Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

For his second Anelka cut back inside and crossed it to him by the penalty spot, with both feet off the floor he hits a right foot volley back across the keeper into the bottom corner.

A stunning second-half double from Newcastle United target Bafetimbi Gomis saw France warm up for Euro 2008 with a 2-0 victory over Ecuador.

Raymond Domenech’s side struggled to impose themselves against their visitors, but ended up victorious thanks to two excellent finishes from the man nicknamed the new Didier Drogba.

Gomis turned on the edge of the area and released an unstoppable drive past keeper Marcelo Elizaga on 60 minutes before volleying home a Nicolas Anelka cross with five minutes remaining.

But the French struggled to gain the upper hand throughout a tight encounter in Paris.

Headed chances came and went in the first half for former Liverpool strikers Djibril Cisse and Anelka, but it was Ecuador who could and probably should have broken the deadlock.

Carlos Tenorio was released through the centre eight minutes before the break and rounded keeper Sebastien Frey before hitting the ball straight at Lilian Thuram on the line.

But Tenorio had a second bite at the cherry, and again struck the ball at Thuram who somehow managed to divert the ball over the crossbar while firmly planted on the floor.

But with France labouring to create a meaningful chance, Gomis lit up evening and gave Kevin Keegan a glimpse of what could be.

The St Etienne striker, earning his first international cap, fired the hosts ahead with an unstoppable drive and rounded off the evening with an acrobatic volley past Elizaga from Anelka’s pin-point cross.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/27/intl-France-v-Ecuador-report/

Anyone see the snippet in the Daily Mail (I know) today about NUFC scouting Gomis?

It said Keegan & McDermott sat in separate seats to Wise and co and then at half time they were all in the same hospitality area and never said a word to each other.

Anyone see the snippet in the Daily Mail (I know) today about NUFC scouting Gomis?

It said Keegan & McDermott sat in separate seats to Wise and co and then at half time they were all in the same hospitality area and never said a word to each other.

Like the fucking Mail were at the game.

Like the fucking Mail were at the game.

Great journalists if all they were doing was sitting with binoculars looking at our scouting-team :lol:

Oh man ... yet more stories of fractions and discord.

We need a positive sign from somewhere , this is doing my head in.