Keegan eyes spending spree

sparta

Keegan's in a tough spot to be sure.  He knows the team is hurting confidence-wise and to say that he'll need to bring in ~10 players will probably hurt confidence even more.  On the other hand, he wants to show that there is some light at the end of the tunnel for next year.  He can't be trying to pump up the team and prevent a relegation free fall out of one side of his mouth and be trying to tell fans he'll be active in the summer transfer market out of the other side of his mouth.

Rock and a hard place for sure.

I agree, I don't think Keegan will really be telling the truth about his plans until the season is over so I will be taking his comments with a pinch of salt until then.

Guest shaun11177

I am getting a bit fed up with KK saying the squad is small-its 20 players+Rozenhal who we didnt have to send on loan. Its not as if we are in Europe.

I am getting a bit fed up with KK saying the squad is small-its 20 players+Rozenhal who we didnt have to send on loan. Its not as if we are in Europe.

Small squad is basically a way of saying shit squad without pissing off all the players.

Winter window signings would of enabled us to get 40pts for the season.

As it stands, its going to be close that we get 35pts nevermind 40.

Disgraceful all round.

If we survive, it won't be disgraceful. It'll have given him 5 months to have a look at the players at the club and 5 months to scout players. If we survive, it'll have been a wise decision not to sign anyone in the Jan window.

Guest mr quimbys beard

I dont like the "we havent really discussed it" bit, surely they should be sussing out players and amounts to spend just to get a headstart when the race to sign players starts, given that we stay up of course.

Disgraceful all round.

If we survive, it won't be disgraceful. It'll have given him 5 months to have a look at the players at the club and 5 months to scout players. If we survive, it'll have been a wise decision not to sign anyone in the Jan window.

Wise? Jesus Christ. It will be fortunate.

Wise would of been getting some players in who could spark a very poor season.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

I dont like the "we havent really discussed it" bit, surely they should be sussing out players and amounts to spend just to get a headstart when the race to sign players starts, given that we stay up of course.

Well there ain't much to discuss at this point, as the transfer window is locked shut and there is still a small chance we could get relegated.

Guest float one in

5 high class players, i.e. straight-into-the-first-team players, would be enough in the summer I reckon. 5 new outfield players out of 10 (assuming we'll still have Given/Harper in nets) is a massive change in one summer and would be enough to transform the team as a whole IF they are good enough and in the right positions. Having said that I'd doubt even KK will be 100% successful and you'd expect at least one new signing maybe not to fit in straight away, so you'd be down to 3/4 players to make that impact. That is still absolutely possible, and I expect a few of our current attacking players (Duff, Milner,Zogs for sure) to show a big improvement with better players around them.

Although we can't really hope for a Ginola-Ferdinand type impact, as they were real class players coming into a class team, surely the money that Ashley will make available and KK's eye for a player will see us get a hanful of players in who can really make a difference to this team.

Let's not forget that they'll all have a full pre-season with KK as well - that could be very significant. He'll have them full of confidence and bursting to start the season, to a degree that Souness, Roeder and Allardyce were not capable of.

I think if we aimed for more, say 10, new players in one summer we might end up going for a bit of a scatter gun approach and taking gambles on players from here there and everywhere (which could well result in a few more Rosenhals).

I doubt there'll be the mass clear out that some are predicting - I'd like to see maybe 4-5 players get the boot (thinking of the likes of Stroller and Viduka here). With 3-5 first choice players coming in and hopefully making an impact, a canny few of those we are not happy with at the minute will end up as squad players, and thinks will look a lot better.

I'd like to see him go for 2 attack minded fullbacks like Shorey and Chimbonda, put Beye and Faye in the middle.

Then go for a centre mid that can pass the ball, another that can push forward and link up with the front men and a right winger that's a step up in quality from Milner.

Four or five of the right quality going straight into the first team will transform us.

Carr, Ramage and probably Rozehnal will be leaving anyway (contracts up/Lazio), so that's two or three more I suppose.

Agreed.

Disgraceful all round.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short-term outlook.

Wise? Fortunate? Semantics as far as I'm concern. We won't be stuck with overpaid players whom we've overpaid for and might not even need.

Disgraceful all round.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Wise? Fortunate? Semantics as far as I'm concern. We won't be stuck with overpaid players whom we've overpaid for and might not even need.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own shit.

We are already stuck with overpaid wasters, and what's to say KK in the summer (and what's to say he would do it in the winter window) wont do the same again or equally as bad, stick with the wasters we've got and treat them like 1st teamers?

Disgraceful all round.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own s***.

We are already stuck with overpaid wasters, and what's to say KK in the summer (and what's to say he would do it in the winter window) wont do the same again or equally as bad, stick with the wasters we've got and treat them like 1st teamers?

inactivity ?  the club was active but without getting the players in...there is a difference.

if you can not get in the players you want do you think it's right to get others in for the sake of it ?

exactly what stuck out for me too, and its not like Kevin at all to say something like that or intimate that he has signed on the dotted line with no idea of what ambition the club has

Replacement for N'Zogbia? :(

Someone who can actually contribute something to the team would be good.

I'd even take Downing over Charlie I'm afraid.

not sure I'd go that far, but I think Downing is a very accomplished and talented player that I would like us to have at the club.

Impresses me more every time I see him.

Disgraceful all round.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own shit.

absolutely spot on and I can't see how people can't see it or admit it, with a relegation fight staring us in the face and a dispirited small squad of players, how can it be anything different.

Well, I can see why they won't admit it like.

Guest Knightrider

exactly what stuck out for me too, and its not like Kevin at all to say something like that or intimate that he has signed on the dotted line with no idea of what ambition the club has

KK's way of getting away from the issue being pressed by whoever was asking the question in my opinion. If he said he'd discussed it or they talk about it all the time the speculation would increase tenfold, speculation that can be distracting and where the media are concerned, pure bullshit most of the time. There is no way money and transfers haven't been discussed yet. In fact KK will have know from day one what's available and if what I've heard anyway, there is no specific limit. If he wants a player the club will try and get him that player, if he wants more money, the club will look into it, which is the way it should be.

KK's way of getting away from the issue being pressed by whoever was asking the question in my opinion. If he said he'd discussed it or they talk about it all the time the speculation would increase tenfold, speculation that can be distracting and where the media are concerned, pure bullshit most of the time. There is no way money and transfers haven't been discussed yet. In fact KK will have know from day one what's available and if what I've heard anyway, there is no specific limit. If he wants a player the club will try and get him that player, if he wants more money, the club will look into it, which is the way it should be.

...and if the money isn't forthcoming you think he'll walk?