With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not going to be picky about it or anything.

In general, Owen was giving sub-par performances at a time when we were relying on him in-particular... given the other strikers' injury/absence/ineptness.

What about Shearer 97/98? Like Owen, had just came back from main injuries, like Owen, was playing in a sh*t Newcastle side, and scored 2 league goals in about 18-20 games. Don't remember Shearer getting the same criticism.

Good point. Shearer scored about 30 the year after.

And although I don't think he'll get that many (but he never has even at his peak), I'd predict Owen to get himself 20 in a Keegan team.

I agree he will almost certainly get you 20 goals a season and to guarantee that nowadays you'd need to be spending wacky Drogba or Eto type money, so he may not be such bad value after all.

The option would be to take a gamble, perhaps like our neighbours have in spending £12M on Jones and Chopra, and see how many goals that would buy you..............

He isn't almost certain to get you 20 goals at all and to suggest we'd have to spend on a Drogba or Eto'o type signing to replace him is living in a dreamland.

A few good games against s**** teams and typical of people on here they go way over the top.

First of all I'm neither typical of people on here, we all have our own minds, nor living in a dreamland.

I don't know, nor for that matter particularly care if you actually watch Michael Owen, but in my opinion he is a cut above anything else at Newcastle, and that is based more on his special ability rather than anyone else's shortcomings.

If you had watched him you'd have noticed how much of a team player he is, how well he uses the ball and his uncanny knack of getting in the right place before a defender against all teams.

His goal ratio at Newcastle would indicate that injury free he IS ALMOST CERTAIN to get 20 goals in a season.

And by the way, don't know how many matches you attend but trust me there are no "s**** teams" in today's Premiership.

Which league are you watching where there are no s*** teams?! Do you not think Derby, Fulham, Birmingham, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Reading and ourselves are s***? This is one of the worst leagues I can remember, bottom half are all poor.

If not you clearly aren't setting your sights too highly.

Every one of those teams you mention is full of international players, once upon a time only a few top English teams could boast several international players.

Hypothetically some of the teams you mention would easily have made top six in the old first division of 20-30 years ago such has been the rise in standard of our league.

No sorry,there are no s*** teams in the top tier of English football nowadays, just some teams that are worse than others.

Guest shaun11177

Because that is the type of deal Eto'o is on at Barcelona-he is only on 67000 basic-everything else is based on how he plays and how the team do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/01/sfnnew101.xml

Michael Owen once depicted his time playing under Kevin Keegan as a "dark phase" in his career but now the Newcastle captain is relishing the prospect of entering a bright new era with the St James' Park manager.

In his autobiography, Off the Record, Owen claimed Keegan's reign as England manager left him "scarred", but the pair seem to be hitting it off now. The international forward paid tribute to his manager after his third goal in three games in the 4-1 rout of Tottenham on Sunday ensured the Keegan revolution is finally gathering momentum two months after he returned to Newcastle.

"You can't just come in and wave a magic wand and it's probably been better that way because it dampened down expectations," Owen said. "If we'd won every game, I think everyone would think we were going to win the league next year.

"It's taken a bit of time for the manager to get his ideas across but now we're starting to get it together - and full credit to him for that.

"To come and play an attacking line-up like he did at Tottenham and in the last couple of games has worked a treat so far. Obviously he's positive. He instils confidence in everyone and now we're reaping the rewards."

With Newcastle close to Premier League safety, Owen is starting to look ahead optimistically, raising hopes that he might commit himself to the club on a long-term basis. "Hopefully, now we're coming towards the end of the season we'll keep getting results and then it will be exciting waiting for next season," said the 28-year-old, whose contract expires next year. "The manager will add to the squad and it'll be exciting over the summer."

Owen has scored five times in his last eight Newcastle appearances and is thriving in his new role behind attacking focal point Mark Viduka. "Everyone knows I'm a striker who scores goals and I'm best in the box, but I've enjoyed coming off and I'm still getting into the box and scoring," Owen said. "I can play a bit more and obviously when we're under the cosh it's always nice for the lads to have an outlet. That's my role at the minute and I'm enjoying it."

He also praised his former England team-mate Nicky Butt, whose goal inspired Newcastle's fightback against Tottenham. "Butty's probably been our most consistent player over the last two seasons," Owen said. "He's been fantastic and to pop up when it's mainly his job to keep things tight was really important."

