The NUFC section "own up" thread...........

madras

I'm surprised we haven't seen a few more people saying how wrong they were to question Keegan or wrong when calling for his head, I guess it didn't happen.   :dontknow:

To own up to such a thing would not only be seriously embarrassing for the individuals concerned, but would show them to have a distinct lack of understanding of this club and it's relationship with Kevin Keegan.

Perhaps someone could do a search of the forum and name and shame the worst culprits.  >:D

To own up to such a thing would not only be seriously embarrassing for the individuals concerned, but would show them to have a distinct lack of understanding of this club and it's relationship with Kevin Keegan.

Perhaps someone could do a search of the forum and name and shame the worst culprits.  >:D

:nope:

I've had too much to drink to even think about doing that.   :lol:

I'm surprised we haven't seen a few more people saying how wrong they were to question Keegan or wrong when calling for his head, I guess it didn't happen.  :dontknow:

I've been following the club since 1994, and I questioned the re-appointment of Keegan.

And I have to say, I've never, ever, in my life, been happier to be proven wrong. :)

As for not understanding the club, I suggest you actually understand the context of Keegan's re-appointment: for once we wanted to take the club in a different direction, and not have our board keep making decisions to appease disgruntled fans and ride the wave of nostalgia that the media keeps associating with us at the drop of a hat.

Get off the high horse, Sir. Everyone's got a reason. At the end of the day we just want what's best for this club. And if it's in the form of the Messiah himself, what better way to do so?

:)

I've been following the club since 1994, and I questioned the re-appointment of Keegan.

And I have to say, I've never, ever, in my life, been happier to be proven wrong. :)

As for not understanding the club, I suggest you actually understand the context of Keegan's re-appointment: for once we wanted to take the club in a different direction, and not have our board keep making decisions to appease disgruntled fans and ride the wave of nostalgia that the media keeps associating with us at the drop of a hat.

Get off the high horse, Sir. Everyone's got a reason. At the end of the day we just want what's best for this club. And if it's in the form of the Messiah himself, what better way to do so?

:)

Did the board try to appease disgruntled fans?  Very few were wanting Keegan and I'm one of those who hadn't even thought of him as a possible new manager.

If they were trying to do that then Shearer or a foreign manager would have got the job as that was what most people wanted or at least in the case of Shearer, it was what the media was saying we wanted.

- I thought Sam would sort us out and that we should have persevered with him, don't know if that was right or wrong, but I'm not to fussed any more.

- I had serious doubts about Keegan's return, not sure if they've totally gone yet either, but again I'm ok with it at the moment.

- I was really hoping that Owen would be sold as I was totally sick of all the sideshow stuff that comes along with him and thought it was really bad for the club, once more I'm not entirely sure we've heard the last of that, but things are moving in the right direction now.

- I thought Bramble would turn the corner if given decent coaching.

- I thought similar about Shola.

There's undoubtedly a whole load more, but in other news:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48824.msg1199198#msg1199198

:p

I was initially very sceptical and disappointed about Keegan coming back, however much I love the bloke.

Delighted to see the beginning of that being proved completely unfounded. :D

I was initially very sceptical and disappointed about Keegan coming back, however much I love the bloke.

Delighted to see the beginning of that being proved completely unfounded. :D

Yeah. Thats the same as me. My doubts were based around my sense that you should never go back.

Was also 100% convinced that we were getting relegated. Fate/luck seemed to be conspiring against us and had me convinced.

Guest optimistic nit

i wrote off owen.

i was and am also very sceptical about keegan, but i'm going to wait until next april  before deciding whether i am right or wrong.

i did think he was an idiot for coming back and that this was only going to end badly and he had lost it though. didn't call for his head though.

Having doubts about Keegan was an entirely sensible position IMO. We'd gone 8 games without a win, and he hadn't shown any signs of the imagination needed to make changes and turn things around. Credit to him, he then hit on a new formation that's got us moving back up again, but it's all had a bit of a trial and error feel to it. He's also had the advantage of a relatively injury-free squad. Previous managers haven't been quite as lucky.

Having doubts about Keegan was an entirely sensible position IMO. We'd gone 8 games without a win, and he hadn't shown any signs of the imagination needed to make changes and turn things around. Credit to him, he then hit on a new formation that's got us moving back up again, but it's all had a bit of a trial and error feel to it. He's also had the advantage of a relatively injury-free squad. Previous managers haven't been quite as lucky.

A little irony in being wrong and not seeing it in an admit you're wrong thread.

