Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder 36s

Hearing that Bafetimbi Gomis is furious over Lyon's stance regarding #nufc interest. Spats of moves for HBA, Cisse and Debuchy this one.

Huh, Cisse was our one transfer that was done and dusted before anyone knew anything about it.

It was awesome, I went to the toilet and went on the internet on my phone. I was already on twitter so the first thing I read was a local journo congratulating Newcastle on pulling off the Cisse transfer and I was  ???

Came on here and saw the thread  :smitten:

Why is our recruitment bad? I think we've assembled a pretty good squad without spending barely anything.

Squad.  You call having Shola Ameobi as your 2nd choice striker a f****** squad!

Exactly.

We target whoever we can get for less than they're worth. I hate it. It's no way to build any sort of effective footballing unit.

The players we recruit are quality for decent prices. The quantity and structure of our recruitment is woefully inept.

They're rarely what we actually 'need'.

Isn't that down to the manager? I assume he gives the recruitment team some sort of brief on what sort of players he wants. If he doesn't he's only got himself to blame.

Like he gets a say at all, man.

Why is our recruitment bad? I think we've assembled a pretty good squad without spending barely anything.

Squad.  You call having Shola Ameobi as your 2nd choice striker a f****** squad!

Exactly.

We target whoever we can get for less than they're worth. I hate it. It's no way to build any sort of effective footballing unit.

The players we recruit are quality for decent prices. The quantity and structure of our recruitment is woefully inept.

They're rarely what we actually 'need'.

Isn't that down to the manager? I assume he gives the recruitment team some sort of brief on what sort of players he wants. If he doesn't he's only got himself to blame.

Like he gets a say at all, man.

According to him he does.

Haven't read the thread but £6.9m seems like a good price for a decent player with a year left on his contract. The player also wants a move so I feel like Lyon are the biggest cunts in this and are not going to get a better offer than the one Ashley made.

Haven't read the thread but £6.9m seems like a good price for a decent player with a year left on his contract. The player also wants a move so I feel like Lyon are the biggest cunts in this and are not going to get a better offer than the one Ashley made.

Agreed.  £7m for a player who will be free in about 10 months and wants to leave his club is a more than generous offer.

Lyon are being greedy cunts and trying to get more than they should, this one isn't Ashley's fault for not lying down and allowing himself to be held to ransom.

Have to agree with Ronny here. It's scattergun stuff just to pick up bargains.

We dont actually need strikers at the moment then?  We didnt need a right back when we signed Debuchy?  Or Santon either after Enrique left?..  Should I go on?  Value is obviously quite a big factor, to much so, but its far from the only factor behind who we sign.

Santon wasn't up to replacing Enrique when we first signed him and 2 years later still isn't as good as him, so he isn't a great example.

We need replacements for Jonas and Shola and competition for Cisse as a matter or urgency, yet here we are trying to grind out deals for players with vulnerable contracts.

Can't see how it's being held to ransom to have to offer the same as other clubs did earlier in the summer. Lyon are saying the price is the price, we're all about the brinkmanship. As usual.

They don't have to accept if they don't want to. Plus in their eyes there is still plenty of time left for other clubs to match their valuation.

Lets see if they get a better offer from a club he wants to go to. If they do fair play but like the Villa and Bent situation I can't see how a club can back themselves so far into a corner then demand silly money for a player.

If we really wanted him then he'd be here by now. We've offered a decent amount of money in the circumstances and a little (relatively speaking) more would get the deal done. It just smacks of trying to do things on the cheap every single time when sometimes it's not a case of 'we can't afford to' and more a case of 'we can't afford not to'.

Going into the season with just Cisse, Gouffran Shola and Campbell is suicide. We need to invest, we need to strengthen and failure to do so will mean a relegation battle from Day 1. The lack of ambition is truly embarrassing.

Weird thing is how their chairman said we were close to a deal when they reportedly rejected our 4m bid. Obviously the press have little clue about the actual figures but makes it look like they are moving the goalposts everytime we bid. 4-10m is not close last time I looked.

