Talks: Summer transfer forum proposal - from page 7

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure I like the current transfer thread to be honest, debates are about several things at the same time, and lots of repetition about things already posted both in the thread itself, and in other threads people-that-aren't-reading-a-131-page-thread started

No,  but more threads are needed.  Its a pain in the arse now having 1 thread per subject.  If theres genuine real development,  can we not have new threads?

Better off just having a mega transfer rumour thread whilst allowing seperate threads about specific links (with concrete sources and official quotes) to exist. If it doesnt have a concrete source and official quotes, then it goes into the mega thread.

There'll be little to talk about over the summer (NUFC related) other than transfer rumours, so other than dividing the forum up even more, there'll probably be more confusion as to what should go into a transfer section rather than the main footballing one (e.g. if a big name player does sign) than any potential benefits.

But then thats mainly down to browsing preferences. I've bookmarked the main football section and therefore as thats my first port of call, I would prefer everything related to NUFC and football in there for ease of access.

Better off just having a mega transfer rumour thread whilst allowing seperate threads about specific links (with concrete sources and official quotes) to exist. If it doesnt have a concrete source and official quotes, then it goes into the mega thread.

There'll be little to talk about over the summer (NUFC related) other than transfer rumours, so other than dividing the forum up even more, there'll probably be more confusion as to what should go into a transfer section rather than the main footballing one (e.g. if a big name player does sign) than any potential benefits.

But then thats mainly down to browsing preferences. I've bookmarked the main football section and therefore as thats my first port of call, I would prefer everything related to NUFC and football in there for ease of access.

That's pretty much my thinking too tbh. Not bothered either way though.

Today there's only been about a 3rd of the first page of the forum used by people posting in new threads. Everything below that hasn't been touched since yesterday.

As long as people are fairly sensible with the links they post, I don't see the need for the transfer forum, if us lot are moderating it enough then it wouldn't be too hard to keep a handle on.

It's not like the NUFC Forum is a hive of activity recently and it probably won't get any better over the summer. If it was filling up and filling up to the point where we had 100 threads every day (like some other football forums) and nobody could keep track of everything, then it'd be a bitch.

But if there's one dedicated thread for each player that we're linked to, it won't be too bad at all.

A mega thread would be a nightmare to keep up with and navigate and it'd be full of people asking "has n e thing happened yet!?!?!?!".

With the mega thread and other threads breaking off, it means that the same thing is just being talked about in multiple threads, which I find a bit annoying as I just end up repeating myself.

With the mega thread and other threads breaking off, it means that the same thing is just being talked about in multiple threads, which I find a bit annoying as I just end up repeating myself.

Aye, that's worse than anything. When there's debates about the same thing happening in 3 separate threads, sometimes means that good opportunites for discussion are lost as there'll be one person talking one point of view in one thread and someone else in another, without any crossover.

One thread for one rumour makes sense to me.

Aye, that's worse than anything. When there's debates about the same thing happening in 3 separate threads, sometimes means that good opportunites for discussion are lost as there'll be one person talking one point of view in one thread and someone else in another, without any crossover.

In that case, my view is to stick with one thread per player, and discouragement of lengthy discussion in the Realistic Transfer Targets thread about players with their own thread, someone (i.e. me) quoting posts from one thread into another to move the discussion if you get what I mean.

In that case, my view is to stick with one thread per player, and discouragement of lengthy discussion in the Realistic Transfer Targets thread about players with their own thread, someone (i.e. me) quoting posts from one thread into another to move the discussion if you get what I mean.

Aye, makes sense. But the silent majority have still voted for the forum.

I hate going through mega-threads, so a forum with a separate threads for each player we are linked with suits me much better.

I can see where James and Janitor are coming from, but I find it to be much more convenient to have several shorter threads.

I hate going through mega-threads, so a forum with a separate threads for each player we are linked with suits me much better.

I can see where James and Janitor are coming from, but I find it to be much more convenient to have several shorter threads.

Why not just separate threads in the football forum though, which is what I think we were getting at?

I dunno, I can see both points of view. It'll be fine either way. Just more clicking involved with the transfer forum for lazy buggers like me.

Perhaps putting something like this in a sticky could help?:

Transfer Speculation/Debate

The Completed Summer Transfers Thread’08

Realistic Summer Targets

Other Clubs’ Summer Targets

Edgar Davids

Amara Diane

Richard Dunne

Bafetimbi Gomis

Louis Saha

Mauro Zarate

Current Players/Staff

Habib Beye

Steve Harper

Charles N’Zogbia

Michael Owen

Alan Smith

The Board

Other Teams

Other

That looks like a bit of a ballache from the admin's point of view, that isn't worth it.

I don't see any major problems atm tbh. I'd personally prefer a transfer forum, because of that discussion problem, but it's hardly something worth getting bothered over. The poll would suggest that a new forum is more wanted, but it's barely a landslide victory so if it stays as it is it isn't a problem.

Meh.

Perhaps putting something like this in a sticky could help?:

Transfer Speculation/Debate

The Completed Summer Transfers Thread’08

Realistic Summer Targets

Other Clubs’ Summer Targets

Edgar Davids

Amara Diane

Richard Dunne

Bafetimbi Gomis

Louis Saha

Mauro Zarate

Current Players/Staff

Habib Beye

Steve Harper

Charles N’Zogbia

Michael Owen

Alan Smith

The Board

Other Teams

Other

When they're all about football, I don't see why they can't all go in the 'Football' forum? Or have I misunderstood? ???

Over-complicating things imo.

Aye, and the vast majority of the threads you'd put in that potential sticky would probably last about five minutes, like the Edgar Davids one.

None of this is worth it tbh. If admins think it best to make a new forum, go for it. If they don't, it's no more hassle. Surprised some people are giving this such a serious debate. :razz:  Megameh.