The true cost of relegation?

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

"disaster"

"catastrophic"

Just a few choice words I've read describing what relegation from the Premiership would be like.

Does anyone care to expand on those kind of doomsday scenarios, not being predicted, but said in a matter of fact way?

You hope in the summer were going to get rid of the passengers, cunts, shitheads, the abysmal, the overpaid and the weak minded, but you'd know for certain they'd be gone with a relegation.

That would be my only silver lining, everything else would be haunting.

You hope in the summer were going to get rid of the passengers, cunts, shitheads, the abysmal, the overpaid and the weak minded, but you'd know for certain they'd be gone with a relegation.

Very true. If we manage to stay up.... who on earth would sign Alan Smith ?

Guest Action Verb

You hope in the summer were going to get rid of the passengers, c***s, shitheads, the abysmal, the overpaid and the weak minded, but you'd know for certain they'd be gone with a relegation.

If we go down, who on earth would sign Alan Smith. If anything, the shite are likely to linger (Butt, Barton, Taylor, Duff), with the potentially exciting and decent players fucking off (Martins, N'Zgobia and err that's it).

There isn't a club in the league as well equipped to deal with relegation as we are tbh. It would still be a disaster though.

Why do you think that?

Because we haven't got any debt?

You hope in the summer were going to get rid of the passengers, c***s, shitheads, the abysmal, the overpaid and the weak minded, but you'd know for certain they'd be gone with a relegation.

Not necessarily. The likes of Viduka, Smith, Barton, Butt, Duff will all be on big money contracts with 2-3 years to run, £40-50,000 pw or more. No one else would be willing to pay any of them that sort of money and they'll probably be quite happy to stay and keep the money rolling into their retirement funds. 

There isn't a club in the league as well equipped to deal with relegation as we are tbh. It would still be a disaster though.

Why do you think that?

I think that as well because:

Relegation is definitely something no-one wants to see happen, but I don't see it being the end of all things that others would describe.

At boardroom level, the worst case scenario is not as bad as it was 12 months ago. Some clubs are unable to rebuild after a relegation, as they have found that loanees increase financial restrictions. Certainly the fact that all debt tied to the club has been paid off means that the club has full command over its own finances, even if Ashley decides to bail out on us. Ashley would need to make a choice however, he'd have to back us or leave, as the priority must be to get promoted the following season, and if he wont back us the valuation of the club would decrease exponentially each year, then he needs to sell and cut his losses. Whatever, it is in whoever owns the club's best interests to secure immediate promotion, and there shouldn't be any immediate financial issues that can hold back our dealings.

Looking at management, I think there is no better man for the task than the man already at the helm. Of the three club sides Keegan has overseen, he has got them all promoted in style. Keegan is rare in that he is one of the few people out there who has gone to clubs that were quite honestly below him, and has used his own quality to improve them. If Keegan does go though, the obvious candidates are a bunch of mediocre people who at very best could get us avoiding Premiership relegation next season. We should do what Juventus did and look for someone ambitious who has the potential to grow with the club. The standout candidates would be Boothroyd, Pardew, Ince, Adams and Shearer.

The club will certainly haemorrage players. No chance of keeping Owen, he'd end up at West Ham or something similar. Clubs will almost certainly try to poach Martins, Beye, Faye, Butt, Duff, Cacapa, Carr, Geremi, Given, Smith, Viduka, Enrique, N'Zogbia, Milner, Taylor, Rozehnal. Not much of a team left, but apart from where there are contract issues, we will find ourselves in a relative position of power to not be bullied into selling, and I believe that Keegan may be able to persuade a couple of players to follow Keegan's example as a player, and remain at the club.

I can see us being left with some bare bones regardless, and before signing anyone, I'd imagine that we'd be left with:

Harper, Krul, Soderberg

Taylor, Edgar, Kadar, Tozer

Milner, Lua Lua

Carroll, Ameobi, Zambrella.

It would be interesting to see how many of these players would be good in the Championship. This looks terrible in all honesty, but some people believe that there has been a disease at  the club where players with big reputations have come here for a final payday more than anything, and relegation would certainly cure us of that disease. Additionally, it would give development players more of a chance to develop by playing in first team games. What if we were to keep Wise and Veterre working on this development outlet? Perhaps we could persuade ten more very promising young players to come into the club by offerring the opportunity to develop into a top quality player by playing games and getting their team promoted back into the top flight.

Regardless, these wouldn't be enough, but there are very good Championship players who we could attract then sell on 18 months down the line. If we could sell the potential of the club, the likes of Koumas and Jason Roberts would come and give us the quality we need to dominate the Championship. Then we could hope that the next season, the developmental players would be holding their own, so that we could then replace Koumas and Roberts with Premiership standard players to hopefully complement a new batch of talented youngsters.

