Keegan eyes spending spree

sparta

Guest Knightrider

I dont like the "we havent really discussed it" bit, surely they should be sussing out players and amounts to spend just to get a headstart when the race to sign players starts, given that we stay up of course.

exactly what stuck out for me too, and its not like Kevin at all to say something like that or intimate that he has signed on the dotted line with no idea of what ambition the club has

KK's way of getting away from the issue being pressed by whoever was asking the question in my opinion. If he said he'd discussed it or they talk about it all the time the speculation would increase tenfold, speculation that can be distracting and where the media are concerned, pure bullshit most of the time. There is no way money and transfers haven't been discussed yet. In fact KK will have know from day one what's available and if what I've heard anyway, there is no specific limit. If he wants a player the club will try and get him that player, if he wants more money, the club will look into it, which is the way it should be.

...and if the money isn't forthcoming you think he'll walk?

He wouldn't have joined if there was no money to be had and while Ashley could go back on his word, why would he? In fact I think the main reason KK was re-appointed boils down to money. I get the impression, despite his wealth and what he's already spent on the club, Ashley will only hand mega money over to someone he can trust to spend it on quality and on good players, i.e. getting his money worth. KK is well proven (pro-ven for Keefaz ;)) in that area. Wise et al are there to make sure he won't have to keep spending mega money in years to come which will of course be defeating the whole object. I think he''ll splash big big money because KK is his quick fix, that's what he's here for, to do a specific one off job. Be excited. When KK was at Man City and was asked why he can't turn them into challengers like he did at NUFC he said give me lots of money and I will, so he knows the score and I'm sure Ashley does too. KK wouldn't have come back, the money, the chance to buy top players, the ambition to spend that money, is why he's here. He's not here to build the club up slowly ala Big Sam or do a caretaker stint, he's here to make a big impact again which is what Ashley also happens to want to do. We were prepared to pay 7-8m on a fitness risk Woodgate which should show people the money is there or will come and that Ashley trusts KK. He didn't trust Big Sam and he wouldn't have trusted the likes of Hughes. That's why we went for Redknapp because he's good at spending money and buying in quality flair players or working with them, as KK is.

FWIW, i think we'll shock everyone with how much we spend this summer.

we'll be the biggest spenders in the leaguethis summer imo (besides chelsea if the £100m part today is true), keegan wouldnt have risked his rep (with us) on this rabble if he wasnt going to get mass fuding.

as HTT says, wise is there so ashley doesnt have to keep on spending mega bucks, but i honestly believe we will spend huge in the short term

Winter window signings would of enabled us to get 40pts for the season.

As it stands, its going to be close that we get 35pts nevermind 40.

Disgraceful all round.

If we survive, it won't be disgraceful. It'll have given him 5 months to have a look at the players at the club and 5 months to scout players. If we survive, it'll have been a wise decision not to sign anyone in the Jan window.

Wise? Jesus Christ. It will be fortunate.

Wise would of been getting some players in who could spark a very poor season.

Wise? mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short-term outlook.

Wise? Fortunate? Semantics as far as I'm concern. We won't be stuck with overpaid players whom we've overpaid for and might not even need.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own shit.

We are already stuck with overpaid wasters, and what's to say KK in the summer (and what's to say he would do it in the winter window) wont do the same again or equally as bad, stick with the wasters we've got and treat them like 1st teamers?

So you're suggesting that someone who's been out of football for 3 years comes in and spends £10m each on players that he hasn't seen before to 'spark' a poor season.

mackems.gif

Why not wait until the summer? The season is a write-off anyway. I'm not going to get into argument about why that is the case, but the fact is, at the time Keegan came in, we had little chance of Europe. Get your head around that fact. This 'spark' would have costed us a tidy sum (since it costs money to buy quality players and they cost EVEN MORE in January) and Keegan wouldn't have fucking known who to buy anyway. He would have had to spend money on a) players he hadn't seen before, or b) lesser quality players that he knew i.e. Premiership players playing for mid-table teams. Now, which Premiership teams would sell to us in January for a reasonable fee? No one. Do you think Bentley would have come in had we offered Blackburn £10m in Jan? Do you think a team with an outside chance of getting into the Champions League would sell one of their key players for £10m in the middle of the fucking season?

Why not let him wait 5 months to evaluate the players he has at the club? Why not give him 5 months to scout players around Europe before spending his allotted sum of money? If we survive, Keegan's decision not to spend will be proved to be very astute because he's now had ample time to see things the way they really are.

