Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

Overall, a poor performance where we gifted away possession countless times. Fortunately, the opposition didn't have the quality to hurt us.

Faye did very well against Jones, winning the ball far more often than I was expecting. And Harper was pretty much faultless. 

G, I've got some pictures on my phone which are from exactly the same vantage point. I was on the end of the row so I was right next to the steps, plenty of turning around to bait mackems was involved :)

You were behind me and to the side.

Guest Knightrider

Faye and Taylor did very well against Jones, winning the ball far more often than I was expecting.

FYP ;)

I'm the biggest critic of our atmosphere but it was very good today, much better than previous derby matches. Sour grapes from them.

I'm a veteran of the covered Leazes End and back then the noise would burst your eardrums but today was the best/loudest for years.

Don't know how they can say it was quiet.

Would be great to get a regular atmosphere going again, a singing end should be seriously considered - everyone enjoys the match more when it's noisy.

Overall, a poor performance where we gifted away possession countless times. Fortunately, the opposition didn't have the quality to hurt us.

Faye did very well against Jones, winning the ball far more often than I was expecting. And Harper was pretty much faultless. 

I don't know enough about Jones to decide if he is a good player, but if he is I can't see him wanting to play in a team like that.

Keane's team make Sam Allardyce look adventurous.

Faye and Taylor did very well against Jones, winning the ball far more often than I was expecting.

FYP ;)

I thought Jones was pretty much left to Faye all game tbh.

Generally speaking, in terms of initiative and leadership, it's just about as unequal a centre back partnership as you can see.

FYP ;)

Generally speaking, in terms of initiative and leadership, it's just about as unequal a centre back partnership as you can see.

Are you saying that as a good thing or as a bad thing? It's good for them to be different, isn't it?

Either way - who gives? 2 goals conceded in 6 games, and i'm fairly sure he'll bring in a new centre-back, if January is anything to go by.

FYP ;)

Are you saying that as a good thing or as a bad thing? It's good for them to be different, isn't it?

Either way - who gives? 2 goals conceded in 6 games, and i'm fairly sure he'll bring in a new centre-back, if January is anything to go by.

Bad thing. I don't think Taylor takes enough responsibility. Faye is carrying him at the moment.

If they have one big bastard up front and you have one centre back who is a lot bigger than the other, who would you want marking the opposition's big bastard? I thought Taylor did the "sweeping up" job very well today.

If they have one big bastard up front and you have one centre back who is a lot bigger than the other, who would you want marking the opposition's big bastard? I thought Taylor did the "sweeping up" job very well today.

Well according to HTT, they were both on Jones, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

If Taylor was Beckenbauer, I'd be fine with him in a sweeping role. But he's not. He's a big lug who should be attacking the ball.

I see what you're getting at but at the end of the day I'd want one attacking the ball and one waiting to clear up the scraps, if it's the case that KK doesn't think Taylor is capable of doing a more responsible role then a replacement will be looked for in the summer without doubt.

Guest elpapi

FYP ;)

Bad thing. I don't think Taylor takes enough responsibility. Faye is carrying him at the moment.

Taylor was faultless today, he won more headers vs jones than faye when he was marking him... Wouldn't say taylor doesn't take responsibility... I'm not saying he's good enough to contain top4-strikers, but he was excellent today

Guest neesy111

FYP ;)

faye was dreadful from the 2nd minute, he couldn't or wouldn't close down at all and won 2 headers all day v jones who should of been the easiest person to mark considering the lack of support he had

Guest Knightrider

Bob, Taylor took it upon himself a number of times to take charge of that defense and go and challenge Jones in the air, often beating him. Maybe it was a tactic or maybe positioning dictated in a needs must kind of way but all I know is that Taylor did his equal share in snuffing out Jones. Overall, he actually did more I thought because he intercepted a lot of things outside the box and came into midfield a few times to get involved. Anyway he was flawless today and I must mention this: Being it a derby game, against sunderland and him being a Geordie, he was very mature in playing a safe game when the occasion and his blood ties could have easily gotten to him to the point of being rash and all gung ho and many in the stands would have cheered that kind of play. He was the complete opposite though, calm, collected, calculating and mature. That's a good sign I believe and something he needs to foster full stop, to be that kind of defender or to show that kind of temperament on the field... if he's to become a really good defender rather than slightly above average which is where he's at at the moment.

I can't understand how the fuck the mackems can say that our support was shite. I watched it on the telly and therefore I may not have the right impression, but there was more noise than ever before this season. There wasn't any total silence like some matches earlier, it seemed to be a quite high noise level throughout the match, but especially the last mins. Was proud to hear it, good support lads!