Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Am loving how both Sky and the BBC are failing to see any positives in our performance (in light of how we usually collapse when going a goal behind) and instead are choosing to go along the "Newcastle STILL havent won under Keegan since his return" line.

As much as we deserve at the moment.

On the whole yes but tonight we deserve a little credit. They could have even gone with "They have stopped the rot having lost the last 4 games with a well deserved point at Birmingham" but I guess thats too much for them to admit we deserved something out of a game.

Pah.. I just hate the bastards thats all

Keegan said he took Martins off because he wanted another body in midfield for the final 10 minutes.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1267945,00.html

I thought the man-management was spot on there, imo. Yeah, he's taken him off, which will have frustrated him. But even that can work to the player's benefit. He hasn't got his goal tonight so will be absolutely desperate to get it in the next game, against a weaker team. He's quite clearly hungry and he's quite clearly passionate. And when he came off, Keegan could well have stood there arms folded with the lad as he refused to shake his hand, but he put his arm around him and explained. Spot on. :thup:

Martins will bag one or two on Saturday i reckon. One of which will have constituted as a direct result of this. :razz:

Guest jcricthon

Bring back Emre! he'd better be fit for next week, I can't stand seeing Joey Barton in  Newcastle shirt!

Hope Milner is fit n'all, todays second half performance with Milner, Emre and Zog in the team will be far too much for Fulham (I hope)!

Ps. Is anyone skilled in the art of lip-reading? I'd love to know what this funny c**t is saying ----- :tickedoff:

Martins sub seems to have been a strange one, personally would of taken off Viduka or Owen if we were doing as Keegan said and adding another midfielder to see out the game.

The midfield was still tosh if you ask me, thought defensively Butt was excellent broke up opposition play really well. Think the game depended on him doing so as Barton and Geremi werent offereing a great deal. As good as this perfomance was it depends too much on Butts perfomrnaces if you ask me.

I still have faith in Barton and in the long run would like to see him replace Geremi or if he's converted to a throughbred DM which i think he could be, but i'd like to see a bit of a link up between Emre and Martins, could be a dangerous combination. Will be nice to have a decent ball player who can pass along the ground well.

Guest Brewcastle

Good 2nd half. Deserved a win. But shit, Bham is the strongest team in the relegation-battle, and they have had some good matches. So TBH; we can't be badly disappointed with a draw. Victory at SJP on saturday, and a new area begins. The ghost of relegation will be left behind.....

Guest Spark

My thoughts if anyone is interested. First of all I'm happy with a point. Would have taken that before the game, and would certainly have taken it at half-time. First half we were poor. They weren't much better tbh. but they did have a few half chances. On the other hand Harper only had one thing to do and that was pick the ball out of the net after a shocking error by Faye. I actually disagreed with what was said at half-time on Setanta regarding Martins; they said he was quiet but I thought he was our only creative player. Everything we did came through him and this continued in the second half when he was moved into a more advanced role. His pace and skill caused Birmingham all sorts of problems and resulted in Owen's goal. After watching it a few (read: 20) times on Sky Plus I've noticed just how well Martins did for that goal. Great leap to win the header considering his size and then a good strike which was saved by Taylor. Owen showed why he's in the team and why he will be England's top goalscorer of all time with that finish. He was way behind three Birmingham defenders yet still managed to react first. You can't teach that.

We showed a lot more confidence from then on and I felt we could go on to win it. Like many, I was surprised by the Martins substitution but I could understand it as he was playing as an out and out striker by that point and recent games have shown us to be vulnerable in the last few minutes.

Overall we deserved to win and for me this has virtually alleviated fears of relegation. We showed some fight which I didn't really expect and Birmingham's own performance gave me even more heart as they were shocking in the second half.

Ratings

Harper 6  Nothing much to do apart from pick the ball out of his own net. One or two half decent saves, though.

Enrique 7 Recovered after a somewhat shaky start. But, again, had very little to do in the second period.

Faye  4     His worst game for us. At fault for the first goal and another error early in the second half. Strong in the challenge, though, in general.

Taylor 6    Still not comfortable on the ball and has a 50 pence heed but he handled their strikers reasonably well. Forssell never had a sniff.

Beye 7     Solid and dependable as usual. I actually love him. He could play in any team in the league imo.

Geremi 6 Awful set pieces but showed good commitment and a cool head under pressure

Butt 6    Good commitment again and broke down a lot of their attacks. However, his passing is still very poor and he seems to run out of steam after 70 minutes. His time as a top level footballer is over in my opinion.

Barton 2 Really bad performance. Looks consistently off the pace, struggles to control the ball, out-strengthed too easily, passing is absolutely shocking. I would like to see some stats regarding how often he kept possession, because you just knew he would give it away every time he got the ball. His second touch was often a tackle. If I had to give a positive I'd say he kept on grafting till the end. However, that should be a minimum requirement.

Martins 8.5 Great performance. Looked lively throughout. Good in the air, strong, quick, skilful, and created all our moves. His conviction in the box is something we've missed. That snapshot on the turn which was well saved by Taylor sums him up for me.

Viduka 6 Not the big man's best performance, but his hold-up play was good in general. Showed some great touches, though his decision-making let him down on occasion.

Owen 8 Rarely lost possession, and showed fantastic reactions to score his goal. Yes, he probably should have scored his earlier chance, but the thing with Owen is he always shows determination to score. A good all-round performance, too. Very pleased with him. Would like to see Owen and Martins start up front in the future.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9635/80280521qd4.jpg

I really wanted a win but I'd have given anything to stop our shit run. Plenty positives to come out of tonights, mainly 2nd half, performance. If we can generate a great atmosphere for fulham then I see us get a few past them. Still a way to go yet of course  :smug:

Just wondering... How many clubs would deem a draw against birmingham a 'good result'? A draw is better than losing, but still.... I can't think of any club other than derby who would deem a draw with birmingham a 'good result'...

Just wondering... How many clubs would deem a draw against birmingham a 'good result'? A draw is better than losing, but still.... I can't think of any club other than derby who would deem a draw with birmingham a 'good result'...

Considering Manure only squeezed out a win , Arsenal only drew and Spurs got hammered at St Andrews, I'd say a draw is a good result.

Only Chelsea have beaten Brum away since McLeish took over.

Considering Manure only squeezed out a win , Arsenal only drew and Spurs got hammered at St Andrews, I'd say a draw is a good result.

Point taken!

We have to be pleased with a point given that the game could have been over by HT. We were the better team after the break & the fact that we managed to avoid losing in a game where we've gone behind has to be encouraging. Have also got to say that Barton just wasn't at the races again & that Viduka showed why we need a target man - anyone for Heskey?

We must now gone & beat Fulham; anything else & we are still right in the shite.

Guest nufc_geordie

Harper 6 

Not an awful lot to do, didn't have a chance with McFaddens goal. Glad he has had this chance of a run in the team.

Enrique 7

Getting better with every game, confident on the ball, getting strongers a he is acclimatising to the English game.

Faye 5   

Didn't seem at the races. Major lack of communication with Taylor/Harper, McFadden had him in his back pocket, not as dominant as he can/should be.

Taylor 6   

A better game than he has played in his last couple but still some stupid "Bramblesque" mistakes. The ball bounced over his head twice.

Beye 7   

Certainly looking the part of a top quality right back. Really becoming Mr consistent which is what we need at the back.

Geremi 5

How can a top quality set piece taker hit every first man (and even that was only when he managed to get the ball off the ground). Didn't contribute much at all for me, would start Zog ahead of him in the same formation on saturday.

Butt 6   

Broke up play well but legs went in the last 20-30 mins. Gives the ball away far too easily though. We will get punished (and have been) by better opposition if he is playing.

Barton 5

Plenty huff and puff but the end result was generally to give Birmingham the ball back. I would still persist, I don't know how much his performances are affected by having to return to court etc. He seemed to be very close on a number of occassions to making the right choices but the execution wasn't there.

Martins 7

Worked hard, created the goal by engineering a shot for himself. Looked quicker tonight than I can remember recently. Also looked very hungry and wanting to play unlike some others! Can understand keegan's substitution.

Viduka 6

Held the ball up well, looked lighter on his feet and early on made a few powerful runs. Should improve his fitness with games, quite liked the look of the way we started.

Owen 7

Typical Owen poachers goal, got there ahead of the defenders purely by anticipating and reacting to Martins shot. Still doesn't quite contribute enough for me but if he scores he's doing his job.

Keegan 6

Toom the brave decision of changing his formation, maybe the Zog could have been brought on earlier but all in all not bad.

For Newcastle v Fulham:

-------------------------------------Harper------------------------------------------

Beye-------------------Faye------------------Taylor---------------------Enrique

-------------------Barton----------Butt--------N'Zogbia--------------------------

-------------------Owen----------Viduka------Martins----------------------------------

Guest Phil K

Am not too despondent after just the point.

Quite happy, actually.

The rest of my shift at work was quite pleasant - made a nice change after a game.

We need to follow this up with a win against Fulham though.

Nothing less

Right - all those who said after the first few games "we can't be judged against Man Utd and Arsenal" (whcih was a load of fucking shite, by the way, and those peopel were cretins), and "wait till we play Blackbur, Birmingham etc".........will you now accept that we are not a good side??

We ARE NOT a 'big club', we are an average sized club.

We do NOT have "class" players, The Zog apart.

Our manager is NOT "top class", he's a very average manager who perfoemed above himself more than 10 years ago.

Players like Faye are NOT "beasts" for us, they are journeymen pros.

Our owner and Chairman are NOT geniuses, their lack of footballing knowledge has been very much found out.

Harper 5   

He's a decent backup keeper, and he showed that.

Enrique 5

Anyone who says this boy is class isn;t watchig, or is falling for the "all our players are great" shite. Very average.

Faye 4

NOT A GREAT PLAYER. Fucking idiots who thnk he's some kind of beast need to wind their necks in.

Taylor 6

Wankers on here will still bitch on, despite him being the best CB we have, because its 'trendy' to knock him, normally without even watching him play.

Beye 6     

Caught out a lot last night. Good enough for a top 10 side, not much more.

Geremi 4

Shit, as exected, only slower.

Butt 4     

Poor, but then he's not actually very good, so what do we expect.

Barton 3

Some peopel are still making excuses for this cunt. WATCH HIM PLAY. He's not a good player, far too many basic errors.

Martins 6

Did alright, despite the typical lack of ball control in his first touch.

Viduka 4

Get this straight - NOT class, NOT great, JUST mediocre, fat and lazy.

Owen 6

Best game for a while, would have been even better had Keegan not fucked up the midfield, Again.

Keegan 4

Average manager with shit players at an average sized club. A ecipe for mediocrity in the medium term.

All the main points have been mentioned :lol:

The second half performance was quite surprising and Martins was excellent. We (and he) didn't have the best of first halfs and I was half-expecting the game to fizzle out but credit to the lads, what a fantastic second half. All Birmingham had were long shots/ball hoofed up Allardyce style thing, we defended well even though I thought Taylor and Faye weren't at their best.

The players deserve praise for the way they responded and we probably should have won that game. Bring on Fulham!

With that team, we will struggle against Fulham in just the same way as we struggled last night. I didn't think the new formation worked well at all. I couldn't see any sign of co-ordination or understanding. Fair play to Martins, I'm not his greatest fan, but he really saved our bacon. He moved inside and used his strength to cause problems - trouble is, he may have been acting on his own initiative, as was suggested when Keegan took him off.

It worries me that Keegan might think he's found the way forward. I don't think he has. Fulham will be a tougher nut to crack.

Guest icemanblue

Right - all those who said after the first few games "we can't be judged against Man Utd and Arsenal" (whcih was a load of fucking shite, by the way, and those peopel were cretins), and "wait till we play Blackbur, Birmingham etc".........will you now accept that we are not a good side??

We ARE NOT a 'big club', we are an average sized club.

We do NOT have "class" players, The Zog apart.

Our manager is NOT "top class", he's a very average manager who perfoemed above himself more than 10 years ago.

Players like Faye are NOT "beasts" for us, they are journeymen pros.

Our owner and Chairman are NOT geniuses, their lack of footballing knowledge has been very much found out.

Harper 5   

He's a decent backup keeper, and he showed that.

Enrique 5

Anyone who says this boy is class isn;t watchig, or is falling for the "all our players are great" shite. Very average.

Faye 4

NOT A GREAT PLAYER. Fucking idiots who thnk he's some kind of beast need to wind their necks in.

Taylor 6

Wankers on here will still bitch on, despite him being the best CB we have, because its 'trendy' to knock him, normally without even watching him play.

Beye 6     

Caught out a lot last night. Good enough for a top 10 side, not much more.

Geremi 4

Shit, as exected, only slower.

Butt 4     

Poor, but then he's not actually very good, so what do we expect.

Barton 3

Some peopel are still making excuses for this cunt. WATCH HIM PLAY. He's not a good player, far too many basic errors.

Martins 6

Did alright, despite the typical lack of ball control in his first touch.

Viduka 4

Get this straight - NOT class, NOT great, JUST mediocre, fat and lazy.

Owen 6

Best game for a while, would have been even better had Keegan not fucked up the midfield, Again.

Keegan 4

Average manager with shit players at an average sized club. A ecipe for mediocrity in the medium term.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Actually, that applies to it all.  Of course, Barton is the exception.