Europe.... apparently?

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

Just found this on the 606 message boards. Don't know how true it is.

"I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but amazingly despite their poor season Newcastle can still qualify for the Uefa Cup next season- via the fair play league.

Three places are available across Europe-one is automatic and two by random lot. The automatic place is given to the country with the best disciplinary record (currently England-amazingly) and the other 2 randomly selected amongst other countries. Newcastle are 5th in the Premier League Fair Play table- behind 3 teams that are probably going to qualify for Europe through the league- Man Utd, Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham (Carling Cup Winners). Provided they can stay ahead of Man City in the disciplinary table, by my reckoning they have a very real chance of qualifying for Europe. The season's not over yet, every cloud has a silver lining..."

Guest teabag

would be perfect for next season as if keegan is going to spend big being in europe will help him get the better players here

Would be crazy to get into Europe after the season we've had, but certainly wouldn't say no to it.

Well, at least we know what we have to do if we want to stay up on the disciplinary table. No Alam Smith!  O0

Guest teabag

Would be crazy to get into Europe after the season we've had, but certainly wouldn't say no to it.

Well, at least we know what we have to do if we want to stay up on the disciplinary table. No Alam Smith!  O0

alan smith aswel

That's how we got into the Intertoto when we lost to Troyes in the final, isn't it?

Nah, was even more obscure then. :lol:

Pretty sure we got in that year because Malaga withdrew from it, and Spain didn't have anyone else who entered, so it went down to the next league with the highest UEFA Cup co-efficient, which was England, so we got in even though Aston Villa were our entrant. :lol:

alan smith aswel

If you think Alan is bad, wait till you meet his evil twin brother Alam  :rolleyes:

Someone qualified this way the other year didn't they?

Man City did it (under Keegan :laugh:) in 2002/2003. They finished 9th that year.

Aye I thought Man City had done it one year, I've just been googling it.

That's how we got into the Intertoto when we lost to Troyes in the final, isn't it?

Pretty sure we got in that year because Malaga withdrew from it, and Spain didn't have anyone else who entered, so it went down to the next league with the highest UEFA Cup co-efficient, which was England, so we got in even though Aston Villa were our entrant. :lol:

Aye, just Googled it, we were in the Fair Play draw that season and didn't get drawn, and you're right about Malaga withdrawing (fucking good memory!), but it was still to do with our Fair Play rating that we got the invite if the Northern Echo was right at the time:

THE back door to Europe which had opened so invitingly for Newcastle through the Fair Play League was emphatically slammed in their faces by a classier Troyes side at St James' Park last night, the French team claiming one of the three remaining UEFA Cup places with an impressive InterToto performance.

Have some of that, Madras.

Newcastle are 5th in the Premier League Fair Play table

Is this not where it falls down a bit?

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

:lol:  That didn't last long.

I didn't think we could be high given we have two of the league's worst offenders in Smith and Butt.

I deleted the post when I noticed it's in order of averages rather than total score. ???

Newcastle are 5th in the Premier League Fair Play table

Is this not where it falls down a bit?

http://www.premierleague.com/page/FairPlayTable/0,,12306,00.html

:lol:  That didn't last long.

I didn't think we could be high given we have two of the league's worst offenders in Smith and Butt.

That is still outdated by 5 rounds, don't think it has changed that much since then though :p

Aye, just Googled it, we were in the Fair Play draw that season and didn't get drawn, and you're right about Malaga withdrawing (f****** good memory!), but it was still to do with our Fair Play rating that we got the invite if the Northern Echo was right at the time:

THE back door to Europe which had opened so invitingly for Newcastle through the Fair Play League was emphatically slammed in their faces by a classier Troyes side at St James' Park last night, the French team claiming one of the three remaining UEFA Cup places with an impressive InterToto performance.

Have some of that, Madras.

I am justifiably chastised.