Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

There is a shock :lol:

You have inspired me, Amady Faye was a fantastic signing for the club and anyone who says anything different I will point out that when we were in the old 3rd division we had someone who played for us who was worse.

Was he a bad player? When we were in the old 3rd division we had worse.

Can I admit he at least had some downsides to his game? When we were in the old 3rd division we had worse.

Will I at least acknowledge he wasn't a world class player, infact he wasnt the best ever player to play in his position? When we were in the old 3rd division we had worse.

f****** pathetic :lol:

Best post I ever read.

I've absolutely no idea. And I;ve no idea where we would be, but I know we would have been in the old 3rd division and declared officallly bankrupt if not for the Halls and Shepherd.

I don't care about the opinions of those who have seen very little of the club and don't base opinions on facts anyway.

Meanwhile, I myself have a fantastic laugh at those who think a board that ran a club that qualified for the Champions League and qualified for europe more than everyone but 4 clubs is a s**** board. Especially when their replacements are "superior" despite coming nowhere near the same, yet.

Still it takes all sorts doesn't it  mackems.gif

:lol:

You do know that it was the failed share issue that almost bankrupt the club and it was Newcastle Breweries who gave the club something like £500,000 to avoid it, don't you?

The trouble with too many Newcastle supporters is that they live in the past - those who were around when we won the Cup 3 times in the 50's always hark back to that ; those like me who were young when we won the Fairs Cup in 69 remember that(as well as the KK first era as manager), and many younger fans think SBRs time was great - the truth is that we have to STOP living in the past. Shepherd's era has gone and gone for ever - if you think he was a good Chairman, that is your perogative, just as it is the right of those who disagree to post their view, but NONE of this stuff is going to change the club.

Only the current Board, Manager and backroom staff can do that, so I find these arguments pointless - every few weeks this same topic re-emerges and goes on..and ON...amd ON.....

Neither side is going to agree with the other, so its completely pointless ; we have an unexpected chance(which no-one on this board envisaged a year ago)now to regain our self-respect in the Prem and to progress as a club, hopefully to where we all want to be - lets get behind the current set-up and FORGET ABOUT THE PAST ; its gone, won't come back and the indisputable proof of its actions is the fact that we almost got relegated. We didn't even win anything in the 'good' times...

This thread started off talking about Mort's comments re signings, i.e., the club WON'T just make them to appease fans. In my view, that is an eminently sensible policy - would Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool do that? I don't think so...half of Wenger's signings were probably unknown to the majority of Arsenal fans, and I wouldn't care if the same thing happened at NUFC - PROVIDED that the result was a successful side...

Its nice to speculate on who should be signed - all fans do it - but give the management and board a chance ; look to the future - Shepherd, SJH, Souness, SBR etc etc have all GONE and won't be coming back. Lets hope that one day , we can look back on the next few years as 'Good' times, and with justification this time, not just making numbers up in the CL or beating Man U 5-0 and then spending the next 11 years seeing them treat us mainly as cannon fodder..!!

I've absolutely no idea. And I;ve no idea where we would be, but I know we would have been in the old 3rd division and declared officallly bankrupt if not for the Halls and Shepherd.

I don't care about the opinions of those who have seen very little of the club and don't base opinions on facts anyway.

Meanwhile, I myself have a fantastic laugh at those who think a board that ran a club that qualified for the Champions League and qualified for europe more than everyone but 4 clubs is a s**** board. Especially when their replacements are "superior" despite coming nowhere near the same, yet.

You do know that it was the failed share issue that almost bankrupt the club and it was Newcastle Breweries who gave the club something like £500,000 to avoid it, don't you?

eeer........as I put in to buy shares, and you said you didn't.........

a failed share issue that failed to raise half of 2.5m quid says everything I'm afraid about where the club was in comparison to where it is now.

Thanks.  bluelaugh.gif

The trouble with too many Newcastle supporters is that they live in the past - those who were around when we won the Cup 3 times in the 50's always hark back to that ; those like me who were young when we won the Fairs Cup in 69 remember that(as well as the KK first era as manager), and many younger fans think SBRs time was great - the truth is that we have to STOP living in the past. Shepherd's era has gone and gone for ever - if you think he was a good Chairman, that is your perogative, just as it is the right of those who disagree to post their view, but NONE of this stuff is going to change the club.

