Drug addicts gifted Toon tickets

Ally

What a sham!  :yikes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7352098.stm

Drug addicts are being given tickets to Premiership football matches to help them on the road to recovery.

Newcastle United has been gifting tickets from four season tickets to Drug and Alcohol Action Teams (DAAT) throughout the North East of England.

The drug users are accompanied to the games at St James' Park by their support workers.

North East MEP Martin Callanan has criticised the scheme, saying it "rewards" illegal behaviour.

The Conservative member said: "What about people who didn't get into trouble in the first place, who live their lives, work hard and pay their taxes?

"It's like these schemes the local authorities come up with to send young criminals on outward bound course.

"It's rewarding bad behaviour when we should be rewarding well-behaved youngsters."

'Generous gesture'

The Government Office for the North East has helped the club distribute the tickets for more than 10 years.

A spokesman for the office said they were given to those who had shown a "genuine commitment" to tackle their substance abuse.

He said: "The tickets are provided on the understanding that they are used, as part of a package of measures, to particularly help young people who have had substance misuse problems, and are making clear progress and showing a genuine commitment to living a normal, structured life.

"We thank the club for this generous gesture that goes a long way towards re-introducing people to a structured way of life."

Guest toonlass

Surely they will be going to addicts who have tested clean for a period of time. There will be season ticket holders who take drugs all the time, do you object to them being allowed into St James Park? If these people have worked hard to stay clean why not reward them for it? Bad journalism by the Sun yet again!

Surely they will be going to addicts who have tested clean for a period of time. There will be season ticket holders who take drugs all the time, do you object to them being allowed into St James Park? If these people have worked hard to stay clean why not reward them for it? Bad journalism by the Sun yet again!

I used to kill people, now I've learned to stop. Will I be rewarded?

We should be rewarding people that haven't done drugs, not those that did and have stopped.

If these people have worked hard to stay clean why not reward them for it? Bad journalism by the Sun yet again!

I disagree. They got themselves into the mess in the first place. There are hundereds of good kids who never break the law who would never be able to afford to go to Newcastle games.

Well done to them for turning their lives around, but they don't need Premier League tickets as a reward.

It's a bit different like.

Guest guinness_fiend

This is risky, if you ask me.

Think about it, if *you* were a recovering drug addict, would our performances during the first half of the season have

(a) uplifted you spiritually and made you decide to kick the habit; or

(b) made you think, "Christ, this is awful *and* I'm addicted to cocaine, maybe if I upgrade to heroin maybe everything will be ok..."

In the end of the day, most of these addicts have had or will have children, so it is good for the children that Newcastle are helping with their rehab.

not that many smack rats have kids, im all for giving them massive amounts of methodone laced with contraceptive drugs so these scummers cant breed.  not many smack rats are interested in football either, there mainly interested in where there getting their next tenner bag from. Would be cany for their support workers though, free tickets and getting paid in work time to watch the match! bet they even get time and a half if its on a saturday!  cnuts

We've got a canny few on here though...

Guest mobiius

Front page of the sun today, under the headline "Toon Barmy". Now i am compelled to ask the question, is the Sun Newspaper genuinely morally outraged at the fact that junkies are getting free tickets when decent law abiding  fans can't get tickets for love nor money or as i suspect is this another example of lets look for something to knock us off our perch cos weve won a couple. Personally i don't give to flying fucks about the tickets but i very much doubt that the picture being painted by the media is an accurate account off what happens.If going to a match (or similar) is the end result of some junkies rehabilitation programme and it gives the fucka an incentive to stop taking drugs, i can't see the problem. i would like to think that they have jumped through a lot of hoops and proved themselves before they got that far anyway.

In the end of the day, most of these addicts have had or will have children, so it is good for the children that Newcastle are helping with their rehab.

not that many smack rats have kids, im all for giving them massive amounts of methodone laced with contraceptive drugs so these scummers cant breed.  not many smack rats are interested in football either, there mainly interested in where there getting their next tenner bag from. Would be cany for their support workers though, free tickets and getting paid in work time to watch the match! bet they even get time and a half if its on a saturday!  cnuts

Aye obviously!

I used to kill people, now I've learned to stop. Will I be rewarded?

We should be rewarding people that haven't done drugs, not those that did and have stopped.

You are stupid tbh

they must log on from the library then, trust me i deal with these w@nkers every day, and if they had there own computer they would have sold it along with their grandmother to buy skag!!

nah, i prefer stealing other people's possessions..

"Drives you to f****** drugs going to toon matches, counter productive."

I would agree, it's a total addiction so why they think it's a good idea to introduce them to going to the match is a good idea I'll never know.

I suppose you could say it's less harmful to the body, unless you count the pre match pints.

Nah, bad idea all around.