If we really wanted him then he'd be here by now. We've offered a decent amount of money in the circumstances and a little (relatively speaking) more would get the deal done. It just smacks of trying to do things on the cheap every single time when sometimes it's not a case of 'we can't afford to' and more a case of 'we can't afford not to'.

Going into the season with just Cisse, Gouffran Shola and Campbell is suicide. We need to invest, we need to strengthen and failure to do so will mean a relegation battle from Day 1. The lack of ambition is truly embarrassing.

If scrimping and playing it out means we get both Gomis and Remy rather than spending too much on one and not getting both then I know where I stand. Remy looks like a loan but we will be looking to buy and to buy in the winter so will be part of this seasons spends. However it does get to a point where we need to just go for it, but I really don't feel we are at that point even with the season closing in, mainly down to the fact I think £7m is more than a reasonable fee for him in his contractual situation.

Weird thing is how their chairman said we were close to a deal when they reportedly rejected our 4m bid. Obviously the press have little clue about the actual figures but makes it look like they are moving the goalposts everytime we bid. 4-10m is not close last time I looked.

I would assume the originally reported £4m was likely wrong.

We're more desperate for pacey wide players than anything but if it's not available on the cheap, we're not interested.

Is 7m cheap? Was 12m on Debuxhy and Mbiwa cheap? Was Anita cheap at 6m? We've been right up there with the top spenders in the last two January windows. We've had 1 bad window in the last 4- let's wait and see what happens with this one.

The 'we're cheap bastards' line is as bad as the 'we sell all our good players' line.

We look for value for money. I don't always agree with it but that's the way it is.

We're more desperate for pacey wide players than anything but if it's not available on the cheap, we're not interested.

Is 7m cheap? Was 12m on Debuxhy and Mbiwa cheap? Was Anita cheap at 6m? We've been right up there with the top spenders in the last two January windows. We've had 1 bad window in the last 4- let's wait and see what happens with this one.

The 'we're cheap bastards' line is as bad as the 'we sell all our good players' line.

We look for value for money. I don't always agree with it but that's the way it is.

We've had to pay more money in January than everyone else because we were too tight to pay for players in the summer - you know, when you're actually meant to do most of your business? When other real football clubs do it?

Debuchy? We wouldn't pay the going rate for him in the summer then when we bought him after relying solely on Simpson for five months our manager whinged like fuck that he'd had to throw them straight into a relegation fight. That's what pre season is meant to be for but why bother when you can throw half a season down the toilet to try and get a pound off?

Is 7 million cheap for Gomis? Dunno, never seen him play. I know the clubs we're meant to be competing with are attempting to spend 20-40 million on strikers so make up your own mind. Utterly laughable people trying to claim that we do actually pay big money for players by bringing up sums that we were regularly shelling out fifteen years ago. Seven million is fucking peanuts in today's Premier League, that's why you'll struggle to get a decent Championship player with it.

They've just massively ramped up the tv money and we're still meant to celebrate wasting our pre-season by trying to haggle.

We've had to pay more money in January than everyone else because we were too tight to pay for players in the summer - you know, when you're actually meant to do most of your business? When other real football clubs do it?

Debuchy? We wouldn't pay the going rate for him in the summer then when we bought him after relying solely on Simpson for five months our manager whinged like fuck that he'd had to throw them straight into a relegation fight. That's what pre season is meant to be for but why bother when you can throw half a season down the toilet to try and get a pound off?

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.

Guest neesy111

If we can only afford Gomis and Remy on loan, considering the new tv deal then to me it shows Ashley is trying to take money out of the club to claw back his own fuck ups.

If we can only afford Gomis and Remy on loan, considering the new tv deal then to me it shows Ashley is trying to take money out of the club to claw back his own fuck ups.

Think that's been clear for years now man.

If we can only afford Gomis and Remy on loan, considering the new tv deal then to me it shows Ashley is trying to take money out of the club to claw back his own f*** ups.

Personally i 100% agree with the Remy loan thing, considering his legal issues.

Mbiwa represents potential for profit. Frankly he wasn't really the CB we 'needed' at all.

Considering we all thought Coloccini was leaving and i think the club did too i disagree.

We do need another though.