Only the current Board, Manager and backroom staff can do that, so I find these arguments pointless - every few weeks this same topic re-emerges and goes on..and ON...amd ON.....

Neither side is going to agree with the other, so its completely pointless ; we have an unexpected chance(which no-one on this board envisaged a year ago)now to regain our self-respect in the Prem and to progress as a club, hopefully to where we all want to be - lets get behind the current set-up and FORGET ABOUT THE PAST ; its gone, won't come back and the indisputable proof of its actions is the fact that we almost got relegated. We didn't even win anything in the 'good' times...

This thread started off talking about Mort's comments re signings, i.e., the club WON'T just make them to appease fans. In my view, that is an eminently sensible policy - would Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool do that? I don't think so...half of Wenger's signings were probably unknown to the majority of Arsenal fans, and I wouldn't care if the same thing happened at NUFC - PROVIDED that the result was a successful side...

Its nice to speculate on who should be signed - all fans do it - but give the management and board a chance ; look to the future - Shepherd, SJH, Souness, SBR etc etc have all GONE and won't be coming back. Lets hope that one day , we can look back on the next few years as 'Good' times, and with justification this time, not just making numbers up in the CL or beating Man U 5-0 and then spending the next 11 years seeing them treat us mainly as cannon fodder..!!

I don't agree Morts comments are sensible. I think they smack of total naivety, If the club needs players for the present time, they need them, which we do, and the better the quality, so much the better. This is where I came in and all I said in fact.

eeer........as I put in to buy shares, and you said you didn't.........

a failed share issue that failed to raise half of 2.5m quid says everything I'm afraid about where the club was in comparison to where it is now.

Thanks.  bluelaugh.gif

not where the club is now but where it was when shepherd left ie massivly in debt with falling revenues and little sign that on the pitch was going to get better.

yes thay had done well for us previously but by the end that board wasn't doing us any good.

thanks

I don't agree Morts comments are sensible. I think they smack of total naivety, If the club needs players for the present time, they need them, which we do, and the better the quality, so much the better. This is where I came in and all I said in fact.

I think the point here is that the sort of signing that most fans like is a player who is well known and who already has a reputation eg Thierry Henry. That may not be the best signing for us. A player whose career is still on the rise, or a player who has recently had a setback but is keen to prove themselves, may be a better bet.

I can remember when we signed Bellamy a lot of people said he was a crap signing - they had been influenced by what Coventry fans were saying, . In fact, we bought a hungry young player who was determined to prove himself. Portsmouth have similarly come up trumps with Glen Johnson. Giles Barnes may be a good buy for the same reason. It's about backing your view of a player's potential, rather than just looking at their past record.

I don't think Mort was saying that we weren't going to spend money. Just that we weren't going to go for eye-catching names just to get the fans excited.

I think the point here is that the sort of signing that most fans like is a player who is well known and who already has a reputation eg Thierry Henry. That may not be the best signing for us. A player whose career is still on the rise, or a player who has recently had a setback but is keen to prove themselves, may be a better bet.

I can remember when we signed Bellamy a lot of people said he was a crap signing - they had been influenced by what Coventry fans were saying, . In fact, we bought a hungry young player who was determined to prove himself. Portsmouth have similarly come up trumps with Glen Johnson. Giles Barnes may be a good buy for the same reason. It's about backing your view of a player's potential, rather than just looking at their past record.

I don't think Mort was saying that we weren't going to spend money. Just that we weren't going to go for eye-catching names just to get the fans excited.

i thought Bellamy was a great signing at the time, always did.

You have inspired me, Amady Faye was a fantastic signing for the club and anyone who says anything different I will point out that when we were in the old 3rd division we had someone who played for us who was worse.

Can I admit he at least had some downsides to his game? When we were in the old 3rd division we had worse.

Will I at least acknowledge he wasn't a world class player, infact he wasnt the best ever player to play in his position? When we were in the old 3rd division we had worse.

