Martins appreciation thread

Nobody

Not a criticism but it is striking that most of the initial comments were from people not at the match. :wink:

Martins strikes me as a player who can certainly be of use to us, but I can understand the concern when our new number 9, a £10 million plus player fails to make much of an impact. Deal with the concerns, hope he does better and move on.

It is harsh to judge a player either way this early on, and just as I cannot understand any vitriol sent his way (and I havn't seen any at the games I have attended), I equally cannot understand the need to fawn over him which seems to be the aim of this thread.

Yoyre just saying that to wind me up, aren't you?

He's still got my support.

Hope he becomes a true no9, sort his finishing out and he'll be a legend.

dont think he'll ever be the true "classic" no9, probably not even a legend, but he looks fucking class and will score a fair share of goals and set up owen for some as well :D

I reckon he will, as long as we've bought him as a 21yr old and he's willing to stay.

He's impulsive, desperate to score, he has the ability, he has the physical strength to cope, he just needs to learn a bit more, and i think he's more than capable.

His ideal partner would have been Kuyt for me.

I wonder if this time next seaosn we can swap Kuyt for Owen (summer 07)?

Guest elbee909

Considering the general quality of supply today I thought Martins did very well.  We won't see the best of him, or any strikers we happen to play, until something changes in terms of the supply going forward.  He was fed on high ball scraps for the most part today.  Wish Beardsley was still playing sometimes, be nice if there was a bit of intelligent playmaking going on because right now, it's just not there.

Considering the general quality of supply today I thought Martins did very well.  We won't see the best of him, or any strikers we happen to play, until something changes in terms of the supply going forward.  He was fed on high ball scraps for the most part today.  Wish Beardsley was still playing sometimes, be nice if there was a bit of intelligent playmaking going on because right now, it's just not there.

Only sometimes?

Thought I'd sign on for the Martins appreciation society, having defended him more than once already...

I felt today that his only real problem is composure - as was said in the match thread he seems to fluctuate between snatching at chances or taking too long to settle himself. There's a kind of nervous desperation about Martins, but it's a better state of mind than another nameless "striker" on our books

What a stupid fucking thread on the heels of a pretty mediocre performance.  And before anyone twists, this lad is getting plenty of support at the match and EVERYONE wants him to succeed.  But comments like "I think he's going to be one of our best signings ever" or "he looks excellent" (err, sorry, but he just doesn't) are so far removed from the evidence on the pitch as to make them utterly moronic.  Whilst it's far too early for anyone to be writing him off, it's also far too early to be talking ludicrously positive shit about him too.

Only sometimes?

do you also wish we had Cannavaro and Nesta sometimes?  :winking:

Pedro was the best player I've ever seen in a black and white shirt, the things he could do with a football genuinely scared me at times.

What a stupid fucking thread on the heels of a pretty mediocre performance. And before anyone twists, this lad is getting plenty of support at the match and EVERYONE wants him to succeed. But comments like "I think he's going to be one of our best signings ever" or "he looks excellent" (err, sorry, but he just doesn't) are so far removed from the evidence on the pitch as to make them utterly moronic. Whilst it's far too early for anyone to be writing him off, it's also far too early to be talking ludicrously positive shit about him too.

To each is own. There seems to be quite a lot of us that thinks that his performance was far better than mediocre, and who the hell are you to say that we're wrong?

What a stupid fucking thread on the heels of a pretty mediocre performance. And before anyone twists, this lad is getting plenty of support at the match and EVERYONE wants him to succeed. But comments like "I think he's going to be one of our best signings ever" or "he looks excellent" (err, sorry, but he just doesn't) are so far removed from the evidence on the pitch as to make them utterly moronic. Whilst it's far too early for anyone to be writing him off, it's also far too early to be talking ludicrously positive shit about him too.

To each is own. There seems to be quite a lot of us that thinks that his performance was far better than mediocre, and who the hell are you to say that we're wrong?

I think I'm pretty well placed to say that the above comments (the ones I quoted) are utterly ridiculous on the basis of the evidence to date.  Thanks for asking.