Some fans might stop going to games, although perhaps these are the fans the club doesn't need right now. I reckon we could keep a raucous crowd, high in numbers that could create a fortress, plus possibly an injection of more youth into the crowd.

All in all, I think that if we went down, which again I must emphasise that I hope doesn't happen, we would come straight back up in style, and build a better platform for our Premiership future than we can build at this exact moment.

Even if we came straight back up we'd probably struggle to get decent players to keep us up. For example, Sunderland had a lot of money to spend this season but they ended up blowing it all on shite because decent players didn't want to join them. If only Alan Smith had chosen them over us!

For the first time in ages we are actually in reasonable shape off the field. Mike Ashley has cleared all the debt, we are putting a proper scouting network in place, the youth team is having money spent on it, etc. Relegation puts a dent in a lot of that. All the scouting that has been done won't have been with the Championship in mind! If we don't get relegated Mike Ashley has indicated that big money will be available and with the scouting network there's a half decent chance that the money wouldn't be pissed away like it has in the past. If we get relegated that goes out the window.

If we go down, who on earth would sign Alan Smith. If anything, the shite are likely to linger (Butt, Barton, Taylor, Duff), with the potentially exciting and decent players fucking off (Martins, N'Zgobia and err that's it).

Most players will have a pay cut clause in their contracts, some release clauses, others will transfer list themselves and waver their % of sale, the club would take cuts on some players price and certain shite like Butt will be offered terminations.

There will be plenty of teams lining up for Alan Smith, and Smith will be wanting straight back in the prem so will likely join any old shite.

If we go down, who on earth would sign Alan Smith. If anything, the s**** are likely to linger (Butt, Barton, Taylor, Duff), with the potentially exciting and decent players f****** off (Martins, N'Zgobia and err that's it).

I actually find this very likely tbh. Relgation would probably mean we would lose most of our servicable players (Given, Milner, Zog, Martins, Faye, Beye, Taylor, Owen) to mid-table teams and some borderline ones (Duff, Viduka) to newly promoted sides (with the likes of Enrique and Emre probably f****** off to some foreign team.)

What we'd be left with is the likes of Smith, Barton, and Butt who realize that they'll probably never get a contract at a Premiership side again and decide to stay along and be passengers.

We could very much be facing our first season in the Championship with the very worst of this year's crop along with a mix of newly-purchased dross and kids from the Reserves. And Shola Ameobi. Not a comforting thought.

Guest fraser

Rather unfortunate is how I'd describe this disaster. Bit of a bitch for Ashley, but he knew the risks.

He seemed quite relaxed about it yesterday from what I could see. Took some grief from a lad two rows back, one of his minders sang along, bit enigmatic I suppose.

Rather unfortunate is how I'd describe this disaster. Bit of a bitch for Ashley, but he knew the risks.

He seemed quite relaxed about it yesterday from what I could see. Took some grief from a lad two rows back, one of his minders sang along, bit enigmatic I suppose.

Ashley has made his decisions like sacking Allardyce so he will have to lump it and try to put it right. Would be an utter twat if we get relegated and he bails out and seels us to any old fool.

Would like to think he is prepared to take responsibility for his actions on the chest and to want to put it right. Seems like the kind of bloke that does. Lets hope so.

Even if we came straight back up we'd probably struggle to get decent players to keep us up. For example, Sunderland had a lot of money to spend this season but they ended up blowing it all on shite because decent players didn't want to join them. If only Alan Smith had chosen them over us!

For the first time in ages we are actually in reasonable shape off the field. Mike Ashley has cleared all the debt, we are putting a proper scouting network in place, the youth team is having money spent on it, etc. Relegation puts a dent in a lot of that. All the scouting that has been done won't have been with the Championship in mind! If we don't get relegated Mike Ashley has indicated that big money will be available and with the scouting network there's a half decent chance that the money wouldn't be pissed away like it has in the past. If we get relegated that goes out the window.

Use the scouting network to find younger players who can do well in the Championship and develop into good Championship players.

The first thing we should do is tap up Scott Sinclair. Even though we were in the Championship, I'd be happy to pay up to £10m for him.

Ashley has made his decisions like sacking Allardyce so he will have to lump it and try to put it right. Would be an utter twat if we get relegated and he bails out and seels us to any old fool.

Would like to think he is prepared to take responsibility for his actions on the chest and to want to put it right. Seems like the kind of bloke that does. Lets hope so.

He'd have to be mad to sell a relegated Newcastle, he'd be taking a big loss.

I know football has changed, but to be entirely honest, when we got relegated in 1987, I had a fucking great time in the second division for a year.

Going to grounds where you outnumber the home fans, seeing places you'd never normally see, towns you'd never usually go to etc etc. Bloke I work with went to every single game we played in the Third Division in the early 70s, and says that was even better.

Of course, football is totally different nowadays, so the innocence of those times is gone.