NUFC want to offer Owen new deal

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's adapted to it in 4 games, and has played very well. Why couldn't he play well in another formation?

Because this season he's been shite in Allardyce's 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and KK's 4-4-2. This is evidence from THIS season, not something like 5 years ago when he still had his legs.

Everyone was shite in Allardyce's 4-3-3. 4-2-2 and Keegan's 4-4-2.  I still think that Owen's (and most of the squad's) biggest problem was a lack of confidence.  Now the points and goals have started rolling in, I'm confident that he could slot straight back into a 4-4-2 if Keegan wanted.

Stupid basic maths time with silly assumed figures:

One year at £100k per week = £5,200,000

New contract = 4 years

Cost of new contract = 4 x £5,200,000

Cost of keeping Owen on a new contract = £20,800,000

Cost of replacing Owen = £12,000,000

One year at £75k per week = £3,900,000

Contract for new player = 4 years

Cost of new player's contract = 4 x £3,900,000

Deduct revenue from selling Owen = -£7,000,000

Cost of replacing Owen with expensive new player = £20,600,000

Yeah it's ultra-simplistic, but we might as well keep him, which ever way you look at it.

Errr.. Resale value of Michael Owen in 2012: 1M

Resale value of talented player deemed worth 12M in 2008 after 4 more years of development in 2012: ?

I´m off the opinion that there are players out there that would offer us more than Owen does at the moment and would make more sense economically as well. They represent slight gambles, and you don´t know whether they would come here unless you tried, but it´s not a given in my opinion that keeping an ageing and degressing player on over the top wages makes financial sense..

Guest exilim

Who is the most important player in this formation?          Again, I think most would say Owen.  Although Martins & Butt, especially, are very important as well.

I think it's hard to conclude on Newcastle's best striker too. Martins is equally as important as owen and also without Viduka, we might not hold up the ball that well with our two small strikers.

I like our current combination of strikers, Viduka being able to hold up the ball well plus his experience ; Martins providing pace to stretch the opponent's defence ; Owen's intelligent run and his prowler type of goals.

Well if a respected, successful and experienced professional really thinks this (especially under the assumption that he is very aware about Ashley's plans for the club):

There is no doubt Newcastle United are a great club and' date=' if I was honest, under Kevin they are probably the best bet to challenge the top four in the next couple of seasons.[/quote']

There is no reason why Owen would want to go elsewhere, and there is no reason that we can't get some top players in addition to Michael Owen.

New contract = 4 years

Yeah it's ultra-simplistic, but we might as well keep him, which ever way you look at it.

Resale value of talented player deemed worth 12M in 2008 after 4 more years of development in 2012: ?

I´m off the opinion that there are players out there that would offer us more than Owen does at the moment and would make more sense economically as well. They represent slight gambles, and you don´t know whether they would come here unless you tried, but it´s not a given in my opinion that keeping an ageing and degressing player on over the top wages makes financial sense..

That's fair enough but I don't really care about resale values; if they're doing the business why would we want to sell them? It's like saying 'let's replace Beye now because in three years time we won't be able to sell him for much' - who cares?

BTW £12m was a conservative estimate. Who would we get for that, Crouch?

Well if a respected, successful and experienced professional really thinks this (especially under the assumption that he is very aware about Ashley's plans for the club):

There is no doubt Newcastle United are a great club and' date=' if I was honest, under Kevin they are probably the best bet to challenge the top four in the next couple of seasons.[/quote']

There is no reason why Owen would want to go elsewhere, and there is no reason that we can't get some top players in addition to Michael Owen.

Tell that to the seemingly-endless brigade of the "He'll Never Come Here" types on this forum, whenever a good world class player is linked with us.

There are a lot of people with no vision and big inferiority complexes (sorry, "massive" inferiority complexes) who just cannot and will not believe (for reasons which escape me) that an 'Ashley / Mort / Keegan' future for us, should be so very much better than the (very recent) past.

Guest sicko2ndbest

New contract = 4 years

That's fair enough but I don't really care about resale values; if they're doing the business why would we want to sell them? It's like saying 'let's replace Beye now because in three years time we won't be able to sell him for much' - who cares?

Dave, that is conservative to try and keep the discussion going, i think both you and i know that Owens replacement would cost 20mil+, so i am definately in the KEEP camp.

Let's talk merchandising and the like as well.

Michael Owen will also sell you more shirts and other retail crap in the shops than a new, £12m signing is likely to for a few years.

To be honest, the economics of it all doesn't bother me. The fact we've got a genuine class act like him should be more than enough to want to keep him. Even if we could get £12m for him, it would be sickening watching him play the way he is now at someone like City, scoring goals for fun, and leading them up the league. Would much sooner see him doing it here in the next 2-3 years under Keegan.

New contract = 4 years

Dave, that is conservative to try and keep the discussion going, i think both you and i know that Owens replacement would cost 20mil+, so i am definately in the KEEP camp.

Jesus, I'm all for a bit reasoning and you know, disagreements don't need to be settled and all, but 20m?? Are you serious? Just think of what Owen actually offers us and see if whether that's worth 20m; it blatantly doesn't.

If the economics doesn't really matter then I think there are loads of strikers out there who can replace Owen on the field (i.e. footballing ability-wise).

New contract = 4 years

Jesus, I'm all for a bit reasoning and you know, disagreements don't need to be settled and all, but 20m?? Are you serious? Just think of what Owen actually offers us and see if whether that's worth 20m; it blatantly doesn't.

If the economics doesn't really matter then I think there are loads of strikers out there who can replace Owen on the field (i.e. footballing ability-wise).

The problem being is he would need to be a proven Premiership striker, as even paying over the odds for one of the best strikers in Europe (as Chelsea did) doesn't always work.

