Joey Barton gets six months in jail - See page 4

morgs
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest michaelfoster

Sacking him is just silly IMO.

Surely if you did what Joey Barton did and got sent to prison, your work would probably sack you?

Why should he be any different?

Sections of a character reference from Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan were read to the court by Stuart Driver QC, mitigating.

Keegan said he first knew the player when he was Manchester City manager.

He said of that period: "There were a number of issues in his life and events, some of which have been very well documented.

"Had I been asked to give character evidence for him then, I probably wouldn't have been able to do so."

He added that since then he had seen a "massive change" in Barton and that he was now "a far more responsible individual".

Guest alex

The taxi business was well over a year ago, i think it's fair to say that's no longer a concern.

It's what's been mentioned in reference to the other offence he was on bail for in the reports today. You would have thought that would have been sorted by now though but even if it has been it might not have been when this offence took place.

Guest alex

Sacking him is just silly IMO.

Surely if you did what Joey Barton did and got sent to prison, your work would probably sack you?

It's the same for everyone in that both organisations would act in their best interests.

Won't the club have a plan? Like scenario 1 - if he gets put away we do/say this and scenario 2 if he doesn't we do/say this?

I can't believe anyone thought he would escape the clink - he's got too much previous and they want to make an example of him.

Sack him. How many chances has he gotten in his career and how many has he blown? He talks the talks but doesn't walk the walk. There's a pretty big chance, imo, that if he gets out, he'll do something stupid that'll land him in trouble again and thus, we'd be better off just sacking him.

Going to prison is not a reason to sack anybody.

Guest birdhunter

He should be dropped. Even if he returns big chance he will mess up again. Don't know how but get rid off him..  "buy Smith for 6m get Barton free"

Sack him. How many chances has he gotten in his career and how many has he blown? He talks the talks but doesn't walk the walk. There's a pretty big chance, imo, that if he gets out, he'll do something stupid that'll land him in trouble again and thus, we'd be better off just sacking him.

Odds are that this is ultimataly going to be right.

Some people I know have sold horses to Barton, they say he's a perfectly lovely and mannerly fella when you're dealing with him and all is going well. Also does a lot of charity work and works with kids as well as far as I know.

But then you see these things that he does and it's obvious that there's just something not right with him mentally. If he were just a scumbag then you'd have more hope for him, because there'd be the chance that it would just dawn on him that he's going to lose his career if he doesn't stop being a prick.

But with Barton it seems that there's just this switch that gets flicked, something he can't control no matter how much he wants to.

Odds are that if we keep him he'll keep his head down and his nose clean for a long while and then, one day, out of seemingly nowhere, what would end up being a harmless altercation with some randomer for most of us will end up with Barton curb-stomping an elderly woman in front of several shocked onlookers.

Feel for him, in a way, because I think there's something wrong with him. He needs therapy, like.

If he's found guilty of the Dabo thing, his legal team will argue that he's learnt his lesson from his current spell inside and that further imprisonment will not only affect his career but also be a waste of taxpayers money. Plus, the Dabo case precedes the offences for which he's just been locked up, and as they're similar offences(violence), they'll argue that had he been sentenced on both offences at once, he'd likely receive the same sentence as he has now on one set of charges.

He'll more than likely receive a token punishment for that, or a whopping load of community service. 

Going to prison is not a reason to sack anybody.

Not sure quite what that means, going to jail is a very good reason to sack someone -  if I was sent to jail I would be sacked under gross misconduct, to be honest, I'd be sacked just for getting charged.

Going to prison would not be a good reason to sack someone. Committing the crime would be the reason for sacking someone and the fact that he's been proved to be guilty (and thus sent to prison) is why he should be sacked. The prison sentence is just confirmation of the fact that he did actually commit the crime.

I'd love our billionaire owner to fuck Barton right off but he's a successful businessman, and he knows that Barton's still an asset worth some cash, so I think we'll see Barton in a black and white shirt again.

We f***ing knew what he was like when we signed him, he was still waiting for charge on the Dabo incident for one. The club are hypocrites if they cancel his contract now, they need to stick by him IMO.

Do I still want him here? I dunno.

No need to rush to judgement on this.  This should be taken as a rational decision, primarily based on how the rest of our transfer season goes.  If we can find suitable replacements then, by all means proceed with getting rid.....if not then hold on to him.

I actually think this is a good thing for the Club (in a painful sort of way) in that they will be forced to bring in additional replacements to cover for him.  Then if he gets out early we have an additional player, but if he stays in, then they will have had to find a replacement for him.

I'd like to see him stay at the club.  What he did is wrong, the punishment is evidence enough of that, but I'd rather the club not write off a £5m investment... there looks to be a general belt tightening procedure going on round here, and it would be upsetting if we missed out on a player of quality because we'd had to account for writing Barton off in the books...

If you or I were sent down, chances are we'd lose our jobs, but Barton isn't you or me, he's a walking, (scouse) talking, (occasionally) punching £5,000,000 asset.  

That's not to say there aren't limits, there clearly have to be, but it's my opinion that he hasn't yet breached them... one more offense and sure, he's out, but not yet.

We f***ing knew what he was like when we signed him, he was still waiting for charge on the Dabo incident for one. The club are hypocrites if they cancel his contract now, they need to stick by him IMO.

I don't think the Dabo thing can be applied here. Ok, the club knew about the Dabo thing but they signed him based on the assumption that whatever he did/whoever he was, was in the past, and that he would be 'better' (for a lack of a better word) now.

He hasn't. They won't be hypocrites if they sack him now because they're sacking him for something they couldn't have reasonably predicted.

I want him gone.

Not sure quite what that means, going to jail is a very good reason to sack someone -  if I was sent to jail I would be sacked under gross misconduct, to be honest, I'd be sacked just for getting charged.

OK, my answer was too simplistic, you can get the sack for certain crimes and from certain jobs.  A footballer could get sacked for taking drugs or match fixing for instance but I can't think of many other reasons.

What do you do?

Shepherd and Allardyce signed him.