Is N'Zogbia's exit inevitable? (Maybe not - Page 24!)

TRon

The trustworthy as ever NOTW has a story about us swapping Zoggy for Aaron Lennon.

http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/04/keegan-wants-le.html

KEVIN KEEGAN wants to bring Aaron Lennon to Newcastle — in a swap deal with Charles N'Zogbia.

Lennon, rated at around £10million, is also wanted by Liverpool.

And Spurs boss Juande Ramos is tempted to cash in on the winger, 21 later this month.

N'Zogbia, 21, is determined to leave the North East and is keen on a return to London.

He is frustrated at often being asked to play out of position at full-back by Toon boss Keegan and the former Le Havre ace is one of the first to leave the training ground every day.

Note the lack of sources and the underlined bit. They really know their stuff at the News of the World. I had no idea Le Havre were based in London.

Guest MaetihS

Vastly overrated. Not impressed with his form and play the past 2 seasons. Not atrocious but also not that good,....noticed that his play is a lot of like Dyer's which is not so bad actually. lots of running into blind alleys and passing and shooting needs to improve by loads though.

Guest DONTOONER

Sneaky late edit there!!

I have to admit, that's mainly what I see the current midfield doing - albeit in what is essentially the human version of slow motion. If N'Zogbia was the most attacking of a midfield three, which is what I initially proposed, then what else would you be expecting of him?

As long as he's chasing down, tracking a few runs and making sure their midfield don't get time to play what else can we really ask of him!?

but with only 3 in midfield and maybe 4 against him and 2 full backs pushing on you need more than "good on the ball and works a bit"....does his stuff on the ball make him worth a place in a 3 man midfield ?...not in my opinion

Perhaps not immediately, not with where his head is at and how Keegan is asking the lads in midfield to play (they've all picked up a good deal recently, too, although they couldn't have got much worse.) I do think he could become a real player in that sort of role and if he leaves I don't think he'll regret it, I think he'd probably prosper somewhere like Spurs.

Suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I fear he wont fit into the midfield role played by barton...as his passing is shit....has his head down most of the time.....and when his left is blocked...he will struggle to pass around...

I think is time to make some money out of him....he clearly wants to go,

Guest Phil K

I'd say Goodbye, and hope you have the same end result as "Bling" Dyer did.

As for Lennon - he seems to have gone back a bit, recently hasn't he ? Unsettled maybe ?

I would be very disappointed to see Zoggy leave for another Premiership club and even more so to see Lennon come in as a replacement.

I'd rather he stayed but its looking pretty ominous ie lack of games and the silence. We'll find out soon

I don't want to see him in this league, sell him to Lyon or someone for a tidy sum.

In terms of Lennon, the juries out. I think Keegan would use his pace in a brilliant way but his ability on the ball isn't as a good as Charles N'Zogbia's.

IF N'Zogbia must leave we might as well get the money for him and then choose who we would like to sign. Bentley please.

If there is no chance of persuading zoggy to stay at Newcastle, Lennon is one of the few players around that I'd consider a suitable replacement

I agree. I'd prefer we kept N'Zog, but it's looking less and less likely. They're both decent players at the moment with bags of potential and a very direct style. This post in particular

Vastly overrated. Not impressed with his form and play the past 2 seasons. Not atrocious but also not that good,....noticed that his play is a lot of like Dyer's which is not so bad actually. lots of running into blind alleys and passing and shooting needs to improve by loads though.

Could easily be about either player. Both rough diamonds at the moment.

If there is no chance of persuading zoggy to stay at Newcastle, Lennon is one of the few players around that I'd consider a suitable replacement

I agree. I'd prefer we kept N'Zog, but it's looking less and less likely. They're both decent players at the moment with bags of potential and a very direct style. This post in particular

Also like Stuart Downing, but zoggy staying and fulfilling his potential would be better

Yeah, I'd prefer us to keep N'Zogbia as well, but we need someone with pace and 'directness' on the wings. I'd probably go for SWP ahead of Lennon, but either would give us what we would lose (albeit on a different wing) if N'Zogbia left. If we were to play 4-4-2 and could pick a combiation of 2 of those 3 on the wings we'd be looking very good indeed....

Also like Stuart Downing, but zoggy staying and fulfilling his potential would be better

Downing gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. He's the only player in the top ten cross converters in the league that plays for a side in the bottom half of the table.

Doubt we ever sign him mind, for various reasons.

Out of N'Zogbia and Lennon, the former is the better footballer IMO.

Yeah, I'd prefer us to keep N'Zogbia as well, but we need someone with pace and 'directness' on the wings. I'd probably go for SWP ahead of Lennon, but either would give us what we would lose (albeit on a different wing) if N'Zogbia left. If we were to play 4-4-2 and could pick a combiation of 2 of those 3 on the wings we'd be looking very good indeed....

I agree. For me SWP is just a better version of Lennon.

Bearing in mind that David Bentley would be my top transfer target, personally, this is on the basis zoggy stays. So if he goes we need someone else and that makes a left sided player to be the direct replacement.

If Bentley goes somewhere else then I suppose Lennon of SWP are the next best bet but we need one of those regardless

Downing gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. He's the only player in the top ten cross converters in the league that plays for a side in the bottom half of the table.

Doubt we ever sign him mind, for various reasons.

Out of N'Zogbia and Lennon, the former is the better footballer IMO.

I wasn't aware the smoggies give Downing stick. I think he's a very accomplished and controlled footballer, not as quick as the others mentioned but an excellent crosser all the same.

Bearing in mind that David Bentley would be my top transfer target, personally, this is on the basis zoggy stays. So if he goes we need someone else and that makes a left sided player to be the direct replacement.

If Bentley goes somewhere else then I suppose Lennon of SWP are the next best bet but we need one of those regardless

I'd also be tempted to try Arteta if we're really going ambitious, very unlikely though. If he or Bentley were to come in for the RHS (perfect scenario) I'd do all I possibly could to keep N'Zog's pace on the left. Downing is pretty good but doesn't have the drive, and Lennon/SWP are both very one-footed. One of my main issues with the team at the moment is the lack of pace to pin an opponent back, so I would be loathe to lose even more this summer.

I agree. For me SWP is just a better version of Lennon.

There's a huge difference between those two unless I have made up SWP's exploits at MCFC, where he carried the team despite his young age. I have never seen anything in Lennon that suggests he is capable of being a goal threath the way SWP is..