Harper or Given?

Rocker
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:lol:

Strong reply, you've spent far too much time arguing with NE5, its puddling your brain.  O0

:lol:

Oh dear.

Is this where i do this?

mackems.gif

I'm new at this, bare with me.  :laugh:

the difference isnt minimal. given at his best is streets ahead of harper.

harper played 26 times iirc in one season ronaldo, and thats it. hardly for the most part. and also back then shay given was mistake prone, which may have been part of the reason.

Given at his best isn't streets ahead of Harper at his best, the difference is minimal and they both have strengths and weaknesses.  Given has had one good game, let's see him do it week after week.

harper played 26 times iirc in one season ronaldo, and thats it. hardly for the most part. and also back then shay given was mistake prone, which may have been part of the reason.

Given at his best isn't streets ahead of Harper at his best, the difference is minimal and they both have strengths and weaknesses.  Given has had one good game, let's see him do it week after week.

He's done it year after year, Harper has done it once week after week.

Given all day anyday.

Never had any other opinion, the guy is in a different league to Harper, only Given on his worst form can compare to Harper on his best.

madness, very harsh on Harper

Harper is an average goalkeeper who hit some form for once in his life while Given was suffering the worst period of his career. I'm glad we got both, but i wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold Harper.

for once in his life?

so 1998-2000 doesn't count where he was for the most part first choice ahead of Shay

I thought he was utter shite then, much better now, but every dog has its day.

Given's form was horrendous last season and the season before. It'll take more than one good game to make me think he's 'back to his best'

Harper hasn't had the chance year after year, that's not his fault and it hasn't always been down to form either.

Given all day anyday.

Never had any other opinion, the guy is in a different league to Harper, only Given on his worst form can compare to Harper on his best.

madness, very harsh on Harper

Harper is an average goalkeeper who hit some form for once in his life while Given was suffering the worst period of his career. I'm glad we got both, but i wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold Harper.

for once in his life?

so 1998-2000 doesn't count where he was for the most part first choice ahead of Shay

I thought he was utter s**** then, much better now, but every dog has its day.

utter shite? give me one mistake Harper made in that entire period, please

Harper hasn't had the chance year after year, that's not his fault and it hasn't always been down to form either.

No its been down to him being shit.

Not saying he's shit now, just average.

No its been down to him being s***.

Not saying he's s*** now, just average.

Harper hasn't been shit, he's had his faults but he's rarely had a run of games to prove what he can do.

Anyone who thinks Harper is anywhere near Given needs their head checked

Given has been a very good keeper for us, I don't think anybody would doubt that, Harper rarely gets a chance to prove how good he is but when he's been given a run of games he's played well.

Guest Geordiesned

Given's form was horrendous last season and the season before. It'll take more than one good game to make me think he's 'back to his best'

Was it shite.

Was it s****.

Yes it was shite.

Hopefully the knee jerkers are right, he wouldn't have got down to that low save last season I'm pretty sure of that.

Distribution was still woeful like.

Guest Geordiesned

Was it s****.

Yes it was shite.

Hopefully the knee jerkers are right, he wouldn't have got down to that low save last season I'm pretty sure of that.

Distribution was still woeful like.

Sorry but anyone who thinks Given's form was "horrendous" is a clown. Yes his form dipped but to describe it as horrendous is fucking ridiculous.

Furthermore, I've never quite understood how people can criticise Given's distribution and yet ignore the fact that a quite a lot of Harper's kicks end up in the stand.

For the record, I rate both Given and Harper but feel that Given is ahead as his kicking is much better than Harpers and he can handle a back pass better.

Agree with Sned, tbh.

Surely the fact that Given has been 1st choice for every manager we've had since Gullit says enough... although I do appreciate we've had a duff gaffer or two in that time.

Given is a better quality keeper, no doubt. In terms of shot stopping Given is one of the best in the business and his throwing is excellent. Surprisingly, Given is handy for counter-attacking as he distributes it quickly down the flanks whereas Harper takes an age which can kill a move. Harper is a decent keeper but Given has saved our bacon more times than I can remember over the years and 7 seasons of consistently being number one over your rival doesn't count for nothing. We are lucky in this department, but a fit and well Given is my pick any day of the week.

Guest Jungle Barry

Shay Given everytime for me fitness permitting like

And i'd have said that before yesterdays heroics as well

Given was back to his usual self yesterday. Harper has probably had a major part in Given upping his game. Either that or Given's just finally gotten over his injuries.

My only gripe with Given yesterday (and this is something I dunno if he will ever change) was that we were trying to build on our play and retain posession and when the ball was played back to Given, he just kicked it up field and the posession just went straight back to the opposition.