Sir Bobby Launches Cancer Charity - Donation page link in OP

GM

:clap2: Great stuff. What a legend.

They raised over £200,000 last night at a dinner which was well attended.  I have some stories if I remember them but I couldn't put them in here as I know where it would take this.  Richard Keys and Sir Alex were having a dig at somebody who turned up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the honour of meeting him for the first time last week. No other words to describe him other than Local Hero.

Had the honour of knowing someone who was going to one day submit some money to the cause. He was also so great he told everyone else several weeks later after they had that they should do what he has just thinking about doing.

He was a legend.

Had the honour of knowing someone who was going to one day submit some money to the cause. He was alos so great he told everyone else several weeks later after thewy day that they should do what he has just thinking about dong.

He was a legend.

Skirge, use your own login details, you'll get Toon's Taylor into trouble.  :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bobby writes:

The best team of my life

Fabio Capello will join me this week for one of the proudest days of my life, and it will have nothing to do with football.

I am honoured Fabio will be a guest when I open the Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Unit in Newcastle on Friday, the culmination of 12 months that has raised £1.2million.

And I must thank the Football Association, who will mark the occasion by donating an extremely generous £75,000 to my cancer foundation.

It was hard for me to know what path my life would take after leaving Newcastle in 2004. After all, football had been the only thing I had known for more than 50 years.

But after having been diagnosed with cancer for a fifth time and meeting so many people who were going through the same ordeal, it has been an uplifting experience to start a new 'career', as a fund-raiser to help people fight this disease.

When we launched the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation in March last year, we had a clear aim: to help my oncologist, Professor Ruth Plummer, raise the money she needed to kit out this cancer trials research centre for patients from across the North-East, Cumbria and North Yorkshire.

Within seven weeks, we had raised the initial £500,000 target, and since then the money has continued to pour in thanks to the wonderful generosity of the British public - from celebrities and well-known organisations to the ordinary man and woman in the street.

And although the foundation and the research unit carries my name, it would not have been possible without the help and hard work of a fantastic team who have helped make it happen. Judith, Liz, Ruth and others - thank you so much.

I have known some great times in football, but none will be more satisfying than when I step into the unit for the first time, knowing it is going to help patients and save lives for years to come.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1145566/Roman-Abramovich-failings-cost-Chelsea.html