Guest optimistic nit

A little irony in being wrong and not seeing it in an admit you're wrong thread.

:lol:

i dont see doubting keegan as being a big blunder though, given the context of his appointment, i would say it is very lucky that we may possably be wrong, whereas writing off owen was stupid and naive and i'm perfectly happy to admit it.

Guest Phil K

i dont see doubting keegan as being a big blunder though, given the context of his appointment, i would say it is very lucky that we may possably be wrong, whereas writing off owen was stupid and naive and i'm perfectly happy to admit it.

I agree. I had major doubts because I didn't want to be disappointed both for us, and him.

I'm ecstatic he seems to be getting it right. And further delighted he's getting full praise for it - but even more - than the lousy turds of the rags and BBC and radio are having to put on hold all the joyous attacks on us and KK. Hopefully for GOOD.

There'll STILL be petulant attacks, of course. There always will be. We aren't Man U or Liverpool or Arsenal - therefore shouldn't be doing well, say the media.

Only a monumental IDIOT would want to start a pathetic witch-hunt and cause bad feeling when finally we all seem to be pulling together.

Well I never doubted him.

Remembered one though.

I said Allardyce was spot on not rushing Enrique.  We'd spoiled too many expensive signings by pushing them in when not quite ready.

Utter bollocks, you don't get used to the pace of the game on the bench or in training.  N'zogbia for fucks sake.  :rolleyes:

Guest optimistic nit

Well I never doubted him.

Remembered one though.

I said Allardyce was spot on not rushing Enrique.  We'd spoiled too many expensive signings by pushing them in when not quite ready.

Utter bollocks, you don't get used to the pace of the game on the bench or in training.  N'zogbia for fucks sake.  :rolleyes:

i still dont think you should rush players myself, but allardyce was the other end of the extreme of thowing them in from the off. he never bloody played him.

Keegan had to do trial and error because he came in during the season and hadn't worked with the players before, he could only watch players in training and then pick them with the hope that they would transfer that into the game.  As for going 8 games without a win, he took over a losing team and had a nightmare set of games as a baptism, some couldn't see past that, others could.

I agree. I had major doubts because I didn't want to be disappointed both for us, and him.

I'm ecstatic he seems to be getting it right. And further delighted he's getting full praise for it - but even more - than the lousy turds of the rags and BBC and radio are having to put on hold all the joyous attacks on us and KK. Hopefully for GOOD.

There'll STILL be petulant attacks, of course. There always will be. We aren't Man U or Liverpool or Arsenal - therefore shouldn't be doing well, say the media.

Only a monumental IDIOT would want to start a pathetic witch-hunt and cause bad feeling when finally we all seem to be pulling together.

That's not me you've quoted.   :coolsmiley:

About the "monumental IDIOT" comment, the same could be said about those fickle fans who had a go at Keegan during the run of games he had to contend with while not knowing what the players were capable of producing.  Keegan had the same players who lost to Derby yet Keegan was a mistake because he couldn't guide them to beat Man U twice, Arsenal twice, Villa, Blackburn or Liverpool.  :rolleyes: 

Only an IDIOT would manage to alter my name whilst doing something as simple as hitting the quote button.  :laugh:

I still dont think its wrong to doubt Keegan, to be honest, whilst im extremely happy to have him in charge of the transfer budget this summer, im still ready to admit that im a little worried about pre season and keegans effectiveness for next season.

Im citing Roeder's honeymoon period and subsequent insipd season as an example of where my concerns lie.

To be honest i think it's very naive to think that Keegan will be a resounding success after 10 games or so, if so many people had no doubts about Keegans ability then why wasnt he the outstanding choice for appointment on this board post Allardyce?

Keegan had to do trial and error because he came in during the season and hadn't worked with the players before, he could only watch players in training and then pick them with the hope that they would transfer that into the game.  As for going 8 games without a win, he took over a losing team and had a nightmare set of games as a baptism, some couldn't see past that, others could.

Got to agree with this. He was already getting some incredibly vile and venomous criticism from those porporting to be Journalists, to see some of it also come from a few NUFC fans was just disgusting as far as I was concerned.

Before he had even said yes to coming back KK had earned the right to expect that the fans show him some patience, here's a man who clearly loves this club and would always look out for it's best interest, if history had taught us anything, showing loyalty to managers of proven predigree is an absolute no brainer.

I have been wrong about countless things as far as NUFC is concerned but I nvever once doubted KK's appointment, even if we had went down he would have retained my support. I was just so happy to see the man back 'home' where he belongs.