Priority position for the summer?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If, gun to your favourite George Michael CD*, you had to choose just one player to bring in over the summer, which position would it be  for?

[* - or something you care about  :blush: ;)]

Guest teepee

dcm for me - if we keep this formation i'd keep owen behind the front two

but closely followed by a acm - instead of barton

I'm torn between an attacking central midfielder who can thread incisive balls through for Martin/Owens and a right midfield so we have two devastating flanks of Enrique/Zog and Beye/xxxxxx.

Guest jcricthon

f****** hell lads has to be CB

we dont have one capable of getting us anywhere near the top 4

Here here

Someone genuinely creative in the midfield so we can go back to 4-4-2 with wingers and still have the same punch as before.  Could also use another RM/Winger to help push Milner to his best (although he does a damn good job without it already).

fucking hell lads has to be CB

we dont have one capable of getting us anywhere near the top 4

Also, how many midfielders do we have capable of this? More important position imo, and we lack even more there.

An attacking unit is useless without possession and the best player to retain possession is a DM, without a shoadow of a doubt the sinle most impotant player in the team. Also an attacking midfilder wont be very creative without any decent outlets so its important that the people n front of him are the good enough to find spaces, so we need a RW(dependingon formation) then a class AM.

Precisely, Mowen. We've got a better collection of defenders now than we did back then, too. A good centre-midfielder would improve the defense aswell, relieve some pressure. Midfield is the only thing holding us back now imo. Attacking centre-midfielder ftw. We don't have one.

I voted centre half but have easily gone for an AM.

I agree with Ronaldo that none of our current lot are top 4 quality, but it's an excellent point by Mowen that that hasn't hurt us in the past, Bramble, Dabizas and O'Brien not to mention Bernard, Griffen and Hughes on at full back. Makes you think doesn't it.

Its either a 100% DMC or a 100% AMC for me.

I went with AMC since we have nothing in that department.

We've got Butt, and you could possibly play Barton, Faye or Geremi  (all to some effect) there if needed, but there's nothing in the AMC role currently.

Guest Knightrider

A dynamic striker with strength, pace, athleticism and the ability to lead the line adeptly so that the team has a regular focal point up front in which to play up to and off.

1. AMC= Modric, Deco, Vaart

2. DMC= Diarra(either Pompey or RM), Diaby, Gilberto, Appiah

3. AMR= Lennon, SWP, Quaresma

4. DC= Metzelder, Brown, Ben Haim,

5. Talented youngsters

One player from each categorie would be great.

Realistic?

A dynamic striker with strength, pace, athleticism and the ability to lead the line adeptly so that the team has a regular focal point up front in which to play up to and off.

Drogba?

>:D

For me I still think mid to longish term (next 4 transfer windows say) we need a pretty big clearout or at least a fazing out of a lot of our squad.

The up turn in results and performances have of course been very satisfying  but Im not too convinced that all of this means that many of the the current players are still the ones to help turn us around.

There have been improvements in individuals performances and contributions (Butt, Barton etc) but Im  not fully convinced that this is enough to convince me of their long term worth to us. maybe Im being a bit negative but some have under performed for so long they have an awful lot of convincing still to do for me. :knuppel2:

Short term, the priorities  for me would be:

1. Central Midfield playmaker. We need creativity to open teams up. Deco?who knows. For me I think we will have more of a chance, be still an attractive option, for the likes of Deco, rather than an up and coming younger home based talent, like for example a Bentley.

Maybe a young foreign player playing in one of the lesser European leagues may still be attracted to us, but of course theres always the gamble factor in this as we all to well know, Vianna, ahem.

2. Centre Half. Preferably experienced and a talker/leader. Hopefully one would be enough? coupled with Faye, Taylor- who hopefully would benefit from having an experienced partner to learn from, Edgar, and maybe Cacapa?( though still think hes too slow, weak and old myself). Cuellar from the Gers would be worth a punt imo and I could see us definitley being an attractive option for him.

3. Wings. Both left and right sided players. We  could do with some pace and directness on both sides of midfield. Looks like Zog is gone, for whatever reason, wheter good or bad... and Duff simply hasnt been good enough to date so unless a major upturn in his output is witnessed I wouldnt shed a tear.

4. Defensive Midfielder. The upturn in Butt and Barton may be sustainable, who knows. Plus a Centre Half signing may free Faye up. If we had the finances to attract a better option as DM then I would still take it, though credit where its due, its not looking as much of a priority as it was due to the hard work and effort recently shown.

Who knows maybe the Keegan factor will still play large with some, maybe the big bucks of Mike will be splashed and be of sufficient supply to attract players we think are beyond us...Its gonna be interesting thats for sure. :razz: