Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 4 Newcastle - 30/03/08 - post match reaction from page 25

James

I'd like to know from someone who went to the game, are the fans starting to get behind Owen (i.e. chants etc.)?

we were all jumping up and down singing 'heyyyy michael owen, michael owen, heyyyy michael owenn' when he scored, then sang it a bit later, and sang it once again when he got subbed, he even came over at the end and clapped us, as did all the players, for once all 11 came over and cheared the fans on, was class!! oh and 4 of them gave their tops away...

Thanks to the end of Daylight Saving here in WA, was able to watch the whole game before midnight - and what a pleasure it was.

Lucky ba*tard.

I'm in SA and the game started at 12.30 - not good if you have to work the next day.

I hope your mining boom continues - I might have to move over there.  O0

The Boom is forecast to go on for at least 20 years(although there may be a short hiccup in it because the Chinese may be making less if the US is in recession for long) - truck drivers in the mining areas are earning

over $120,000 p.a. - not bad eh..?

Many people earning big bucks ..

Only once under Allardyce, and they battered us 2-3 last time at WHL.

No we battered THEM 3-2 last time at WHL :D.

I think he acknowledges we won, but we got fuckin battered in any case. (could have been 3-0 after 10mins)

Only once under Allardyce, and they battered us 2-3 last time at WHL.

No we battered THEM 3-2 last time at WHL :D.

No, they battered US last time at whl but we WON 3-2.

Man Ure  4 - Villa 0  Man U were awesome did everything right fantastic blah blah blah,

no one mentioned how poor Villa were and how much space they gave Man Ure.

Spuds 1 - Toon 4 - all about how s**** spurs were, if your opponent is crap you still have to play well to take advantage of their mistakes.

(I am not saying we are anywhere near the quality of Man Ure but the bias boils my piss)

Yeah, but that Ronaldo goal wsa a total wankathon though

Aye, its just going  his way right now a little flick like that and it makes it through all those players and beats the keeper, Villa were still very very poor though.

The Independent saying nice things about us  :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-hotspur-1-newcastle-united-4-newcastle-hint-at-return-of-old-keegan-magic-802798.html

Tottenham Hotspur 1 Newcastle United 4: Newcastle hint at return of old Keegan magic

By Glenn Moore

Monday, 31 March 2008

Hilarious as many outsiders have found Tyneside's footballing soap opera this season, all neutrals should be cheered by events at White Hart Lane yesterday. It was not just the improbable result, which should ensure Newcastle United remain in the Premier League next season, but the performance. A scintillating second-half display evoked echoes of Kevin Keegan's glorious first spell as commander of the Toon Army. Assuming chairman Mike Ashley invests this summer, maybe, just maybe, "The Messiah" can justify the hype which accompanied his return in January.

Keegan has cut a miserable figure for much of the time since, watching on helplessly as his team went nine matches without a victory. Yesterday he observed their second win on the spin wreathed in smiles. What made it all the more pleasing was that Newcastle conceded first, to Darren Bent. Nicky Butt's equaliser, in first-half injury-time, provided the injection of confidence United needed and goals from Geremi, Michael Owen, and Obafemi Martins completed their biggest league win in nearly two seasons.

A beaming, ebullient Keegan, said: "I thought we were outstanding. It was a tough fixture against a team which has shown massive progress and we could have had seven or eight. You dream about playing like that away from home and winning 4-1, in reality it is difficult to get in those situations.

"We have played good football in the last few games, plenty good enough for me. We have got a small squad but it is full of quality players with experience. We should not be where we are but when I came we had four players at the African Nations Cup and others injured."

Keegan insisted Newcastle were not safe yet but, pressed, admitted he had already been thinking of the summer's transfer activity. There would not be much, he said, just some squad strengthening and "two or three" players who would make a potentially good team better. "It will not take a lot to set us alight," he said, adding there was nothing to fear outside the top four.

Keegan talks like this most weeks but this time there was the evidence to support his optimism. The previous weekend's victory at home to Fulham, and Saturday's favourable results, meant the pressure had eased and Newcastle played with freedom from the kick-off. Habib Beye, seizing on an error by Jonathan Woodgate – who played as if the mere sight of a black-and-white shirt awoke nightmare memories of his own time in Newcastle's notoriously porous back four – struck the bar after four minutes and Joey Barton tested Paul Robinson. Spurs looked uninterested, but nevertheless took the lead when Bent rose above the otherwise impressive Abdoulaye Faye to glance in Steed Malbranque's cross.

Spurs took control but were stunned when Butt's low drive skidded past an apparently unsighted Robinson. That restored Newcastle's belief and transformed the match. Barton hit a post within minutes of the restart, then Robinson was again left motionless as Geremi drove a free-kick through a flimsy wall.

Keegan had once more played all three of his strikers, Owen dropping off Mark Viduka and Martins. He rarely gave the ball away as he linked play, yet also ghosted into dangerous positions. Maybe Owen should audition for the "Gerrard role" for England. "Why is he not playing for England? You will have to ask Fabio Capello, but I think he will play when the big games come around," Keegan said.

Nothing summed up Keegan's positive approach better than Owen's goal. Martins collected the ball near the halfway line with Jamie O'Hara blocking his way. Keegan rushed to the touchline and screamed: "Run at him, attack him". Martins obeyed. O'Hara, scared of incurring a second yellow card, tackled gingerly. Martins skipped by. He rolled the ball into Viduka, who deftly flicked it into the path of the oncoming Owen and he coolly scooped a shot past Robinson.

