragility of my point, someone else would be playing, its actually 6 points and not 8, so i'll cut this short now and just say i think we should re-sign him, he's our best attacking player, end of

I wish people wouldn't keep using Smith's fee as some sort of figure to judge other players value against.

Alright,  Michael Chopra for £5m.  I'm just saying,  the fee for an English striker is just ridiculous.  The thought of selling Owen for £6m makes me cry a little bit.

I wish people wouldn't keep using Smith's fee as some sort of figure to judge other players value against.

Alright,  Michael Chopra for £5m.  I'm just saying,  the fee for an English striker is just ridiculous.  The thought of selling Owen for £6m makes me cry a little bit.

I wasn't having a dig at you mate, it just seems that everyone uses his transfer fee as some sort of benchmark even though everyone knows we paid way over the odds for him.