"He's positive, he instils confidence in everyone and we're reaping the rewards for that now.

"We've had a poor season overall, let's not forget that, but when things go badly the fans still turn up in their droves and, when you're winning, there's no place like Newcastle.

"It makes it much better when you go out with your friends and family and feel good about yourself. The whole place will be buzzing.

I think he will sign a new deal, if not to stay then to insure we dont lose him for nothing, im sure he feels like he owes us enough after the money we paid for him to not have us left without him and without any money for losing him.

When was the last time Owen scored 20 goals in a season in all competitions? Now he's almost certain to do it for us even though we're not even in Europe? Yeah right. As for no shit teams in the Premiership, I've been watching one all season.

When was the last time Owen scored 20 goals in a season in all competitions? Now he's almost certain to do it for us even though we're not even in Europe? Yeah right. As for no shit teams in the Premiership, I've been watching one all season.

5 in his last 8 is it? Next season we will be more settled and have a better team, meaning he will get more service. IMO Owen is still a 20 goal a season forward and he is proving it right now, to say other wise is just ignorance.

Providing we can keep him in the current state of fitness and form he is a player worth hanging on to. He is doing a good job as a captain and having a player of his calibre (even if foremost by his name) can be a decent bait to attract other players if you can't offer them European football or the glamour of London.

What has pre career got to do with anything? Owen hasn't scored 20 goals in all competitions for what? The best part of 6 years? He's also managed 6 goals in his last 20 games. How people can say he's certain to score 20 for us really is unrealistic.

Providing we can keep him in the current state of fitness and form he is a player worth hanging on to. He is doing a good job as a captain and having a player of his calibre (even if foremost by his name) can be a decent bait to attract other players if you can't offer them European football or the glamour of London.

I agree. It would also cost a shitload to upgrade him at the moment.

What has pre career got to do with anything? Owen hasn't scored 20 goals in all competitions for what? The best part of 6 years? He's also managed 6 goals in his last 20 games. How people can say he's certain to score 20 for us really is unrealistic.

Im just saying he has been of that quality in the past. Also he was coming back to fitness, playing under Big Sam/Pearson/Keegan when he was finding his feet again. Now we seem to have a settled team and Owen is banging them in. Looking at the performances we are seeing now, i honestly believe next season if he avoids a major injury and with a more settled and better team, he will easily hit 15 or 20 plus goals.

Guest johnson293

Owen excited by Potential

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3372333,00.html

Newcastle striker Michael Owen has paid tribute to Kevin Keegan and predicted exciting times ahead at St James' Park.

The Magpies have eased their relegation fears with two successive wins and Owen believes the improved results are down to Keegan.

Owen, who has scored five goals in eight games under Keegan, has backed the Magpies to improve next season.

"It will take time. You can't just come in and wave a magic wand, but it's probably been better it's happened this way. It dampened down expectations straight away," Owen told The Mirror.

"If the manager had come in and we'd won every game, everyone would probably think we were going to win the league next year. It's taken a bit of time for the manager to get his ideas across, but we're starting to get it together and full credit to him.

"To play such an attacking line up as we did away to Tottenham and for the last couple of games has worked a treat so far.

Positive

"He's positive, he instils confidence in everyone and we're reaping the rewards for that now.

"We've had a poor season overall, let's not forget that, but when things go badly the fans still turn up in their droves and, when you're winning, there's no place like Newcastle.

"It makes it much better when you go out with your friends and family and feel good about yourself. The whole place will be buzzing.

"Hopefully, we can keep giving them good results until the end of the season and then it will be exciting waiting for next season.

"I'm sure the manager will add to the squad. It will be exciting during the summer."

Think those are some of the best/most positive comments I've seen from Owen since he joined us.

Perhaps he is enjoying his football under KK, and genuinely excited about the prospects here next season.

Acid test will be if a Champions League qualifying team comes in for him though!

Would love to think he'd be excited enough to stick with us for next season... at least!

What is unrealistic in expecting a player with Owen's stats to score 20 goals in an injury free season? Despite all the various problems he has (statistically) scored almost in every other game for Newcastle. If there is a player in the current squad you expect to score 20 goals then it's Owen.

i used to slate michael owen, but now i think hes back and fully fit and scoring goals again, works well, puts 110% every match and even plays with a smile on his face for once, also claps the fans at away games! never used too

and ive never wanted a player to sign a new contact as much as michael owen, can we get rid of his get out clause if thats still on his contract ? £9million or something?

hopefully he wants a future here under kk as our captain

i used to slate michael owen, but now i think hes back and fully fit and scoring goals again, works well, puts 110% every match and even plays with a smile on his face for once, also claps the fans at away games! never used too

and ive never wanted a player to sign a new contact as much as michael owen, can we get rid of his get out clause if thats still on his contract ? £9million or something?