Like I said, if you wanted him to spend money just to satisfy your stupid urge, then it is a very short-term outlook.

All of this hinges on whether we survive. But if we survive, Keegan will have done the right thing.

Winter window signings would of enabled us to get 40pts for the season.

As it stands, its going to be close that we get 35pts nevermind 40.

Disgraceful all round.

If we survive, it won't be disgraceful. It'll have given him 5 months to have a look at the players at the club and 5 months to scout players. If we survive, it'll have been a wise decision not to sign anyone in the Jan window.

Wise? Jesus Christ. It will be fortunate.

Wise would of been getting some players in who could spark a very poor season.

Wise?  mackems.gif

Fuking hell.

Typical short-term outlook.

Wise? Fortunate? Semantics as far as I'm concern. We won't be stuck with overpaid players whom we've overpaid for and might not even need.

Typical short term look?

Shut the fuk up man,

If you cannot see that our inactivity in the winter window has had a negative effect on this club you want (and i've thought this for a while now) shot with your own shit.

We are already stuck with overpaid wasters, and what's to say KK in the summer (and what's to say he would do it in the winter window) wont do the same again or equally as bad, stick with the wasters we've got and treat them like 1st teamers?

So you're suggesting that someone who's been out of football for 3 years comes in and spends £10m each on players that he hasn't seen before to 'spark' a poor season.

mackems.gif

Why not wait until the summer? The season is a write-off anyway. I'm not going to get into argument about why that is the case, but the fact is, at the time Keegan came in, we had little chance of Europe. Get your head around that fact. This 'spark' would have costed us a tidy sum (since it costs money to buy quality players and they cost EVEN MORE in January) and Keegan wouldn't have fucking known who to buy anyway. He would have had to spend money on a) players he hadn't seen before, or b) lesser quality players that he knew i.e. Premiership players playing for mid-table teams. Now, which Premiership teams would sell to us in January for a reasonable fee? No one. Do you think Bentley would have come in had we offered Blackburn £10m in Jan? Do you think a team with an outside chance of getting into the Champions League would sell one of their key players for £10m in the middle of the fucking season?

Why not let him wait 5 months to evaluate the players he has at the club? Why not give him 5 months to scout players around Europe before spending his allotted sum of money? If we survive, Keegan's decision not to spend will be proved to be very astute because he's now had ample time to see things the way they really are.

Like I said, if you wanted him to spend money just to satisfy your stupid urge, then it is a very short-term outlook.

All of this hinges on whether we survive. But if we survive, Keegan will have done the right thing.

You make valid points to a degree but where I think it fails is that you don't realise that people can come into a football club and see straight away what the most overwhelming need is. Keegan would not have needed 4 or 5 games to see what we needed, he would have seen it after 90 minutes, and his people in the dugout would have already known precisely the same thing and confirmed to him that he was correct.

Unless they are all complete dickheads of course.

I don't think the decision to buy or not to buy is either good or bad to be honest, if it is Keegans and I hope it is because if people meddle into this area then he WILL walk out, I think the decision not to buy is an absolutely huge gamble, and personally I think they should have targetted one or two players and just got them, I'm thinking of David Bentley here who's value in the summer will be more than it would have been 6 weeks ago.

exactly what stuck out for me too, and its not like Kevin at all to say something like that or intimate that he has signed on the dotted line with no idea of what ambition the club has

Typical.   bluelaugh.gif

You make valid points to a degree but where I think it fails is that you don't realise that people can come into a football club and see straight away what the most overwhelming need is. Keegan would not have needed 4 or 5 games to see what we needed, he would have seen it after 90 minutes, and his people in the dugout would have already known precisely the same thing and confirmed to him that he was correct.

I don't think the decision to buy or not to buy is either good or bad to be honest, if it is Keegans and I hope it is because if people meddle into this area then he WILL walk out, I think the decision not to buy is an absolutely huge gamble, and personally I think they should have targetted one or two players and just got them, I'm thinking of David Bentley here who's value in the summer will be more than it would have been 6 weeks ago.

Did we make any bids for players in the last window?

Why do you think Bentley's value will go up in the summer, NE5? Considering Blackburn will find it much easier to get someone in to replace him (having an entire summer to do so) and the fact he can't increase his value by impressing for England (missing out on Euro2008), I don't really see why he will suddenly cost more.

Did we make any bids for players in the last window?

yawn

The last board managed to get Woodgate in the January, right or wrong ?

I don't expect you to understand this or acknowledge a possible reason for it. Yawn.

