How Keegan stole Distin from Newcastle

TRon

How did that happen? We were flying high in the Premier under Robson who had successfully signed Distin on loan for the season. He did well in his time here, although was played at left back too many times for my liking. Contract negotiations fell down to whichever imbecile in charge was conducting them, and King Kev stole a fine player from under our nose.

Distin might not be he best Centre back in the Premier league but I'd be interested to clarify who replaced him here and why?

Distin spent the 01/02 season here. Robson tried to sign him permanently but there was bother over his wages iirc.

Robson bought Bramble in the summer of 02. :hmm:

I wonder which thick, fat...person got us into that scenario considering Robson spotted and wanted to keep Distin far before he became a star in England?

How did that happen? We were flying high in the Premier under Robson who had successfully signed Distin on loan for the season. He did well in his time here, although was played at left back too many times for my liking. Contract negotiations fell down to whichever imbecile in charge was conducting them, and King Kev stole a fine player from under our nose.

Distin might not be he best Centre back in the Premier league but I'd be interested to clarify who replaced him here and why?

I thought everybody knew that Distin chose Man City because the club decided not to pay money out in wages they didn't have to satisfy his demands, so brought Bramble instead ?

What do you know that the rest of us don't ?

I thought everybody knew that Distin chose Man City because the club decided not to pay money out in wages they didn't have to satisfy his demands, so brought Bramble instead ?

Aren't you the one who has been telling us all how we need to pay top fees and wages to compete with the best teams since Ashley took over? Seeing as how Robson correctly identified Distin as a top stopper, seeing as how Distin was far superior to Bramble who we signed after losing  Distin to City,  what does that say about our ambition or judgement at that time?

Aren't you the one who has been telling us all how we need to pay top fees and wages to compete with the best teams since Ashley took over? Seeing as how Robson correctly identified Distin as a top stopper, seeing as how Distin was far superior to Bramble who we signed after losing  Distin to City,  what does that say about our ambition or judgement at that time?

yes, of course. I also recognise that the club spent a fortune getting into the CL in the first place ie punching their weight in the 3 years previous to move up from a mid table positions, and were in a position that exercising a bit of caution may have been necessary.

I wouldn't then be a hypocrite and accuse them of getting into a financial problem due to overspending.

For the record I was disappointed when they didn't keep Distin, but recognised I had to accept a bit of financial restraint.

What is particularly galling is the fact that the club DID spend the money on other players, which is criticised, then they are criticised when they don't. Maybe by you, maybe not. I don't know.

Also, this idea of buying around potentially talented youngsters was addressed with this signing at the time of Bramble, so on 2 counts the club did what people advocate they do.

I hope this can be kept civilised, its a constructive comment on a point I think you have got wrong. I've never advocated the club spending money left right and centre, just buying the best quality footballers possible and paying the rate to get them if they have it, like the trophy winning clubs do.

I don't want Ashley to bankroll the club ala Abramovic, you can't ask or demand that, just punch our weight and behave like one of the top clubs.

I remember that, despite his size, Distin wasn't that great in the air at that time. That's why Sir Bob tended to play him at left back. He's developed since, but at the time, Keegan obviously rated him more highly and City were prepared to pay more money.

yes, of course. I also recognise that the club spent a fortune getting into the CL in the first place ie punching their weight in the 3 years previous to move up from a mid table positions, and were in a position that exercising a bit of caution may have been necessary.

I wouldn't then be a hypocrite and accuse them of getting into a financial problem due to overspending.

For the record I was disappointed when they didn't keep Distin, but recognised I had to accept a bit of financial restraint.

What is particularly galling is the fact that the club DID spend the money on other players, which is criticised, then they are criticised when they don't. Maybe by you, maybe not. I don't know.

Also, this idea of buying around potentially talented youngsters was addressed with this signing at the time of Bramble, so on 2 counts the club did what people advocate they do.

I hope this can be kept civilised, its a constructive comment on a point I think you have got wrong. I've never advocated the club spending money left right and centre, just buying the best quality footballers possible and paying the rate to get them if they have it, like the trophy winning clubs do.

I don't want Ashley to bankroll the club ala Abramovic, you can't ask or demand that, just punch our weight and behave like one of the top clubs.

Amen.

I wanted to keep that Helder from Porto, anyone remember him?

Thought he was a canny player, nowt special but worth keeping on the books.

Always thought he was a decent player Fat Helder. Scored passed the mackems n all.

Guest Knightrider

We offered him 19K, Man City offered him 24K. He went where he could get the most money. Strange transfer though given the sums and that at the time we had qualified for the Champions League. He's a good player though, like Campbell on Saturday he started off bad but grew as the game went on, using his pace, strength and experience. Wasn't he on Big Sam's radar back in the summer?

Guest Knightrider

Aye, from what I can remember, we actually hijacked the loan deal from Bolton of all clubs, and that we had promised or made some kind of agreement with the player and PSG that we'd be making it a permanent deal on the provision that he played X amount of games which he did. I do remember Distin claiming we'd went back on some kind of promises made to him.

I always liked the look of Distin who was clearly an athlete even then. Keegan and Robson both saw something in him as well, so they did their bit right in identifying a good target. Keegan stole in when we failed to agree terms which looked a bad decision back then and looks even more short-sighted now. I know Robson was keen to sign him and his judgerment should have been backed.

I seem to remember Distin making comments about us not moving quick enough to get the deal sorted so he went and agreed terms with Man City instead, Shepherd was pissed off saying he went back on his word and went to City for more money.

A few years later Souness wanted to sign him and Shepherd changed the story to Sir Bobby preferring Bramble instead, that was just to get him(Distin) over with the fans as he'd been on the end of some stick when he played against us.

I wanted to keep that Helder from Porto, anyone remember him?

Thought he was a canny player, nowt special but worth keeping on the books.

Always thought he was a decent player Fat Helder. Scored passed the mackems n all.

As classy and good a CB we've had in a long time. He had injury problems when he was at Depor and I think he wasn't keen on shifting his family to England, permanently.

In the same way Spurs "stole" Carrick from Sir Bobby, as he would have been ours. A chairman not willing to back his manager with the money because he was arrogant enough to think we were the best these players would get, and hence they wouldnt go elsewhere.