Who in the premiership could we sign who would be better than Owen in your opinion?

I don't think he'd need to be a proven Premiership striker at all. That's limiting our options for no reason. I think there are actually quite a few players better than Owen, and a good striker who can pass the ball will be able to fit into KK's team so I don't think Premiership-proven counts for, or should count for, much. I don't 'need' is the correct term here; there are countless examples of players coming from other countries and making an impact, and since I don't rate Owen that much, even the initial impact doesn't need to be overwhelming. I think this is a risk worth taking.

We just need to scout 'em properly so we don't end up with duds like Luque ;)

To be honest, the economics of it all doesn't bother me. The fact we've got a genuine class act like him should be more than enough to want to keep him. Even if we could get £12m for him, it would be sickening watching him play the way he is now at someone like City, scoring goals for fun, and leading them up the league. Would much sooner see him doing it here in the next 2-3 years under Keegan.

exactly

Some very positive quotes by Owen in todays NOTW.:thup: Not sure if its up online yet.

Michael Owen reveals true feeling for Newcastle

TOON FUTURE EXCITES ME

EXCLUSIVE by DAVID HARRISON

MICHAEL OWEN has discovered the real magic of Newcastle — and is moving towards a long and productive union between himself and the club.

It has taken three years for him to prove his worth and firmly establish himself as a favourite with the Toon Army.

Roy's Keane to spend big

Repeated injuries and sporadic form have enforced the feeling that Newcastle was just a convenient stopover for Owen between his move from Real Madrid in 2005 and a bigger Premier League club.

But in the last few weeks and a run of four goals in four games since being installed as club skipper by manager Kevin Keegan, he has helped turn Newcastle's season around and convinced the doubters that his heart is on Tyneside.

250michaelowenWith talks due in the next month over extending a contract which expires at the end of next season, Owen talks exclusively today about his future at the club.

Ambitions

And he admits he is genuinely excited about what could lie ahead for him at St. James' Park.

The Newcastle skipper said: "At the moment there is nothing on the table for me to consider so it is hard for me to come out and make a statement about my future. Discussions have not even started yet.

"But the manager called me into his office a week ago and told me about his plans for the future. He discussed the kind of players he wants to bring in and what ambitions he has for Newcastle United.

"I was really enthused by what he had to say. I think everyone connected with the club is looking forward to next season with a great sense of anticipation.

"You could not have said that earlier in the year when we went nine games without a win. Everyone was looking over their shoulders and fearing the worst.

"But we have managed to turn things around and we can now look ahead in the short term to finish in the top half of the table, and in the long-term to achieve some real success.

Convince

"These last few weeks have given me a real appreciation of what Newcastle United is all about. It has been my best spell since I arrived. This is why I signed for the club in the first place.

"It didn't matter how many times I denied that Newcastle was just a stopover for me. People didn't seem to want to believe me. The only way I really convince them was by doing it on the pitch and unfortunately my injuries got in the way.

"I hope the last few weeks have proved to people how committed I have been. I only wish it had been over a period of 30 to 40 games rather than half a dozen but there is a lot more to come."

Owen has also buried the argument that he did not get on with Keegan, having admitted in his autobiography that he did not enjoy his spell with him during his spell as England manager.

The Newcastle boss handed him the captain's armband and they have developed a relationship which has been the cornerstone of the team's recovery from the brink of relegation.

Owen has recognised the impact Keegan has started to have on the club and its supporters.

He said: "Only Kevin himself and our goalkeeper Steve Harper are still around from when Newcastle finished runners-up to Manchester United and they have told us how special those times were.

"We all want those days to come back only with some trophies to show for it this time. I have only had a taste of it on match days but have been assured I will never experience anything like it."

Responsibility

As well as making him his skipper, Keegan has given Owen a new role in his team-a more withdrawn position behind the main striker Mark Viduka.

Owen has thrived on it and enjoyed the extra responsibility of being a creator as well as a goal-scorer.

He does not see it as a permanent switch, merely as the chance to add an extra dimension to his game.

Owen said: "Ever since I was about seven years old I have been seen as an out-and-out striker and I think that's what I will always prefer. But this has enabled me to add another string to my bow and at the same time still get my share of goals.

"People have wondered whether it might help my chance of getting a regular England place. You would have to ask the manager that but I still think my best contribution to the national team is scoring goals.

"Besides there are other players like Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard who are well suited to that role."

Owen leads Newcastle into today's derby game against Sunderland knowing that there is little at stake other than local pride.

He said: "I suppose you could argue that Sunderland might still need another point or two to be safe but we are playing for the fans and their bragging rights.

"And of course it is another big occasion and the chance for everyone to see why this club is so special."

Guest johnson293

Sort it Morty asap.

Amen to that!

The possibility of another serious injury is a slight worry, simply because of the last 3 years experience.

But seeing a fit, confident Owen in a Keegan team - I think we have to try and keep him now, and pray that he can avoid the serious/longterm inuuries for the foreseeable.

Was very edgy in the interview. Still can't see him signing a new contract.

i just think we have to accept he's a bloke who won't give anything away, and sits on the fence, he's media trained to death.

he'll sign no doubt i reckon

i just think we have to accept he's a bloke who won't give anything away, and sits on the fence, he's media trained to death.

he'll sign no doubt i reckon

Like he did for Liverpool?

Guest sicko2ndbest

i thought that as well, but thinking about it he is not going to come out and say i would love to sign a new contract just in case Mort decides against it.

Guest johnson293

He's just a very cagey person - aint gonna show his hand this early and say he wants to stay.

I think I said it earlier in the thread, but the acid test will be if one of the top 4 come in for him - if not, he'll either stay for the last year, or sign an extension.

Just hope that Mort stands firm and refuses to include a fee based release clause, unless its to our benefit!