Newcastle win Northumberland Senior Cup. Woohoo!

Skirge

Long range Lua Lua strike. :thup:

From the report on .co.uk

'That joy was short-lived and the Magpies were back on level terms within 60 seconds, Kazenga LuaLua firing a goal of the season contender with an unstoppable 25-yard strike beyond Adam Bartlett's despairing dive.'

'That joy was short-lived and the Magpies were back on level terms within 60 seconds, Kazenga LuaLua firing a goal of the season contender with an unstoppable 25-yard strike beyond Adam Bartlett's despairing dive.'

Adam Bartlett used to be a NUFC academy player didn't he? Who were they playing?

Adam Bartlett used to be a NUFC academy player didn't he? Who were they playing?

Yes he did.

Blyth Spartans.

Blyth Spartans.

So in summary, our reserves are good enough to beat a Conference Northteam on penalties.

Blyth Spartans.

So in summary, our reserves are good enough to beat a Conference Northteam on penalties.

As Sadler pionted out earlier that isn't neccesarily a true reflection. The Newcastle team are kids who aren't fully developed physically whereas Blyth are a team of men who will be a lot physically stronger.

Dutch boss Louis van Gaal has heaped praise on Newcastle reserve coach Adam Sadler.

Sadler has been working with Van Gaal at Dutch side AZ Alkmaar as part of his progression in the game.

He told the Evening Chronicle: "Adam stayed here for one week and watched us work during our training sessions.

"Adam asks intelligent questions and made a great impression as a human being, but also a great impression football-wise.

"We are flooded by requests from coaches from all over Europe, such as Spain, Turkey, Switzerland and Portugal, to do a placement with us who want to obtain a UEFA Pro-Licence.

"This season we have got at least 20 applications, including Adam.

"The Newcastle United club doctor Iain McGuinness, who worked with Arthur Numan and Shota Arveladze at Glasgow Rangers, introduced Adam to us.

"Some of coaches stay here for the entire season, like Jan Zoutman, who is now at the helm at First Division side Haarlem, while others, like Ruud Kaiser, coach of the Dutch under-17 squad, come here one day a month.

"I had conversations with Adam before I asked my assistants, Edgar Metgod in particular, to take care of him."

Blyth Spartans.

:rolleyes:

Christ you've talked even more cobblers than usual tonight.

As Sadler pionted out earlier that isn't neccesarily a true reflection. The Newcastle team are kids who aren't fully developed physically whereas Blyth are a team of men who will be a lot physically stronger.

That's true, but equally the academy players train together almost every day, some of the lads in Blyth squad rarely get to train with the rest of them due to work commitments and travelling distance- I'm surprised that wasn't more of a decisive factor seeing as the game went the distance.

No wins since 1994 for Blyth, Newcastle last won two years back at the Wheatsheaf in what was a cracking game.

On Adam Bartlett, he actually now coaches at the Academy on top of his playing job and a certain Adam Sadler was actually signed by Blyth a few years back but wasn't allowed Saturdays off! Bartlett has been superb this season and is rated as one of the best keepers at that level and could well make a full-time return yet.

Unlike the last 2 Finals it wasn't a classic by any means.  It didn't really come to life until the closing minutes of the 90, after which both teams had various opportunities to steal it.  LuaLua's goal was a stunning strike.

Sour note was the injury to Wesley Ngo Baheng, who was completely taken out in full flight by Peter Snowdon and had to be stretchered off.  Hopefully not too serious.

Cup delight for hotshot LuaLua

Apr 24 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United 1 Blyth Spartans 1 (Newcastle win 4-3 on penalties)

NEWCASTLE United starlet Kazenga LuaLua was on cloud nine today after playing a major part in the Toon second string’s Northumberland Senior Cup victory over Blyth Spartans.

The Croft Park side had stunned the Magpies in extra-time to grab a lead through Andy Leeson.

But the promising Academy product was on hand to fire home a goal that his brother and former United star Lomana would have been proud of to force a penalty shoot-out.

LuaLua was also on hand to convert during a tense penalty contest as Adam Sadler’s youngsters edged a 4-3 victory to end their season with a piece of silverware.

And, in his first newspaper interview, a beaming LuaLua told the Chronicle: “It’s a great feeling to have a trophy in our hands and I’m really delighted.

“They scored the first goal, but I thought we did much better than them overall.

“For the goal, James Marwood slipped me the ball and I was going to cross it in, but I found myself in range and I thought I may as well have a go.

“When it went into the back of the net I was really happy.

“It’s one of the best goals I’ve scored.”

Sadler has instilled a never-say-die attitude in his young charges and the goal came in front of a watching Kevin Keegan.

The 2,000-plus crowd also got a glimpse of an important future player for Newcastle but he knew that, at 1-0 down in extra-time, he had to deliver – and he did.

He told me: “It was a really important time in the game to score. Everybody in the dressing room is just really happy that we’ve won the trophy.

“Sads (Adam Sadler) told me to keep working hard and show what I can do on the pitch.

“That way the manager can see you from the stands and see what you are about.

“All I need to do is keep working hard.”

LuaLua has had an impressive campaign in the second string but also made his first-team debut at Stoke City in the FA Cup under Sam Allardyce as well as three substitute appearances under KK.

And after grabbing an unforgettable strike and picking up a winners’ medal, he revealed that a message had already been sent to his big brother Lomana over in Athens where he is currently playing for Olympiakos.

He said: “My mam was in the stands and she rang Lomana.

“He was really pleased for me and I have told him about my goal.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/24/cup-delight-for-hotshot-lualua-72703-20812861/

Christ, Craig Hope is cringeworthingly fake. Argh.

Kazenga's accent is as good as his goal was, and Tozer looked gutted about not being in the first team, etc. :lol:

Nice to see some reserve action though.