Who really owns Newcastle United ?

Benwell Lad

Recent press speculation (well fabrication actually) about selling Newcastle United made me wonder, in a philosophical way, who really owns our club ?

No doubt that Mike Ashley holds the deeds and in the process of acquiring them made the previous "owners" extremely wealthy (or wealthier) men based on the price he had to pay them for "their club".

Let's face it for a generation now, Newcastle United has been about little other than it's supporters. Any accolades received have been about the consistent level of fanatical support the club received and huge attendances guaranteed.

It is this, totally dis-proportionate to playing success, support which fuels the revenue machine that amazingly keeps us in the world's top 15 richest club list. It has nothing to do with playing success or the way the club is ran.

In the real bad old days, if the diehard supporters turned away from the club it would have ceased to be, without those supporters there was nothing.

So those of us who suffered but stayed with them provided the base from which this huge revenue organisation eventually rose. We did our bit while those who played for and ran the club consistently did not.

So when the Halls and Shepherds and others raise a glass of Dom Perignon to toast their huge windfalls and indeed any future "owner" realises a profit from the sale of the club they "own", let them think about us - the real owners of the club - the people who made their asset worth what it is in today's market.

But don't expect a seat in the director's box any time soon.

Saying the supporters own the club is a bit like saying people who buy milk own Tesco, I'm afraid :undecided:

You haven't thought about what I said.

If Geordies stop buying milk from Tesco then Tesco continues.

On the other hand....If Geordies stop buying football then the club folds.

Also, Geordies don't have loyalty to tesco - if sainsburys sold cheaper milk they'd probably go there instead, not keep going to tesco in the hope that one day milk would drop to the cheapest price in the country.

Also, Geordies don't have loyalty to tesco - if sainsburys sold cheaper milk they'd probably go there instead, not keep going to tesco in the hope that one day milk would drop to the cheapest price in the country.

5th cheapest in the last 10 years tbh. ;)

Saying the supporters own the club is a bit like saying people who buy milk own Tesco, I'm afraid :undecided:

buying milk was abad example,use the term "goods" and tesco's folds.

Glory shopper

I have shares in Tesco, as an employee I just got given them.  And I go there to do my shopping.  But far more than 52,000 people shop at Tesco, so I'd have to mean that millions of people stop shopping at Tesco for them to fold.  Tesco and NUFC aren't really on comparable levels.

Wouldn't say I own Tesco though.

I get what you mean though.

Tescos on my doorstep and if im going there i will get the milk

Tescos on my doorstep and if im going there i will get the milk

Don't think they do mans milk mate.

Yes but with milk or anything else rational comes into the eqauation. If your car doesn't live up to expectation you would change to something else next time. We can't do that with our football team, like "oh it's been a bad season - I'm changing to Arsenal next year"

We're stuck with Newcastle.

Many continental teams  are real "clubs",  the members (supporters) vote on key decisions and they have been very successful with that kind of set up.

I think that the modern English way is sort of perverse, where an individual owns a football club.

What is a football club ? Can it be just a rich mans posession ? I guess the answer nowadays is yes.

Guest float one in

Yes but with milk or anything else rational comes into the eqauation. If your car doesn't live up to expectation you would change to something else next time. We can't do that with our football team, like "oh it's been a bad season - I'm changing to Arsenal next year"

Many continental teams  are real "clubs",  the members (supporters) vote on key decisions and they have been very successful with that kind of set up.

I think that the modern English way is sort of perverse, where an individual owns a football club.

What is a football club ? Can it be just a rich mans posession ? I guess the answer nowadays is yes.

Hasn't it more or less always been this way in Britain though? Just these days the clubs are worth more.

Hasn't it more or less always been this way in Britain though? Just these days the clubs are worth more.

Dunno but I guess the fact that they are called "clubs" probably means that they once were ran by members.

No body owns it.

I agree. How can one person own a club it's almost like saying someone "owns" a religion or a political organisation, and yet today Messrs Abramovich, Glazer etc are called the owners of their clubs.