Best post I ever read.

Appalling analogy. Plus you do realise we've never been in the old 3rd division don't you?

The trouble with too many Newcastle supporters is that they live in the past ...

TBF Mort started it once again & seems obsessed with harping back to what the old board did. I'm not sure I can remember him giving an interview where he hasn't had a dig at the old board; he managed 2 in this one.

And we've sorted out the financial side. It's well-publicised [that] the club had got itself in a bit of a mess.

"Historically, the club has looked to please the fans by making a 'statement signing' every now and again," Mort said. "Looking back, I'm just not sure if that's the way to develop long-term success.

Thank goodness we wont be making any more 'statement signings' like Shearer or Owen though.

Hold on, you mention that we should use the blueprint that Man U use, by spending big on big name players, but you mentined 6 players who arguably classified as the worlds best young talent.

They are actually classified as some of the worlds best players.

I tend to think of chaps like Macaulay Chrisantus, Josmer Altidore, Ransford Osei etc who are the Worlds best Young talent.

Hold on, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson and rooney were some of the worlds best players when they were signed??

News to me.

Nani & Anderson were up there with the best players in the Portuguese league so I reckon that chucks them in the mix. Rooney even in his young years at Everton had the ability to be up with the worlds best but not the profile. Not many in this country knew of Ronaldo before he signed but anyone with eyes & footballing brain only had to see him once to see ability wise he was up with the best.

Them players were signed & able to contribute to the first team as soon as they joined like Bellamy, Jenas & Andy Cole did when we signed them. The likes of Fabio Zamblera, Ole Soderberg, Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer and Wesley Ngo Baheng dont have the ability at moment to be risked in the first team, so I am not really bothered about them atm. Once they play regular first team games can we really class them as good signings until then the ? are out.  We have got to improve the first team, I am not botherd if the player brought in to do this 16 or 35 it is about ability to play Premier league football.

Best post I ever read.

ehhhhhhhhhh

Am i reading this right, the old third division,, come on get a grip.

we fomed as a club when there was only 2 professional divisions, and we have been in that top 2 ever since, we have never been in any third division

Considering he's in a position to peruse player contracts and financial records whenever he feels like it I'd say has has a better idea of which transfers were wise and which might be considered more foolish.

Let's wait till the end of summer eh?

Hold on, you mention that we should use the blueprint that Man U use, by spending big on big name players, but you mentined 6 players who arguably classified as the worlds best young talent.

They are actually classified as some of the worlds best players.

I tend to think of chaps like Macaulay Chrisantus, Josmer Altidore, Ransford Osei etc who are the Worlds best Young talent.

Hold on, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson and rooney were some of the worlds best players when they were signed??

News to me.

Nani & Anderson were up there with the best players in the Portuguese league so I reckon that chucks them in the mix. Rooney even in his young years at Everton had the ability to be up with the worlds best but not the profile. Not many in this country knew of Ronaldo before he signed but anyone with eyes & footballing brain only had to see him once to see ability wise he was up with the best.

Them players were signed & able to contribute to the first team as soon as they joined like Bellamy, Jenas & Andy Cole did when we signed them. The likes of Fabio Zamblera, Ole Soderberg, Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer and Wesley Ngo Baheng dont have the ability at moment to be risked in the first team, so I am not really bothered about them atm. Once they play regular first team games can we really class them as good signings until then the ? are out.  We have got to improve the first team, I am not botherd if the player brought in to do this 16 or 35 it is about ability to play Premier league football.

We need to be a bit careful about these comparisons with Man U, because we're in a different situation. It's been relatively easy for Nani, Anderson and Ronaldo to adjust to the Premiership because they're playing for a team that is nearly always better than their opponents. It's much more difficult for a young and/or foreign player if they're chucked into a team that's having to struggle a bit.

Rooney is an exception. Physically and psychologically, he was ready for the Premiership at 16, and can produce no matter how tough the opposition.

As I've said, we need to look at players like Bellamy, who had already cut his teeth, but hadn't reached his peak.