Barton made the fourth, robbing Adel Taarabt then releasing Martins, who dribbled past Teemu Tainio, then slid the ball past Robinson. White Hart Lane emptied, except for a corner of raucous Geordies. Juande Ramos blamed his heaviest home defeat as Spurs manager on the fact "points were not important [to us]." Keegan agreed: "We had more to play for than them, and it showed."

Playing like this, however, Newcastle will beat motivated teams as well as listless ones. "We had, fitness, ability, desire. You can go anywhere in football with that," Keegan said.

Goals: Bent (26) 1-0; Butt (45) 1-1; Geremi (52) 1-2; Owen (65) 1-3; Martins (83) 1-4.

Tottenham Hotspur (4-3-1-2): Robinson; Hutton, Dawson, Woodgate, O'Hara; Malbranque (Lennon, 59), Zokora (Tainio, 69), Huddlestone; Berbatov; Bent, Keane (Taarabt, 59). Substitutes not used: Cerny (gk), Chimbonda.

Newcastle United (4-3-1-2): Harper; Beye, Taylor, Faye, Enrique; Geremi (Edgar, 89), Butt, Barton; Owen (Carroll, 85); Viduka (Smith, 79), Martins. Substitutes not used: Forster (gk), Duff.

Referee: S Bennett (Kent).

Booked: Spurs O'Hara; Newcastle Butt.

Man of the match: Owen.

Attendance: 36,067

From a Spurs perspective, there's not really much to say.  In the first half we were decent if not great, the second half was probably the worst 45 minutes we've played all season.  Ramos didn't help with a bit of experimenting but experiments should still produce commitment and Dawson and Hutton apart, maybe include O'Hara to a degree, commitment was lacking also.

TBH, I didn't think Newcastle were wonderful but were far too good for a woeful Spurs.    I don't think I would want to be one of the players at training this morning.  At least Ramos should be now aware of exactly who has the capability and commitment to take Spurs forward.  As I've said in earlier threads, I think there will be significant changes in the summer.  And on the strength of the second half performance, the summer can't come soon enough.

Fair play to you for coming on here today.

I thought you just about shaded the first half, but it was by no means a travesty it went in all square, I can only remember one save from Harper, and Beye hit the bar.

Dawson and O'Hara may have been committed but they were both terrible - Hutton looked good to me though. Your midfield is shocking, completely overrun, and whilst Bent and Keane looked threatening Berbs put in one of his classic 'couldn't give a s***' performances. I'd agree with you that we weren't brilliant, but we were very, very good, and tore you to pieces especially as you pushed on for an equaliser. Geremi's goal showed why Robinson shouldn't be playing for you anymore.

No big issue for me to come here, been doing it regualarly for nearly 3 years and haven't spoken about a Spurs win yet!

I think that, Hutton apart, it was a bad day at the office for all of them.  I can live with that.  It's rare for all players to play well, normally one or two will play badly sometimes and if they all play badly it makes it look worse than it really is.  What really boiled my p*ss yesterday was the fact that most weren't bothered whether we won, lost or got hammered, it was like the summer holidays start now.  I've heard that Ramos hadn't calmed down today even after a night's sleep!

I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't win another game this season so long as the players who wear the shirt put in a shift and if that means bringing in a few of the kids, so be it.  Defeat is part and parcel of the game, it happens.  Just rolling over because you can't be arsed to put in some work isn't.

When they (the players) came in, I didn't speak for the first two minutes, cause they were doing it for me, "Come on, we're better than them, we can win this, we're a different class".

Keegan to World in the post-match interview.

When they (the players) came in, I didn't speak for the first two minutes, cause they were doing it for me, "Come on, we're better than them, we can win this, we're a different class".

I got butterflies a couple of times in the second half yesterday, reading that has just done it again.  :smitten:

with our 4-3-3 spurs were pushed wide and they went wide, but had no substance in the centre of midfield. i didnt even know zokora was playing till he got subbed off. martins and owen worked back to help regain the ball and then on the attack owen was the outlet who had martins or viduka to aim for. the other player who deserves a lot of credit is barton who was fantastic and showed why he is known as a box to box midfielder.

even when you look at their team on paper,take away the forward line and it looks weak.

Would be difficult to believe, except they actually played like they believed it.

Guest newcastle4life

Great result by the lads couldnt believe how easy it was. Hopefully the good performances carry on until the end of the season.  ;D

Nothing summed up Keegan's positive approach better than Owen's goal. Martins collected the ball near the halfway line with Jamie O'Hara blocking his way. Keegan rushed to the touchline and screamed: "Run at him, attack him". Martins obeyed. O'Hara, scared of incurring a second yellow card, tackled gingerly. Martins skipped by. He rolled the ball into Viduka, who deftly flicked it into the path of the oncoming Owen and he coolly scooped a shot past Robinson.

Fucking love it. :smitten:

Fucking love it. :smitten:

KK mentioned this to world as well, that he told him to be more selfish, that he's almost unstopable one-on-one in training and that he should do it during games as well. Got us two goals yesterday, well done Kev and Oba  O0

I've not read much of this thread, but has anyone commented on Woodgate? I'm assuming from his performance that he still loves us, as he was bloody awful.

Better than Terry though :D :D :D

He was our MOTM :D