Newcastle United 2 - 0 Mackems - 20/04/08 - Post match reaction from page 13

James

Gordon £9m, McShane £2.5m, Nosworthy Free, Higginbotham £2.5m, Collins 140k, Edwards £1.5m, Whitehead Free, Miller Free, Reid £4m, Murphy £100k, Jones £6m - (Harte Free, Richardson £5.5m, Chopra £5m)

Total cost: £36.24m

:iamatwat:

Beating the mackems:

PRICELESS!

Guest elpapi

i can't remember viduka winning one header btw... i was pleased to see carroll coming on and at least battle for the ball in the air!

viduka and geremi seemed kind of out of place there, slow and no movement at all... that said geremi assisted the first goal and viduka's flick resulted in the penalty...

if this gomis guy is the next drogba he might be worth some cash

Gordon £9m, McShane £2.5m, Nosworthy Free, Higginbotham £2.5m, Collins 140k, Edwards £1.5m, Whitehead Free, Miller Free, Reid £4m, Murphy £100k, Jones £6m - (Harte Free, Richardson £5.5m, Chopra £5m)

Total cost: £36.24m

:iamatwat:

Yeah, a £40M team assembled by Keane and their arses fall out when they enter a hostile stadium.

Keano there's only one Keano, Keano...............................

Pulling fat Sam's tactics to shreds on MOTD2.

I thought there was a high level of BS (in the other sense) in the MOTD analysis, to be honest. We're doing much better for two main reasons. The team is playing in a relaxed and confident manner whereas under Sam they clearly looked burdened by the pressure. Secondly, we look far more like scoring because the team is set up to allow Owen to ghost into the box from deep positions, and his ability to read the game and get on the end of chances has always been very good.

Keown was trying to say that we've changed from a long ball side to one that passes it on the ground, but I don't think that's right. Yesterday, we were playing just as many long balls as before, and our passing through the midfield, for most of the game, was pretty woeful.

We've not suddenly changed from Bolton to Barcelona. The relationship between players and manager has improved and the team looks relaxed, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

There always is Bob and it's even worse when messrs Hansen, Lawrenson and Shearer are on.

They attempt to justify their "expert" status by making big statements, truth is most of them know, or care to know, very little about NUFC - just dropping predictable soundbites.

I'd prefer it if they cut out the "punditry" and just showed us more of the action in the allotted time.

Barton - 4 - Yet another poor game from White Trash. Displayed fuck all vision, and almost zer creativity.

have to say i find this very odd, there were large sections of the game where he was the only lad in black n white able to actually pass to a team mate, i thought he was quality, again

Barton - 4 - Yet another poor game from White Trash. Displayed fuck all vision, and almost zer creativity.

have to say i find this very odd, there were large sections of the game where he was the only lad in black n white able to actually pass to a team mate, i thought he was quality, again

Somewhere between those two views for me.

Barton - 4 - Yet another poor game from White Trash. Displayed f*** all vision, and almost zer creativity.

Thought Barton was very good again. Always busy and available to help team mates at all times.

Very much a case of Sunderland players making it difficult for us to pick out our passes I thought, which is what you can expect from a Derby game.

They had five in midfield too.

He was poor, for me. Not his worst game, but a step backwards form his last few.

I can't recall seeing him make any genuinely quality passes. He just gives the ball away far too much.

I didn't think Barton was very good but thought that Geremi was even worse - the cross for the goal aside, I'll be glad when Milner back.

Geremi is a bad, bad player. He's created a couple of chances, in his defence, but they have been spread across a dozen games. He's nowhere near good enough for a team that wants to be pushing for the top 7.

That fat bloke singing Blaydon Races before the game was excellent. :clap:

Should get him there every week.

Agreed on the first point, what a fucking touch of class that was prior to kick-off, the atmosphere was built-up brilliantly.

Fantastic day.

Guest Knightrider

I think a good number of our team were poor on the ball yesterday, Barton, Geremi and Martins the chief culprits. However to a man they all worked their socks off and that's the least we can expect from them when they aren't at their best which is much better than them not being at their best and neither putting a shift in which was the case a few weeks back. In that sense Barton was tremendous, covering a lot of ground and showing a bit of pace at times when taking on his man. Lets not forget space and time was at a premium due to the nature of this match which made it tough to get the ball down and play. The fact we did play football periodically is very encouraging.

I didn't think Barton was very good but thought that Geremi was even worse - the cross for the goal aside, I'll be glad when Milner back.

Geremi is a bad, bad player. He's created a couple of chances, in his defence, but they have been spread across a dozen games. He's nowhere near good enough for a team that wants to be pushing for the top 7.

Agreed

FWIW, I think the mackems won the midfield battle to an extent--which you would expect with two extra men in midfield--they were just so poor that they couldn't captitalise on it, and Jones was ludicrously isolated at times. In truth, it could've been a closer match if they'd had that little extra bit of quality.

i agree in general, but overall he's done surprisingly well after the ACN.. it's like having a cleverer Milner without the pointless dribbling

I think a good number of our team were poor on the ball yesterday, Barton, Geremi and Martins the chief culprits. However to a man they all worked their socks off and that's the least we can expect from them when they aren't at their best which is much better than them not being at their best and neither putting a shift in which was the case a few weeks back. In that sense Barton was tremendous, covering a lot of ground and showing a bit of pace at times when taking on his man. Lets not forget space and time was at a premium due to the nature of this match which made it tough to get the ball down and play. The fact we did play football periodically is very encouraging.

They were all poor I thought, even Owen and Viduka who are usually our better players in possession were sloppy and gave it away too much.

A very sloppy performance but it'll be overlooked because it was a derby, lets hope we can get back on track for the West Ham game.

Viduka didn't look right to me. I know he struggles to move at the best of times, but yesterday was something else.

Might have been playing with a knock?

Still had a massive contribution for the penalty, but most definitely wasn't at the races - which was a shame when you look at the quality of defender he was up against.

Guest Knightrider

FWIW, I think the mackems won the midfield battle to an extent--which you would expect with two extra men in midfield--they were just so poor that they couldn't captitalise on it, and Jones was ludicrously isolated at times. In truth, it could've been a closer match if they'd had that little extra bit of quality.

If they had of had that extra quality, it would have made for a more open game which will always suit our style of play and our forwards much more. I just think Keane's tactics and approach were all wrong, had he attacked us he may have had some joy going forward. However, had they done that, we may have pummeled them at the back so maybe he was right to set his stall out as he did with the limited players he has, after all. They were very poor like, and we were not that much better on the ball, we won because we have the extra quality (Owen) and because we showed more desire to win it, not because we battered them with our football. They were ripe for a good old hammering mind, but 2-0 with that level of comfort and a clean sheet does me. Great win.

It was one of those games where the result was all that mattered.

I would look to replace Geremi and Viduka in the summer however and we need a bigger and stronger player for the Butt role.

I think even if they'd just had Bardsley and Evans fit the game would have been a slightly different proposition - a bit tighter, but with the same outcome.

McShane was atrocious and kept putting them under pressure/killing their attacks, and Higginbotham obviously gave the penalty away.

I was delighted to see the two mentioned not make it today.