Why do you think Bentley's value will go up in the summer, NE5? Considering Blackburn will find it much easier to get someone in to replace him (having an entire summer to do so) and the fact he can't increase his value by playing for England (missing out on Euro2008), I don't really see why he will suddenly cost more.

he's had another England cap for starters

Why do you think Bentley's value will go up in the summer, NE5? Considering Blackburn will find it much easier to get someone in to replace him (having an entire summer to do so) and the fact he can't increase his value by playing for England (missing out on Euro2008), I don't really see why he will suddenly cost more.

The friendly against Switzerland? Everyone knew he'd be called up for that game.

yawn

I don't expect you to understand this or acknowledge a possible reason for it. Yawn.

Different times and a totally different situation, the same “old board” also failed to get him when he chose Boro?

Typical.   bluelaugh.gif

indeed. These people who think our directors in the 1980's who sold our best players and were staring at the 3rd division, are "the same as" the ones who picked up the cobwebs and left us qualifying regularly for europe, more than every team bar 4.

Typical .

You didn't reply to my comment a few days ago about as soon as the Halls and Shepherd go, we are back to where they found us. Why not.

You quite simply haven't got a clue. I just bet you sit in the working mans clubs listening to all the old fogies talking absolute shite saying that the team who won the FA Cup in the 1950's had loads of "stars" in it when their league positions were 5th, 4th, 8th, 16th, 8th, 11th, 17th, 19th.

That actually means the 3 consecutive top 5 positions, under Shepherd and Hall, were the best in over 60 years. What a shame you have to admit that the despicable pie eater was chairman when we did this  mackems.gif

Still, I'm sure you are right if you way that every other chairman since the 1940's at least has been in charge of the club when they achieved better league positions and didn't embarrass you  mackems.gif

HAHA. What a Joker you are mackems.gif

yawn

Different times and a totally different situation, the same “old board” also failed to get him when he chose Boro?

We will see if they match the challenge of their time, like the last board did. Speaking of the smoggies, why do they buy a striker for 12 m quid when we can't, or won't.

You don't remember the days when they bought Irving Nattrass and Micky Burns from us, and we took Stuart Boam for free in an exchange.

I don't suppose you do, because you should then admit that this sort of thing hasn't happened since, err, 1992/

:idiot2:

indeed. These people who think our directors in the 1980's who sold our best players and were staring at the 3rd division, are "the same as" the ones who picked up the cobwebs and left us qualifying regularly for europe, more than every team bar 4.

Typical .

You didn't reply to my comment a few days ago about as soon as the Halls and Shepherd go, we are back to where they found us. Why not.

You quite simply haven't got a clue. I just bet you sit in the working mans clubs listening to all the old fogies talking absolute s**** saying that the team who won the FA Cup in the 1950's had loads of "stars" in it when their league positions were 5th, 4th, 8th, 16th, 8th, 11th, 17th, 19th.

That actually means the 3 consecutive top 5 positions, under Shepherd and Hall, were the best in over 60 years. What a shame you have to admit that the despicable pie eater was chairman when we did this  mackems.gif

Still, I'm sure you are right if you way that every other chairman since the 1940's at least has been in charge of the club when they achieved better league positions and didn't embarrass you  mackems.gif

HAHA. What a Joker you are mackems.gif

bluelaugh.gif

The use of "typical" was a reaction, I didn't expect it to turn out to be a prediction, I guess I was wrong.

The friendly against Switzerland? Everyone knew he'd be called up for that game.

That's true, but he is the nearest thing England has to Beckham in his prime, SWP is far too erratic and Lennon would be good if he could cross a ball.  I think Bentley's value is £15m and rising.  Whinger made as big a mistake selling Bentley for £3m (?) as he did buying Jeffers for £10m.

We will see if they match the challenge of their time, like the last board did. Speaking of the smoggies, why do they buy a striker for 12 m quid when we can't, or won't.

You don't remember the days when they bought Irving Nattrass and Micky Burns from us, and we took Stuart Boam for free in an exchange.

I don't suppose you do, because you should then admit that this sort of thing hasn't happened since, err, 1992/

:idiot2:

Remind me what that has got to do with you mentioning us missing out on Woodgate under Ashley and Mort in the same way we missed out on him under Shepherd?

Give it a rest NE5, people don't want to read the same s**** patter from you every f****** day, you're about as original as Les Dennis with his "I don't really know" impression from Coronation Street. 

He wants us to fail just so he can have a go at Ashley and Mort, I can't get my head around that. :doh: