Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

We're all pleased we came away with a draw, but a lot of people are getting carried away here. It shows how low the expectations are that avoiding defeat against a team like Birmingham is celebrated like it was some great performance.

Martins - Viduka - Owen is not a natural trio for a 4-3-3, and it showed. You need players who can go wide and drop back, and all three are out and out strikers. We got away with it because they have a very weak defence and they couldn't handle Martins in the second half. That was the only threat we carried, and it won't work against a better side. And forget the recent results, last night Brum were piss poor.

We're all pleased we came away with a draw, but a lot of people are getting carried away here. It shows how low the expectations are that avoiding defeat against a team like Birmingham is celebrated like it was some great performance.

Martins - Viduka - Owen is not a natural trio for a 4-3-3, and it showed. You need players who can go wide and drop back, and all three are out and out strikers. We got away with it because they have a very weak defence and they couldn't handle Martins in the second half. That was the only threat we carried, and it won't work against a better side. And forget the recent results, last night Brum were piss poor.

We only need it to work against the worse sides though.

Guest fraser

Neither could they handle Owen dropping into midfield or Butt's tenacity and outstanding tackling, or the fact that they got nothing from the flanks because both full-backs played so well. Every one of us understands this is no team of world-beaters but they do deserve credit, as does Keegan, for getting a lot right last night.

It all hinges on our three home games against Fulham, Sunderland and Reading, and on last night's performance, I don't fancy our chances of getting more than 4 points from those three. They aren't worse than Birmingham, our home form isn't great, and it'll still be mighty close.

I can't believe that more hasn't been made of Butt's challenge on Larsson last night.

Butt obviously took exception to being shoved into the dugout by Larsson and not more than 5 minutes later whacked Larsson which, if not deliberate, certainly looked reckless. I couldn't believe, and neither could Butt, that he didn't get at least a yellow card for the challenge, and it hasn't even been mentioned by McLeish.

I think Larsson's substitution at half time helped change the game in our favour, but if the same challenge had been made on one or our players I'd have been screaming for at least a 3 game ban for the perpetrator.

Doesn't that just nullify your whole bloody argument? I really hate that way of thinking. It's like when people criticise a player if he scores against a poor team. What does that make the rest of the players then? Even worse, cos they couldn't score?

We're playing the teams that are in and around us. Some of which, i believe, will not be as tough games as the one we played last night.

Basically, what you've said is "oh, we've only done well because we have a player that makes us play well." We didn't 'get away with it', we had a player(s) that helped us get a result we deserved.

:undecided:

I can't believe that more hasn't been made of Butt's challenge on Larsson last night.

Butt obviously took exception to being shoved into the dugout by Larsson and not more than 5 minutes later whacked Larsson which, if not deliberate, certainly looked reckless. I couldn't believe, and neither could Butt, that he didn't get at least a yellow card for the challenge, and it hasn't even been mentioned by McLeish.

I think Larsson's substitution at half time helped change the game in our favour, but if the same challenge had been made on one or our players I'd have been screaming for at least a 3 game ban for the perpetrator.

Pretty sure he did get booked for that one.

It all hinges on our three home games against Fulham, Sunderland and Reading, and on last night's performance, I don't fancy our chances of getting more than 4 points from those three. They aren't worse than Birmingham, our home form isn't great, and it'll still be mighty close.

Birmingham away are pretty tough nuts, especially since McLeish took over. Fulham, Sunderland and Reading at home definitely looke the easier fixtures before last night. Mr Hindsight has entered the building I think.

We're playing the teams that are in and around us. Some of which, i believe, will not be as tough games as the one we played last night.

Well that's where we differ. I think there are tougher games ahead. Birmingham in the second half were terrible. And we do need to start actually winning.

Martins did well, and can create problems for better defences, with his strength and pace. But that won't be enough.

Birmingham away are pretty tough nuts, especially since McLeish took over. Fulham, Sunderland and Reading at home definitely looke the easier fixtures before last night. Mr Hindsight has entered the building I think.

Did they look like 'pretty tough nuts' to you last night?

Fulham, sunderland and Reading aren't worse than Birmingham? ???

Even if you're right (and I don't think you are), it's hardly a huge difference. Those three clubs have won one away game between them. Not saying it'll be easy, it won't, but howay.

they have not lost there since november or so i heard yesterday

so yes.

so yes.

That doesn't make sense. I'm talking about how they looked last night.

so yes.

You can't just cherry-pick a dodgy 45 minute period to say they're shite man!  :lol:

Maybe we made them look shite? 

Pretty sure he did get booked for that one.

No he wasn't. Geremi and Taylor were our only bookings last night.

so yes.

You can't just cherry-pick a dodgy 45 minute period to say they're shite man!  :lol:

Is that what you really think? That the quality of our play made them look shite?

so yes.

You can't just cherry-pick a dodgy 45 minute period to say they're s**** man!  :lol:

Maybe we made them look s****? 

Is that what you really think? That the quality of our play made them look s****?

You reckon they just weren't arsed then or what?

so yes.

Is that what you really think? That the quality of our play made them look shite?

In the second half, yeah. We kept the ball reasonably well and fashioned a few chances. We had them on the back foot for long periods of time and could easily have won it.

No other team has won there for 4 months. We came very close to doing so.

Can't really see what you're getting at by slagging off the result. Unless you're on the wind-up like. 

so yes.

You can't just cherry-pick a dodgy 45 minute period to say they're s**** man!  :lol:

Maybe we made them look s****? 

Is that what you really think? That the quality of our play made them look s****?

You reckon they just weren't arsed then or what?

I thought they were a Championship standard side, with only one class player in McFadden.

Sorry, it just sounds like people are persuading themselves that we were up against decent opposition based on some previous results. Well whatever got them those results, it didn't show last night.

Sorry, it just sounds like people are persuading themselves that we were up against decent opposition based on some previous results. Well whatever got them those results, it didn't show last night.

But you reckon Fulham, the mackems and Reading are going to show a significant step up in class away from home?

How do you know how 'decent' the opposition is if you don't use their previous results?  ???

But you reckon Fulham, the mackems and Reading are going to show a significant step up in class away from home?

I hate to grim you out, Wullie, but we've got Sunderland at our place on Saturday, and not only are we playing shite recently, but we're also undergoing an injury crisis.

If Dwight Yorke scores, I will kill myself.