Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

Mackems were so poor we barely had to break sweat. Owen was a class above anyone else on the pitch, but I thought Jones looked decent: would love it if we could steal him away from them.

I thought Taylor kept Jones very quiet.

Mackems were so poor we barely had to break sweat. Owen was a class above anyone else on the pitch, but I thought Jones looked decent: would love it if we could steal him away from them.

Didn't see the game but might that be because he was up there on his own? He might have had a better goalscoring tally this season if he'd been playing with another striker.

He did, but he had a very difficult job today and did it to the best of his ability.

Thought the support to day was on another level. We didn't play the best of games but i didn't here one negavtive word from our fans.

Brilliant noise. Sunderlands fans are terrible BTW.

Didn't see the game but might that be because he was up there on his own? He might have had a better goalscoring tally this season if he'd been playing with another striker.

Aye your right they had it easy because he was a lone striker but it still needs to be dealt with and Taylor never put a foot wrong.

:celb:

Most of us were confident and with good reason. The mackems were absolute shite. As has been said, we didn't play that well (very sloppy passing in the second half) yet won at a canter. Owen and Beye the pick of the bunch, absolutely outstanding the pair of them. I take back everything I said about Michael Owen being finished a couple of months ago and Habib Beye is genuine top class. Brilliant player.

Most of us were confident and with good reason. The mackems were absolute s****. As has been said, we didn't play that well (very sloppy passing in the second half) yet won at a canter. Owen and Beye the pick of the bunch, absolutely outstanding the pair of them. I take back everything I said about Michael Owen being finished a couple of months ago and Habib Beye is genuine top class. Brilliant player.

To be fair, a couple of months ago Owen did look finished, Keegan has done for him what Sir Bobby did for Shearer.

Most of us were confident and with good reason. The mackems were absolute shite. As has been said, we didn't play that well (very sloppy passing in the second half) yet won at a canter. Owen and Beye the pick of the bunch, absolutely outstanding the pair of them. I take back everything I said about Michael Owen being finished a couple of months ago and Habib Beye is genuine top class. Brilliant player.

Agree with all of this.

With a few additions we could be bloody good next year.

Guest Knightrider

Thought he was poor myself, Jones that is. Has obvious strength in the air and pace but he can't run with the ball and his control and other aspects of his game are poor to say the least. Anyway, the match...

I thought we were poor in a footballing sense at times but defensively we were very strong and the whole team worked their socks off. The mackems were awful and it says a lot that we won this game comfortably without ever getting out of 1st gear. The atmosphere was cracking too, especially towards the end. The support for the players, the club and KK was special and we are all very much united which is great to be part of. I hope Ashley enjoyed the atmosphere because this could just be the tip of the iceberg. Imagine what it will be like when we're having a good season, playing the kind of football we used to and dare I say it challenging for honours...

I thought Keane was very narrow minded with his team selection and approach, they came here to play the long ball up to Jones hoping for a draw at best and didn't have any other kind of game plan when that naturally didn't work and it didn't work in part thanks to Taylor and Faye who were beasts at the back and won pretty much everything in the air and defended against Jones very well who spent all game hustling and bustling to no avail except for one header that he should have really buried.

Overall a great day, well done KK and the lads.

Got a text about 20 mins in from my mackem mate saying, "Take that ginger c*** off!" :lol:

yup.  My mates wanted Barton to snap McShane's legs and put them out their misery!

Quality first half, Butt was given far too much space though to pick out passes.  Bit disappointed about the second half, would have loved an Owen hat-trick, but at the end of it all, derby day is about one thing - THE RESULT.  And we got it.

Back for a bit to eat then off out drinking again!  O0

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan has credited his players for their character during a hard-fought 2-0 derby win against Sunderland on Sunday.

"Credit to the players, we never ever played well against Sunderland today," he told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"If you take the level of performance, I could have taken four or five players off at half-time.

"It's the character. Geremi and [Joey] Barton gave the ball away but they didn't hide, they try again."

Keegan, who has enjoyed the reception of supporters as a player and manager, was also impressed with the Magpies fans, who turned out in force for the 148th Tyne-Wear derby.

They've had a tough time this year, win them over and then you get a atmosphere like that

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan

"If you get results here, the fans come here behind you. If you don't, you have to win them over and that's what this group of players have done," he said.

"They've had a tough time this year, win them over and then you get a atmosphere like that.

"A lot of the players were saying 'Wow, we've never expected anything like that' and I said you'll get that every week if you wear the shirt with pride."

Thought the support to day was on another level. We didn't play the best of games but i didn't here one negavtive word from our fans.

Brilliant noise. Sunderlands fans are terrible BTW.

Aye, and the usual shite is being spouted by their fans about how quiet SJP was.  I don't know why they even bother with it ("it was deed quiet, the roof would have been off at the stadium of light") when it's so patently not the case.  Best atmosphere there for years, I'd have said, and although I'm not a veteran of every ground in England, I'm sure there won't be many that routinely make a better noise than today.  The booing of Chopra was astonishingly good.

Made a thread a while back about Liverpools atmosphere (or lack of) and was saying the same thing. No matter how many people say "its not like it used to be", i will never be convinced that we have anything other than a top notch, consistant stadium when it comes to atmosphere.

Most of us were confident and with good reason. The mackems were absolute s****. As has been said, we didn't play that well (very sloppy passing in the second half) yet won at a canter. Owen and Beye the pick of the bunch, absolutely outstanding the pair of them. I take back everything I said about Michael Owen being finished a couple of months ago and Habib Beye is genuine top class. Brilliant player.

To be fair, a couple of months ago Owen did look finished, Keegan has done for him what Sir Bobby did for Shearer.

Absolutely, I stand by what I said in terms of playing as a out-and-out striker but total credit to Michael Owen and the Messiah for adapting his game. His movement is so good stealing in from midfield that your defensive midfielder put in there to deal with him hasn't got the first clue how to deal with it.

The Owen / Martins / Viduka thing is beautiful to watch.  Everyone is terrified of Martins, so even though his end product is frustratingly random, his byproduct is constantly drawing two (and today sometimes three) defenders and leaving acres of room for the others.  When he does that, a quick ball through to Owen or Viduka and the opposition are all over the place.  Lovely :)

:nods:

Guest Knightrider

This was the best I've seen Owen play in years, he was everywhere and I swear at one point he skinned someone down the flank, showing the kind of pace he was once renowned for almost. Now that's not me saying it has returned because it hasn't and never will, I just think the confidence is so sky high and he's enjoying his football again, he has an extra spring in his step that can allow him to go past the odd player like he once did, but without the electric burst. His passing, game intelligence, work rate, positioning and leadership qualities stood out like a sore thumb, the best player on the pitch and the best he's played for Newcastle certainly, in my opinion anyway. He also battled manfully, showing a tougher more robust side to his game. He's been a revelation for us in his new position and he's winning me around with every game. Well played son and that's more like it.