Joey Barton gets six months in jail - See page 4

morgs
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As a club what would we gain by cancelling his contract? Who does that hurt; not Barton that's for sure. Better that we don't pay him while he's in jail & try & re-educate him out of it.

I'm not familiar with the English Justice system, but it seems when someone "famous" or high profile gets sentenced to jail time here in the states they only end up serve a fraction of the time.  Like I think Paris Hilton was sentenced to 2 months and ended up serving 3 or 4 days if that.  Is Barton going to be serving the full 6 months?

As a club what would we gain by cancelling his contract? Who does that hurt; not Barton that's for sure. Better that we don't pay him while he's in jail & try & re-educate him out of it.

I don't know. If he performed well and it was something I thought he could change in himself, I'd say keep him. But he hasn't performed and so it would be preferable not to lose any more money on him, if that is possible.

Surely there are grounds for sacking him if the club decide to go down this route ?

Guest neesy111

so how many chances does he get, if you say don't cancel his contract when do you draw the line?

Guest neesy111

I don't know. If he performed well and it was something I thought he could change in himself, I'd say keep him. But he hasn't performed and so it would be preferable not to lose any more money on him, if that is possible.

Surely there are grounds for sacking him if the club decide to go down this route ?

the club can sack him and he won't get his contract back,  he can't turn up 4 work 4 starters which is sackable in itself

Barton will likely serve around half his sentence but he has potential for 2 years or so should he go done  on the other charge.

We've got him so we should try & reform him. We should also be actively trying to do something for Gazza as well.

I'm not familiar with the English Justice system, but it seems when someone "famous" or high profile gets sentenced to jail time here in the states they only end up serve a fraction of the time.  Like I think Paris Hilton was sentenced to 2 months and ended up serving 3 or 4 days if that.  Is Barton going to be serving the full 6 months?

If he behaves himself, he'll be able to apply for parole at the halfway stage. Being a footballer won't get him any special treatment before that though. Depends what happens in his trial too of course.

the club can sack him and he won't get his contract back,  he can't turn up 4 work 4 starters which is sackable in itself

Looks like they have a decision to make then

If this was any other member of the public, I'd be hoping he wasn't allowed out. I'd view this cunt as scum, wouldn't want him near any decent member of society, and would ask for him to be shot. It's a tricky one given his ties to us, and I have to agree with those that say we need to stick by and make something of him.

We got him knowing his history and character, dumping him now would be pretty reckless as a club if you ask me. Allardyce may have chose him, Ashley and Mort sanctioned it. I believe that's right, yeah?

Guest shearer_united

It was obvious that he was going to jail - though i had my hopes up.

He's a very good player in terms of skills, but he's also a bad person.

If this was any other member of the public, I'd be hoping he wasn't allowed out.  I'd view this cunt as scum, wouldn't want him near any decent member of society, and would ask for him to be shot.  It's a tricky one given his ties to us, and I have to agree with those that say we need to stick by and make something of him. 

We got him knowing his history and character, dumping him now would be pretty reckless as a club if you ask me.  Allardyce may have chose him, Ashley and Mort sanctioned it.  I believe that's right, yeah?

Fair points.

I agree with your view that if he wasn't a footballer playing for Newcastle I'd be happy to see him flogged etc [in a thrashing sense.......]

If this was any other member of the public, I'd be hoping he wasn't allowed out.  I'd view this cunt as scum, wouldn't want him near any decent member of society, and would ask for him to be shot.  It's a tricky one given his ties to us, and I have to agree with those that say we need to stick by and make something of him. 

We got him knowing his history and character, dumping him now would be pretty reckless as a club if you ask me.  Allardyce may have chose him, Ashley and Mort sanctioned it.  I believe that's right, yeah?

His transfer pretty much went through right in the middle of the takeover. Shepherd agreed to sell his shares on the 7th June after Barton had a medical on the 5th.

Guest Redcar Mag

Hasn't his nan got cancer? If she dies whilst he's inside that could really tip him over the edge.

Apart from the obvious ugly incidents which Barton keeps getting himself involved in, the fact that he had drunk 10 pints plus another 5 bottles of alcohol on the night says a lot in itself. No wonder the dope has looked lethargic this season. I would cut our losses tbh. We might lose any future transfer fee but we would save a fair bit on his wages. I can only see him going downhill like Gazza because he's obviously deranged.

His transfer pretty much went through right in the middle of the takeover. Shepherd agreed to sell his shares on the 7th June after Barton had a medical on the 5th.

Gotcha. :thup:

Barton is an underrated footballer who has only recently reached 50% of the form that he's capable of. He's a good player with good talent, all we've seen is an average player with flashes of decent play. There are plenty of central midfielders in the Premiership who lack the ability or the confidence to pass forwards - Barton is not one of them, and I like that about him.

Keep him, stick by him. If he steps out of line one more time, then cut lose, because if a few months in jail doesnt make him realise how lucky he is to be a professional footballer playing for our club, than nothing will. Hopefully he'll come out of this a better person.

The jail term isnt a massive deal from a footballing point of view. At most, he'll miss the first 3 or so months of the new season, which is merely a typical moderately lengthy pre-season injury that plenty of players pick up. The trouble is, he'll have missed pre season yet again, which was probably the reason for his overall poor form this season just gone for us, but if he comes back the same player as he has been under Keegan, then I'll have no complaints.

Guest shearer_united

I think that if the club release him, it will be bad for the club's reputation - people might say that the club is unforgiving and unhelpful to its' players.

I think that if the club release him, it will be bad for the club's reputation - people might say that the club is unforgiving and unhelpful to its' players.

Not at all the lad has been a disgrace of the field if anything it gives us a better image

Guest Redcar Mag

Whereas having a criminal and convicted thug on the books, and paying him handsomely will do wonders for our reputation.

Guest shearer_united

Not at all the lad has been a disgrace of the field if anything it gives us a better image

I agree on that too, he hasn't done much for the club either.