What Four Players?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan says he wants four players, but where would you look to add to the squad?

I've added all the major team roles I can think of, to clarify a few:

Sweeping Centre Half = Woodgate

Physically Imposing Centre Half = Faye

Midfield Playmaker = Arteta, Kranjcar, ie they can play in the centre or out wide, but look to beat the opposition through passing rather than looking to get behind people like a winger on an attacking midfielder.

Forward Playmaker = Bergkamp, Zola, Gudjonssen, Litmanen

Can't you just call it a centre-back...? I've got a feeling it'll mess up the results of a potentially quite interesting poll...

I went for: Target man, Attacking centre-mid, Right-mid, Centre-back. Brand new crux.

Wasn't sure about the target man one, i could have chosen defensive midfielder. I like Viduka but he'll continue to be a luxury player imo. A top quality centre-forward could help the team a massive amount.

Voted for sweeping centre-half, midfield playmaker, right winger, target man striker.

If Zoggy goes, swap the target man for a left winger.

Given more options I'd also replace Butt and get a backup to Enrique.

Can't you just call it a centre-back...? I've got a feeling it'll mess up the results of a potentially quite interesting poll...

People may want to sign two centre backs, and it adds detail on the kind of centre halfs people want to see. Obviously both added together indicates the popularity of the centre back choice, and I think it is a bit better than just putting CB1 and CB2.

People may want to sign two centre backs, and it adds detail on the kind of centre halfs people want to see. Obviously both added together indicates the popularity of the centre back choice, and I think it is a bit better than just putting CB1 and CB2.

why not go for 2 centre halves who are physically strong,good in the aor,read the game well and are canny on the ball ?

Voted for sweeping centre-half, midfield playmaker, right winger, target man striker.

If Zoggy goes, swap the target man for a left winger.

Given more options I'd also replace Butt and get a backup to Enrique.

Exactly my thoughts, Dave.

In all fairness though, if we were to spend a fair wedge, i wouldn't be massively dissatisfied if we threw it all at the midfield. I've always said we've got good individuals upfront and in defense - we've got nowt in midfield (in spite of recent performances, the likes of Butt, Barton and Milner need upgrading if we're gonna go anywhere).

I went for: Target man, Attacking centre-mid, Right-mid, Centre-back. Brand new crux.

Wasn't sure about the target man one, i could have chosen defensive midfielder. I like Viduka but he'll continue to be a luxury player imo. A top quality centre-forward could help the team a massive amount.

Same as me, provided 4-4-2 is still in Keegan's thinking (his main plan)! I have to say this formation we're currently playing excites me though, and could be even better (obviously) with some more mobile players in it. Swap the likes of Viduka, Butt and Geremi for three players with a bit more pace/power/presence and youth and it could look even better. Owen looks rejuvenated, Martins is showing he's good enough and I still think Barton could play his part.

I think Viduka is quality when fit, but it's fair to say that we can't rely on him for a full season. He's still a good option to have in the squad though, and will probably still have a huge part to play if he's not required to play every minute of every game.

We're still desperate for a quality centre-half. Faye has been incredibly suspect lately and Taylor still flatters to deceive, the goalkeepers and the fullbacks are good enough as it stands (first-team wise). We need a leader in there, and I'm fed up of saying it.

Butt and Geremi have been good lately, but they're simply getting on too much and probably shouldn't be automatic choices - much like Viduka, I'd imagine they're good blokes to have around the place. So I suppose if it was a 4-3-3 I'd be after a centre-half, two central midfielders and a target man.

Depends what the formation is ...433 and id say mainly midfielders but ive assued 442 so go for DM,AM, and RW for opton was a sweeping centehalf to compliment Faye.

That's the thing. If we've got cash to spend and clear a few out - he can start building whatever he wants to build. Whatever formation/whatever system/whatever players.

why not go for 2 centre halves who are physically strong,good in the aor,read the game well and are canny on the ball ?

I'm not saying that one player should have good attributes in a certain part of their game, and not so good in other areas, rather I'm looking at the role of the player, ie at Manyoo, Ferdinand is the more cultured, and Vidic the more physically imposing.

Depends what the formation is ...433 and id say mainly midfielders but ive assued 442 so go for DM,AM, and RW for opton was a sweeping centehalf to compliment Faye.

That's the thing. If we've got cash to spend and clear a few out - he can start building whatever he wants to build. Whatever formation/whatever system/whatever players.

Tell me about it, its gonna be an exciting summer, at the moment, i dont know whichi would prefer seeing us play (442/433), Man U and Chelsea have been putting it to good use so if we canget the quality in this summer i cant see why we cant be the same.

Should add that I'd be surprised if we only signed 4 players this summer.

Methinks it's more lip service from Keegan, aimed at keeping the morale up and making the players feel like he has faith in them.

Don't see why he wouldn't have a major clearout, if the funds are provided, he knows the squad isn't big enough by half and he obviously knows a few players simply aren't good enough (see Ameobi leaving for proof of that, with Carr and Ramage hopefully to follow).

Should add that I'd be surprised if we only signed 4 players this summer.

Methinks it's more lip service from Keegan, aimed at keeping the morale up and making the players feel like he has faith in them.

Don't see why he wouldn't have a major clearout, if the funds are provided, he knows the squad isn't big enough by half and he obviously knows a few players simply aren't good enough (see Ameobi leaving for proof of that, with Carr and Ramage hopefully to follow).

Absolutely, although in the case of this thread, being forced to choose gives more interesting responses (hopefully)

Guest teabag

u could have made the choices a bit better. e.g. just the choice of attacking midfielder  instead of Midfield Playmaker + Attacking Central Midfielder and also just centre back instead of the 2 other options

Think the single ost important postion for us at is DM, said this fo a while, the defence hasnt been protected as well as it was today, for the last 20 minutes when they wer bomarding us, the 3 in midfield protected the back 4 very very well.

Defensive Mid

Midfield Playmaker

Right Winger

Target Man Striker

I'd go with that, but I think we also need a really commanding centre back so I don't think four signings is enough, and I'm pretty sure we'll see more.

I think this 4 players thing is bollocks.

I reckon he'll be after 4-5 immediate first team players and another 2-3 first team squad players. Then there's the possibility of having to replace players who will be shipped out (and let's be honest there's quite a few of them). We could be looking at a very busy summer.

I reckon he'll be looking to ship out:

Carr

Cacapa

Duff

Geremi

Ameobi

Smith or Viduka