Beye today...

Willow

Hand on heart, I would replace him with someone like Chimbonda if we had the chance.

He's obviously a good player, but theres just something about him that I cant put my finger on, something that makes him seem like an unnatural right back. Maybe its the way he defends with a strange start position that gives the winger more room, which might explain why he makes so many recovery tackles. Does the job most of the time, but I get the feeling he's gone largely unpunished so far. Not wanting to have a harsh opinion on a good player, but he leaves alot of room for the cross to come in imo.

Again, good player, but uncomfortably so. Strange.

his final ball into the box on monday was atrocious, on 3 or 4 occasions he got himself into wonderful positions and sent in embarrasing crosses, pull-backs or shots. something for him to work on.

Hand on heart, I would replace him with someone like Chimbonda if we had the chance.

He's obviously a good player, but theres just something about him that I cant put my finger on, something that makes him seem like an unnatural right back. Maybe its the way he defends with a strange start position that gives the winger more room, which might explain why he makes so many recovery tackles. Does the job most of the time, but I get the feeling he's gone largely unpunished so far. Not wanting to have a harsh opinion on a good player, but he leaves alot of room for the cross to come in imo.

Again, good player, but uncomfortably so. Strange.

got yo take issue with you on that mate. i haven't seen many get round him and  i'd certain;y prefer beye ove chimbonda whos looked poor when ever i've watched him (apart from the game for wigan when he went centre half....even then he only done well as someone playing ouy of position)

Guest rebel_yell12

his final ball into the box on monday was atrocious, on 3 or 4 occasions he got himself into wonderful positions and sent in embarrasing crosses, pull-backs or shots. something for him to work on.

Aye, but then he's had some matches where he's been brilliant at this.  Perhaps he just had an off match?  He's hardly been as consistently weak at this as say, Geremi has been with deadballs/freekicks or Smith has been all-around, so I find it hard to say if this is really something he needs to work on, or if he merely had one relatively bad match. 

Guest optimistic nit

I keep telling you....Beye's best position is at CB!

and i keep telling you, you're a fucking idiot.

Guest alex

I think he could play at CB like. Regarding his being at RB his only slight weakness is in the final third. If he was better in that area though he'd be world class.

I think he could play at CB like. Regarding his being at RB his only slight weakness is in the final third. If he was better in that area though he'd be world class.

the first i saw of beye was when he played centre-half for Marseille, only later did he switch out to right-back. don't know which position he played in for strasbourg tho. he doesn't look like a 'natural' full-back in the final third, tbh, but as you say the rest of his game is top class. at centre-half there'd be a slight worry about his aerial ability, and also his tendency to stand off wingers, knowing they can't beat him for pace, you can't do that in the middle of the pitch.

Guest alex

the first i saw of beye was when he played centre-half for Marseille, only later did he switch out to right-back. don't know which position he played in for strasbourg tho. he doesn't look like a 'natural' full-back in the final third, tbh, but as you say the rest of his game is top class. at centre-half there'd be a slight worry about his aerial ability, and also his tendency to stand off wingers, knowing they can't beat him for pace, you can't do that in the middle of the pitch.

I think he'd need a 'big strong lad' alongside him if he played in the middle, for definite, with him playing more of the 'sweeper' role.

Guest alex

I've said for ages now that he reminds me of Distin in how he plays the game.

Could he form a partnership with Dunne as good as the one he and Distin had at City?

Don't see why not. I think you'd have to sign a very good RB to justify playing Beye in the middle though.

Guest alex

If Beye gets moved to centre half i will flip.

Regardless of how he performs there? Good one.

Hypothetically, if we moved Shearer to the right wing when he was in his prime would you have been happy (regardless of how well he played there)?

Don't fix it if it aint broken. I'm sure Beye would do a good job at centre half but he's doing an excellent job at right back and i don't want to re shuffle.

You may disagree but KK won't.

Guest alex

Hypothetically, if we moved Shearer to the right wing when he was in his prime would you have been happy (regardless of how well he played there)?

Don't fix it if it aint broken. I'm sure Beye would do a good job at centre half but he's doing an excellent job at right back and i don't want to re shuffle.

You may disagree but KK won't.

It's hardly the same thing though, is it? Shearer wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective there but Beye, imo, could be even more effective at centre-back. The best things about him are his defensive qualities, especially his pace and his reading of the game. I did say you'd need a very good RB and your reasoning for not moving him is sound. Unlike the last bit which is pure speculation.