Laurent Robert to Toronto FC

thewellander

Apparently Laurent Robert is in Toronto to finalize a move to the MLS. This is my hometown team, so I'm curious to know what people here think about this move. The fans in Toronto seem pretty happy about the possibility. Do you think he'll do well playing 'soccer' in Canada?

Guest battyleespeed

Strange how badly he has faded out. I always thought he is one of those players who are fitness freaks and will go on to play until late 30s (like Gary Speed etc.). Still only 32 like.

Strange how badly he has faded out. I always thought he is one of those players who are fitness freaks and will go on to play until late 30s (like Gary Speed etc.). Still only 32 like.

Hmm how often do you get a winger or a player who has a lot of pace going til late 30s?

He used to be great to watch though.

He was unlucky to have run into Souness at the wrong end of his career, unlike Dunn & Bellamy who have both picked up the pieces of their once shattered reputations as players because the latter two in the end had time on their side in terms of finding 1. a club which is going somewhere and 2. a manager who simply believed in them as footballers while appreciating that they didn't fit the embodiment of what a perfect player is.

Can certainly take a while for a player to regenerate a shattered reputation, as a player that is, when a manager speaks ill of their footballing ability via the press at every given opportunity, and all the while shooting two birds with one stone by painting them to be a 'cancer within the dressing room'. It's a tough ask to come back from that, especially for a player approaching the twighlight stages of his career.

It's a shame Robert, like Bellamy & Dunn respectively, didn't have the same time at his disposal. As a player, ability-wise, and as a person who genuinely had a love for the club - and foreigners like that are hard to come by where Newcastle United are concerned - it was appropriate that he served out his career here..... depending on form & injuries or simply being overtaken by emerging talent of course.

What for he did for this club, Robert didn't deserve to run into the shitebag that was Souness and the aforementioned manager's warped ideology of what constitutes a 'proper player'.

Guest teepee

used to be a good player - but is way too lazy, for any league imo. i seriously doubt he will make  a difference, even in toronto.

still has a cracking left peg on him though...... and i do like him, brought a bit of spark to the side, so i hope he does put in a good season or two with you!

Good, he can add another team to the list of who he's been s**** for.

In his prime, before running into Souness, a decent percentage of PSG followers, and a fair degree of our supporters in particular would disagree with your blanket assessment/throw-away remark.

Some people just can't get over having seen that 'good bloke's' - aka. Souness - ego rubbed up the wrong way.

What next....................... too many off-target long distance shots, or how about having too many corners getting past the near-post defenders. Of course the same player's productivity - ie. goals & assists - over the long haul suggests otherwise, especially during his career here.

Not really arsed about Souness and what went on, the truth is that he has been crap and basically unheard of since he left.

Portsmouth, Benfica, Levante, Derby. (3 goals)

Quite possibly it was the right time for him to leave, looking back.

Is this an April Fool? Even when he was on-form under Robson he only played in 'bursts' as it were. Not sure if he was a lazy so-and-so, not a natural athlete or a combination of both but fitness freak?