We really must be bad....

Decky

.... if this was our midfield against Brum:

Geremi    Barton    Butt    Martins

???

Either that or 433 with Martins up front, but still. I would easily say that is the worst if not then in the top 3 worst midfields the league has seen all year. When was the last season our midfield was so terrible?

Geremi    Barton    Butt     Martins

???

Either that or 433 with Martins up front, but still. I would easily say that is the worst if not then in the top 3 worst midfields the league has seen all year. When was the last season our midfield was so terrible?

The sport scientist genius of Allardyce truly was revealed in his letting go Nobby and Dyer to replace them with Barton and Geremi (and Smith even!). Who needs creativity when you have grit and ProZone?

Geremi    Barton    Butt    Martins

???

The sport scientist genius of Allardyce truly was revealed in his letting go Nobby and Dyer to replace them with Barton and Geremi (and Smith even!). Who needs creativity when you have grit and ProZone?

The fact is both Dyer and Nobby wanted to leave for personal and family reasons nothing to do with Sam.

He got the replacements all wrong but let's not pretend either of them would have been available 100% of the time for us. 

Solano has been in and out of the West Ham side and probably has worse legs than Geremi at this point. 

Dyer BROKE a fucking leg and won't be back until May.  FFS if he'd still been with us half of you lot would be circlejerking over how you knew something like this would happen and how he should have been shipped out in the summer.  You know you would have so don't bother replying that you wouldn't. 

Probably was the right thing to let them go but the wrong thing to get Geremi and Barton in place of them. 

I thought Butt had a great game last night, Geremi was generally ok although Barton was shocking (again!).

Same midfield but, replace Barton with Zog on Saturday for me, it is about as good as we have got.

Surely Diatta can't be any worse than Faye either............  Either him or give Cacapa another go!!

I thought Butt had a great game last night, Geremi was generally ok although Barton was shocking (again!).

Same midfield but, replace Barton with Zog on Saturday for me, it is about as good as we have got.

Surely Diatta can't be any worse than Faye either............  Either him or give Cacapa another go!!

Oooo, kneejerk tastic. He's had one poor game ffs.

Agree. Faye is the best central defender we've had since Woodgate imo.

i would say that midfield is half decent tbh, nicky butt has been a big player for us over the past 2 seasons, geremi has played well in his last 2 games, martins is our top goalscorer, even though he was kind of playing upfront, barton is the shit one, but he still creates quite a bit without people noticeing

faye has been diabolical the last few games, mistake after mistake and he now cant clear a ball.

he was our best defender BEFORE african cup of nations, now beye or enrique can be classed as our 'best' defenders

Faye had a torrid time last night a lightweight striker had him allover the shop, he did not look his usual settled self, Butt had to give him and Taylor loads more cover and protection in the 2nd half.

I do worry though that we don;t have the right midfield players to have a decent three man midfield system, a three man midfield's means both Milner and Zoggy get dropped and they are our midfield pace.

i would say that midfield is half decent tbh, nicky butt has been a big player for us over the past 2 seasons, geremi has played well in his last 2 games, martins is our top goalscorer, even though he was kind of playing upfront, barton is the s*** one, but he still creates quite a bit without people noticeing

faye has been diabolical the last few games, mistake after mistake and he now cant clear a ball.

he was our best defender BEFORE african cup of nations, now beye or enrique can be classed as our 'best' defenders

Faye had an excellent game against Blackburn and I wouldn't single him out for special mention over anyone else against Liverpool.  My point was about central defenders not defenders in general btw. Beye has been our best defender all season. But he isn't a central defender or at least hasn't been used as one here. It looks like Enrique is starting to settle.

"The fact is both Dyer and Nobby wanted to leave for personal and family reasons nothing to do with Sam."

hahahha u actually believe that!!  thats just spin, cos faty couldnt admit to losing someof his biggest players.

I hate that being spouted out as a excuse to let them go, just look at the way Keegan handled N'Zogbia, he wanted to leave in january but at least turned his head to getting another 15-20 games out of him. We all know that Solano loved the club and the City, you cant tell me he couldnt have been talked into staying until january at least, that player alone could have been the diffrence between where we are and being 6-7 points better off

Faye had a bad game last night, let's hope it was just a bad day at the office. He's looked our best centre back otherwise. I thought Taylor had a few hairy moments as well but that's to be expected. He really worries me. Nicky Butt for all I've criticised him, was good last night. Stood up to be counted.

I would say that Faye has not looked great all for a few weeks and last night was a shocker for him, his ability to clear the ball from danger is weak and for a big guy he is poor in the air.

I never make knee jerk reactions to football, I am as emotional about Newcastle as the next man but, I have been around long enough to remain phylosophical, I feel that I am very forgiving to players having a "bad day" but, Faye has never looked comfortable on the ball to me and in recent weeks he has got worse.  Confidence is a problem for him.

Cacapa is great on the ball (most of the time) and has a decent turn of pace for an older player but, Diatta is captain of Senegal and has played with Beye numerous times meaning that it would make sense to look seriously at giving him a go with Taylor.  Taylor needs a strong partner to lead him, if he is confident in his partner at the centre of defence Taylor seems to play a lot better himself.

I quite like Cacapa but he doesn't have a decent turn of pace by any standards. Fucking sick of hearing about players needed to basically 'carry' Taylor too.

Didn't say that Taylor needs to be carried, I said that he plays better when he is with another central defender who is strong and vocal.  Taylor is a very decent player and doesn't do too much wrong but, when his confidence is up as it often is when playing along side a more vociferous partner he is almost the complete package, more than good enough for a top half Premier League team anyway.

PS - Cacapa has got decent pace, not electric by any standards but, he is pretty quick in a straight line.

I would say that Faye has not looked great all for a few weeks and last night was a shocker for him, his ability to clear the ball from danger is weak and for a big guy he is poor in the air.

I never make knee jerk reactions to football, I am as emotional about Newcastle as the next man but, I have been around long enough to remain phylosophical, I feel that I am very forgiving to players having a "bad day" but, Faye has never looked comfortable on the ball to me and in recent weeks he has got worse.  Confidence is a problem for him.

Cacapa is great on the ball (most of the time) and has a decent turn of pace for an older player but, Diatta is captain of Senegal and has played with Beye numerous times meaning that it would make sense to look seriously at giving him a go with Taylor.  Taylor needs a strong partner to lead him, if he is confident in his partner at the centre of defence Taylor seems to play a lot better himself.

Wait ... so you think Faye  has never looked comfortable on the ball and has a confidence problem, but you think he should be dropped while Taylor remains in the team  ???

Multiply those problems you have identified in Faye by a million and that is Taylor, so if anything Taylor should be the one heading to the bench.

Both Faye and Taylor would have benefitted immensely from playing alongside Woodgate. :(

Both need to be carried to an extent, neither seem able to organise the defence at all. Cacapa isn't physically built for the Premiership, or at least not at this point in his career anyway, but it would seem that he alongside one of Faye or Taylor would be the best way to go.

Taylor is an accident waiting to happen at the minute though, so Faye should be starting ahead of him.