Magpies linked with Marcelino

Guest johnson293

Guest johnson293

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3306158,00.html

Magpies linked with Racing coach

Claims that Magpies like Marcelino

Last updated: 15th March 2008

Reports in Spain claim that Newcastle are sounding out Racing Santander coach Marcelino.

The highly-rated coach, not to be confused with the Spanish central defender who had an ill-fated spell at St James' Park in the 1990s, has turned Racing into top-four contenders in Spain.

Before that he had masterminded Recreativo de Huelva's promotion to La Liga and he is now the latest Spaniard coach being linked with a move to England, following on from the successes of Rafa Benitez and Juande Ramos.

Ramos' move to Spurs was masterminded by Tony Jimenez - now vice-president at Newcastle.

Jimenez, although not an agent, is known around Europe as one of the men who can get any deal done and his contacts list is extensive.

Part of his remit has obviously been to cast an eye over potential new coaches, should Kevin Keegan's reign come to a premature end.

And Spanish-speaking Jimenez has seemingly ventured into a market he knows well - La Liga.

Reports suggest that there has been tentative contact between Newcastle and Marcelino's people - although nothing official.

Racing stay

Racing, though, are determined not to lose another coach after they saw Miguel Angel Portugal depart for Real Madrid last year.

Should Racing qualify for the UEFA Champions League then there is little doubt in Spain Marcelino would remain, although his stock is rising and his abilities are coming to the attention of a host of teams.

As well as Newcastle, Sevilla are also believed to have made discreet enquires, although they now look set to stick with Manolo Jimenez for next season.

Dont know much about him TBH, but this seems to be him....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelino_Garc%C3%ADa_Toral

OK, clearly they won't be happy until they have picked the last morsels of bloodied flesh from the corpse of this club and have flown back off looking for their next victim. 

I hate the media, bit of a tangent but i heard that that police officer killed himself because a sunday newsapaper was gonna print a kiss and tell story. What a price to pay in order to sell a few papers if true.

I really despise the scavengers.

Complete bollocks, yet again trying to stir things and further distabalise the club, cunts.

I don't know why the Spanish press would give a shit tbh.

Complete bollocks, yet again trying to stir things and further distabalise the club, cunts.

yeah it's from marca i think hardly press shit-stirring.

yeah it's from marca i think hardly press shit-stirring.

No matter where it has come from (Marca has been wrong about us a fair bit in the past, mind) the useage of words like "claims", "reports", etc. and no quotes, no facts, no substance leads me to believe it's utter tosh.

OR that the actual facts have been distorted by Sky Sports to give the story more substance. Could it have been as simple as Jimenez and Marcelino being seen together? Did they play golf together? Is there anything solid in the story?

Having taken the time to look, there's no quotes in the Marca story, and they talk as though Keegan leaving is practically a certainty "at the end of the season".

Nothing of any substance whatsoever.

Smells like bollocks to me.

Having taken the time to look, there's no quotes in the Marca story, and they talk as though Keegan leaving is practically a certainty "at the end of the season".

They'll have read the British press and jumped on the bandwagon, the thread title did worry me though.

No surprise there - I'm sure someone running a book on Keegan not lasting the season let alone starting the 08/09 campaign :rolleyes:

They'll have read the British press and jumped on the bandwagon, the thread title did worry me though.

I think there's some substance to it. What reason would the Spanish have to "jump on the bandwagon"? You would hardly see an English paper link someone like Moyes with the Real Mallorca job unless there was something in it.

Although i'm obviously very skeptical this has come out of nowhere and doesn't sounds like the sort of that would just get made up. I certainly wouldn't class it alongside some of the propaganda that is found in the daily mail.

I think there's some substance to it. What reason would the Spanish have to "jump on the bandwagon"? You would hardly see an English paper link someone like Moyes with the Real Mallorca job unless there was something in it.

The story has nothing to it, it's just a story which has been put together by some bloke in Zurich, he's not even based in Spain unless I've missed something.

Guest Phil K

Wouldn't surprise me if were looking for a new manager already. KK has been s**** since his return.

I don't think he's even got to s**** level yet.....