Didn't Mort say that the clause no longer existed?

not sure, thats why im asking  :razz:

not sure, thats why im asking  :razz:

i'm 99% sure he did, although it this point i dont really think it matters, having a year left on your contract may aswell be a release clause anyway. of course there is always the likelihood he'll ask for one to be put in a new contract

Guest diddimz

reassuring comments from owen there, i would be over the moon if he signed a new contract. Sounds like he is really enjoying it now, cant blame, dont think theres many players that wouldnt enjoy playing under keegan.

I thought Owen had past it but he's changed my mind.

I don't think he will ever be the same type of player again but he can still be the goalscorer, which is great news for the club. If fit for a whole season he would get us 20 goals, no doubt doubt in my mind, along with Martins getting 15 we'd finish in the top half.

My main issue is that i worry Owen will get injured again very soon, there's always one around the corner. Therefore in the summer i'd be looking for an Eidur Gudjohnsen esq player to add to the squad in case of an absence to any of the front three (assuming KK intends to play that way).

If someone makes a bid of £10m+, we'd be pretty stupid to refuse it.

Decky, you said he's in good form and all that and I agree, and of course he's showing himself to be a good all-round footballer but he's NEVER scored 20 league goals in a season in his career. He's just not a durable player that we can depend on for a whole season. He'll always pick up little niggling injuries and this injury-free run that he's had is his best for something like 4 years - it says a lot about Owen's injury-proneness that 16 games in a row is his best run for 4 years.

It's unbelievable that having been called 'one of the best strikers in the world, 'top quality', 'his left foot would cost £30m' (Houllier) and having won the Ballon d'Or, Michael Owen has never scored 20 league goals in one season.

I don't think anyone will be making daft offers when he's in the last year of his contract. Even though he's playing well right now, I would ideally look to get a really top playmaker in that position for next season, because I'm never too confident Owen will stay injury-free. Against that, at least he looks enthusiastic about being here now, and if Keegan really wants him then his judgement should be backed.

Guest rebel_yell12

If someone makes a bid of £10m+, we'd be pretty stupid to refuse it.

Decky, you said he's in good form and all that and I agree, and of course he's showing himself to be a good all-round footballer but he's NEVER scored 20 league goals in a season in his career. He's just not a durable player that we can depend on for a whole season. He'll always pick up little niggling injuries and this injury-free run that he's had is his best for something like 4 years - it says a lot about Owen's injury-proneness that 16 games in a row is his best run for 4 years.

It's unbelievable that having been called 'one of the best strikers in the world, 'top quality', 'his left foot would cost £30m' (Houllier) and having won the Ballon d'Or, Michael Owen has never scored 20 league goals in one season.

The bold bit rather answers your final point.  Aside from his first season at Liverpool, when he won the Golden Boot despite only 18 (I think) goals in the league, has Owen ever had a season that wasn't interrupted by injuries?  Even the Treble Year, with the FA Cup victory, Owen was out a good portion of the mid-season from his bad head injury at Derby County.  Since he first done his hamstring, Owen's had problems.  If he doesn't catch Charlton for England, it'll be because of injuries, imo.  The fact that he's STILL in the top 10 ever Premiership scorers, proves that he's been consistent when he's fit, though.

• 1 month later...

Played his longest run of games for the club and scored 2 in the last 3 games.

I reckon he can finish the season with 15 goals if he stays fit, which would be no mean feat considering injuries.

At least, that should be his target.

If he does, I'd renew.

You reckon he can hit nine goals in eleven games? For us? ???

:snod:

Ooooooooooh

Just 2 short.

Played his longest run of games for the club and scored 2 in the last 3 games.

I reckon he can finish the season with 15 goals if he stays fit, which would be no mean feat considering injuries.

At least, that should be his target.

If he does, I'd renew.

You reckon he can hit nine goals in eleven games? For us? ???

:snod:

Ooooooooooh

Just 2 short.

So, no new contract for Owen then?