We need to be a bit careful about these comparisons with Man U, because we're in a different situation. It's been relatively easy for Nani, Anderson and Ronaldo to adjust to the Premiership because they're playing for a team that is nearly always better than their opponents. It's much more difficult for a young and/or foreign player if they're chucked into a team that's having to struggle a bit.

Rooney is an exception. Physically and psychologically, he was ready for the Premiership at 16, and can produce no matter how tough the opposition.

As I've said, we need to look at players like Bellamy, who had already cut his teeth, but hadn't reached his peak.

I agree. But there is pressure playing for a top club a different type of pressure & Ronaldo had the added pressure of replacing Beckham.  Also the players Man United sign are the the best around & some of them are already full internationals, have CL experince. The young players we signed we are lucky if they have played games at senior level because for whatever reason there previous clubs didnt think they were ready be a first team regular be it Swindon Town or Atlanta.

If we do need to sign young players they need to be like the players I listed elsewhere in this thread i.e Bellamy, Jenas & Andy Cole, young players who are the best (or near) at there club. Atm we are bottom half mid table club, so we need to sign predominately players who can play now.

Disagree - he is quite correct not to want signings just to appease supporters ; we used to do that even in Joe Harvey's time..

The signings have to be those that make us a BETTER SIDE - nothing more, nothing less ; if they turn out to be headline-making signings. all well and good, but Robert Lee was hardly that at the time he signed for us, yet became one of our most invaluable signings.

If you put this point to KK, I'm willing to bet he will agree, and that is the most important thing...I think we can all be fairly sure that the Manager will be the one to finally decide who he wants..

Disagree - he is quite correct not to want signings just to appease supporters ; we used to do that even in Joe Harvey's time..

The signings have to be those that make us a BETTER SIDE - nothing more, nothing less ; if they turn out to be headline-making signings. all well and good, but Robert Lee was hardly that at the time he signed for us, yet became one of our most invaluable signings.

If you put this point to KK, I'm willing to bet he will agree, and that is the most important thing...I think we can all be fairly sure that the Manager will be the one to finally decide who he wants..

I'm pleased to see that you appear to think the trophy winning clubs aren't showing you how they appease their supporters ie by buying top quality footballers to their clubs. Just carry on ignoring it if you like.

He appears to be making an excuse for setting out a "sell to buy" type strategy in the long term with stringent limits on the amount the club is prepared to spend on players, ie run the club like Everton rather than Liverpool. I'm sorry if you and others don't agree, but thats what it seems to me, and I've seen it before and heard these sort of excuses, unlike most others.  Its not the way to run an ambitious football club, the only way to success is to buy the quality players when they are available and worry about balancing the books later. Why does he have to keep feeling he has to earn himself brownie points by digging at the old board, as UV has said ? Is it to curry favour with supporters - ie appease them ? Just get on with the job, and the good club that you have been left, and improve it if you can, is what he should be doing. I'd think more of him if he acknowledged that they have been left a club very much in a good position to get real success instead of the childish digs.

Keegan will do well with the money he gets, but will we get the full potential out of Keegan ?

I'm pleased to see that you appear to think the trophy winning clubs aren't showing you how they appease their supporters ie by buying top quality footballers to their clubs. Just carry on ignoring it if you like.

He appears to be making an excuse for setting out a "sell to buy" type strategy in the long term with stringent limits on the amount the club is prepared to spend on players, ie run the club like Everton rather than Liverpool. I'm sorry if you and others don't agree, but thats what it seems to me, and I've seen it before and heard these sort of excuses, unlike most others.  Its not the way to run an ambitious football club, the only way to success is to buy the quality players when they are available and worry about balancing the books later. Why does he have to keep feeling he has to earn himself brownie points by digging at the old board, as UV has said ? Is it to curry favour with supporters - ie appease them ? Just get on with the job, and the good club that you have been left, and improve it if you can, is what he should be doing. I'd think more of him if he acknowledged that they have been left a club very much in a good position to get real success instead of the childish digs.

Keegan will do well with the money he gets, but will we get the full potential out of Keegan ?

Can you not give it a fucking rest, just for tonight ;)