This thread literally makes me cringe.  He was poor yesterday and the most passion he showed was when he was frantically waving his arms at the ref every five minutes as he went down after minimal contact (again).

I'm sure the lad's got talent, but please.  "Oh my God, he's come on the pitch!  He's wearing a TOON SHIRT!  Look, it's just like mine.  He obviously LOVES the club.  He's going to be the best signing ever!  He KICKED THE BALL!  HE DID IT AGAIN!  Fucking hell, remember when Shearer used to kick the ball?  Well, we've finally found his replacement lads.  Oh he fell over.  BUT HE'S GOT BACK UP!  Look at that PASSION, DRIVE and COMMITMENT!"

I'm not writing the lad off, but I really can't believe how deep people are digging to try find this potential he's supposed to be showing.

Guest Armchair Pundit

I'm afraid I've got to agree with Gemmill on this. As much as I want Martins to kick in to gear and do the business he hasn't made an instant impact like you'd expect from a player who could fit the 'classic No9' bill. It was always going to be difficult to replace Big Al but I don't think Martins was or will ever be the man to be it even slightly.

The reality is that we will have to wait and see as he needs more games. He was not anything more than hard working yesterday and to say his finishing was bad luck is a farcical statement, his finishing was snatched and poor.

Give him time and see what happens but dont blow him out of the water or claim he is terrific until we've seen a fair run.

This thread literally makes me cringe.  He was poor yesterday and the most passion he showed was when he was frantically waving his arms at the ref every five minutes as he went down after minimal contact (again).

I'm sure the lad's got talent, but please.  "Oh my God, he's come on the pitch!  He's wearing a TOON SHIRT!  Look, it's just like mine.  He obviously LOVES the club.  He's going to be the best signing ever!  He KICKED THE BALL!  HE DID IT AGAIN!  Fucking hell, remember when Shearer used to kick the ball?  Well, we've finally found his replacement lads.  Oh he fell over.  BUT HE'S GOT BACK UP!  Look at that PASSION, DRIVE and COMMITMENT!"

I'm not writing the lad off, but I really can't believe how deep people are digging to try find this potential he's supposed to be showing.

Spot on mate.  It is cringeworthy.  Yesterday's performance was a "Hmmm, there might be something there to work with" performance.  Then I get back from the match to find this.  I nearly choked on my prawn sandwich.

This forum has truly gone into unknown depths of wank...N-O, the kings of extremist viewpoints.

I feel indifference atm for Martins, while his touch wasn't there, he shows glimpses of good play. One real weakness though is his heading for me, which is practically non-existant. Give him time, as if that's never been said before, instead of either shouting him down already, or saying he's excellent etc...

His first touch is still not there and i dont think his running off the ball is that intelligent. Too many times he was too deep when our midfield were breaking from midfield and didnt commit to a run either to pull a player away from play or to create space for himself. We need to see improvement on this.

Should have done better when Sibierski set him up and got the goal.

Not a lot else to say on the matter. The French commentator referred to him constantly as the 'explosif Martins' which i think sums up his main strength.

I agree 100% he is going to turn out to be a great buy, just a young lad got to settle in a new Country with a new club in a new league. Time is needed and I am sure most are very willing to give him that time. Once he learns he can run in behind in the EPL, defenders are going to panic every time he runs at them and in behind them.

Its just going to show at the moment how desperate he is to do well and prove himself, and its that desperation thats costing him infront of gaol, once he calms down he will be fine.

Everyone said Luque needed time yet not a lot were willing to give him the time, but you can see the difference in the paly between the two, yes Martins has missed some great chances but at least he is getting chances infront of gaol and he is getting that through his high work rate and determination. Luque shows very little of that when he plays, we cannot really call Luque's finishing becuase he has not been in that many goal scoring situations.

Don't care how often this thread will be bumped, feel that he'll put in a lot of great performances for us. Though i also think he wil have some terrible games, i mean, he IS still just 21. Insane when you think about how far away from his "best age" he is.

Guest toongimp

Martins was brilliant tonight. Spot on fheader and then a cool and crisply taken second goal. A couple of more like that and I'll gladly call him a #9 legend!