Nostradamas...I am not

afar

I have always thought of myself as someone who is fairly knowledgable about the beautiful game and NUFC in general being able to predict how things would fair at our club. Hell I forsaw the disasters that Souness and Roeder would be, that missing out on O'Neill and giving a wide birth to Sven would be a mistake. I also predicted that Andy Cole, Rob Lee and Gary Speed would be great signings fo the club while Butt, Smith and Carr were not the players we were told.

However I seem to have been getting a lot more wrong of late than I have right, that's led me to start believe all those folks that say "He talks a load of s**** him !"

So admit it, when have you been wrong ? When has your crystal ball been clouded ? Here's my list, in no particular order:

• Getting our money back on Sir Les was good business considering his age, we had Shearer now anyway.

• Sacking Bobby would help move the club forward to the next level.

• Big Sam was just what this club needed.

• Kluivert would be a huge success and prove all the doubters wrong.

• Owen will score boatloads of goals for us.

• Duff was an absolute steal at 5 mill.

• Barton will sort himself out and be a terrific player for the club.

• Luque would be the next Ginola.

• Kenny was just the man to replace King Kev.

• The return of KK is just what we need (hopefully there is still time for me to take this off my list).

Definitely the Owen one.

Where I fall down is being too optimistic and refusing to see the reality - for example in hindsight it's obvious that Smith is fucking awful and Duff was past his best... but at the time I so wanted to believe they were great signings!

I still reckon Kluivert could've been a legend here if it wasn't for Graham Fcuking Souness!

Don't know about legend, but he was a quality CF who we didn't use enough.

For the record, I thought Dalglish and Allardyce were great appointments at the time. I was hoping to be proved wrong on Smith but sadly...

Paddy K had no interest in being a Legend here, he got what he wanted, a pay packet!!

Its our own fault though, we believe the hype every time, every new player will be class blah blah blah!

Paddy K had no interest in being a Legend here, he got what he wanted, a pay packet!!

Its our own fault though, we believe the hype every time, every new player will be class blah blah blah!

I think if Bobby stayed he would have been a lot different for us. Him and Bellamy looked class together as well.

I thought the following players would be class:

Owen

Luque

Boumsong

Bassedas

Glass

Oops.

Wow I had forgotten about Stephen Glass, I too remember thinking he would be a real gem and a total bargain. Reminds me a bit of John Robertson but the difference being that Robertson probaly wasn't given enough time to adjust to the English game.

I thought the Luque signing was pretty awesome. I had doubts about Owen (because of the fee and the clause) but I never expected him to not score goals. Just wasn't sure he was worth the money and the wages given the state of the rest of the team, but I never expected Luque to be such a massive flop. I had doubts about Boumsong from the beginning (the Souness-Rangers connection and the £8m worried me) but he was doing fine until our home game against Man Utd. Made a mistake, Rooney scored and his career here went downhill from there. I even remember a couple of games in which he had Henry in his back pocket, so it wasn't like he just wasn't capable of being good. Just lacked the confidence and crumbled under the pressure and expectations.

I thought that Emre would be the creative midfielder. The kind of player that can win us games in Europe and beat the top 4 with a magical pass that no one else sees. I still kind of think this. At least when he's fit I certainly think he's capable of so much more than the rest of our midfield (bar Zoggy).

I thought luque would be immense :blush:

Given time he would have been :)

He might do nowt else during 90 mins but just wondering if he might have scored a couple of goals if he'd been up front instead of Smith?

With the exceptions of Roeder and Souness i thought all the managers we employed were the right choice at the time, even Gullit.

I think everyone was sucked into the "Sexy Football" thing, I doubt anyone could have predicted how bad it would turn out.

Thought Sam would do much better than he did.

Thought Luque would be awesome.

Thought Barton would at least play as well for us as he did for Citeh.

Thought Viduka would contribute a lot more than Sibierski.

Thought replacing Moore, Bramble, Huntington, Gooch and Bernard with Cacapa, Faye, Beye, Rozenal and Enrique was an outstanding piece of work in the transfer market. Still find it hard to believe that some of it wasn't tbh. :-[

Thought Sam would do much better than he did.

Thought Luque would be awesome.

Thought Barton would at least play as well for us as he did for Citeh.

Thought Viduka would contribute a lot more than Sibierski.

Thought replacing Moore, Bramble, Huntington, Gooch and Bernard with Cacapa, Faye, Beye, Rozenal and Enrique was an outstanding piece of work in the transfer market. Still find it hard to believe that some of it wasn't tbh. :-[

Yeah when you look at the players that went, how the hell are in this mess surely those coming in are an improvement ?