Keegan wants a left back.

Baggio

"We've got a history of not leaving well enough alone. Leave it", Baggio?

I'm not sure what you mean, elaborate a bit more.

The obvious example is N'Zogbia and Duff. We had a good player, a good asset to the team, yet we tried to fix something that was already fixed by signing Duff. [/clichetastic]

But we've done it in the past aswell. We didn't need to get rid of Speed, but we did and got Butt. Babayaro/Bernard. Bramble/Distin. Those are ones that i can think of off the top of my head; and no - i'm not saying Enrique would go, but you catch my drift. We're already sorted; leave things how they are.

The point is, for me, we've got a good left-back, who's doing well for the team. He'll get better...

... By spending more cash on a better one, it could hinder Enrique's development, and wouldn't improve the team a huge amount either - where, for instance, signing a new centre-back could do.

Like i say, i just don't think signing a brand spanking new left-back is necassary.

"We've got a history of not leaving well enough alone. Leave it", Baggio?

I'm not sure what you mean, elaborate a bit more.

The obvious example is N'Zogbia and Duff. We had a good player, a good asset to the team, yet we tried to fix something that was already fixed by signing Duff. [/clichetastic]

But we've done it in the past aswell. We didn't need to get rid of Speed, but we did and got Butt. Babayaro/Bernard. Bramble/Distin. Those are ones that i can think of off the top of my head; and no - i'm not saying Enrique would go, but you catch my drift. We're already sorted; leave things how they are.

The point is, for me, we've got a good left-back, who's doing well for the team. He'll get better...

... By spending more cash on a better one, it could hinder Enrique's development, and wouldn't improve the team a huge amount either - where, for instance, signing a new centre-back could do.

Like i say, i just don't think signing a brand spanking new left-back is necassary.

But we do need a left back, that's the point.

The question Keegan will be asking himself is would he trust any other member of our squad to fill in at left back if Enrique was to suffer a long term injury as soon as the transfer window closes and the answer will be NO.

Your examples are a bit dodgy apart from the Duff/N'Zogbia one which is good but I have much more faith in Keegan to pick a player on merit rather than pick a big name because he'd signed them like Roeder did, as a left back I'm happy with Enrique but I don't think you should ever turn down the chance to improve the starting 11, the fact is we need a left back and if money isn't a problem then why not aim to better the starting 11 or at least bring in strong competition for what we've got, if anything strong competition could keep Enrique pushing to better himself.

So Keegan has said that he's looking to bring in a new left back, now we've seen Enrique step up his game lately but we're still short in that area with only one recognised left back in the first team squad, so do we bring in a left back better than him which may hinder his progress? Someone to compete with him or an understudy?

Any realistic suggestions on who we should get?

Source/quote?

So Keegan has said that he's looking to bring in a new left back, now we've seen Enrique step up his game lately but we're still short in that area with only one recognised left back in the first team squad, so do we bring in a left back better than him which may hinder his progress? Someone to compete with him or an understudy?

Any realistic suggestions on who we should get?

Source/quote?

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=50351.msg1292727#msg1292727

We shouldn't be looking to replace or better Enrique. What would be the point?

I like the way Fergie operates - basically has one left back and one right back but has about five centre backs, two main ones and then three or four others who can cover full back (Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, O'Shea).

Talk of Riise makes me feel queasy, he's absolute shite. I suspect it's bollocks paper talk though.

I like the way Fergie operates - basically has one left back and one right back but has about five centre backs, two main ones and then three or four others who can cover full back (Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, O'Shea).

Talk of Riise makes me feel queasy, he's absolute shite. I suspect it's bollocks paper talk though.

Spot on, Wullie. If we can get a good centre-back who can operate at full-back aswell, that's the best option to have imo.

(Not Chimbonda :razz: )

Spot on, Wullie. If we can get a good centre-back who can operate at full-back aswell, that's the best option to have imo.

(Not Chimbonda :razz: )

I am in agreement here. By all means get in a left back but I would go for a seasoned pro who would be happy to sit on the bench. I would have said a promising youngster but I would have thought Kadar or Tozer fall into that category in any case.

Jose's done well recently, no doubt, but if we're looking to keep this 4-3-3 system then I reckon long term we'll be looking to get in full-backs who are just as effective going forward as they are in defense.

Enrique's a good player, but he may end up being a victim of our new system IMO.

Guest optimistic nit

in my opinion there is no point in signing someone who you dont want to play in the first XI, if you sign players as backup then it doesn't improve the team or the squad, as they'll most likely be sub standard compared to the rest of your team and you wont want to bring them in. i wouldn't be against signing mattock, if kadar is the only one who can play left back, but i would sign someone in the last couple of years in his career personally (not someone who's given up like riise or someone in his mid to late 20's like bridge, as that would be a kick in the face for enrique). no point in signing anyone who wont at least challenge enrique though.

Just in the press today that Philipp Lahm will leave Bayern this summer. He wants to play in another country and he has one year left of his contract. I say we buy him for 8 mill.

Better not, might upset Enrique.

Another thing worth noting is that the 7 subs rule for next season means that there is a place for a full back on the bench, whereas before having 1xGK, 1xCB, 1xDM, 1xAM and 1xCF was normally the best option if there wasn't much versatility in the first XI.

Just in the press today that Philipp Lahm will leave Bayern this summer. He wants to play in another country and he has one year left of his contract. I say we buy him for 8 mill.

Is there any need to be like that, really? :undecided:

We only need to worry about a Duff scenario if the manager mistakenly buys someone worse than Enrique  and is then stubborn enough to keep players in the team because itis the manager's signing.

I think Keegan has better judgement, and I don't think he's too insecure to admit to the occassional bad signing.

Is that true James about having 7 subs next year? Must have missed that one, it'l be like being in europe again..... how depressing ;)

Taking what Wullie said into account i still think Ben Haim is the best option because he can cover at left back for us if Enrique gets injured. After that we can rely on Edgar.

Is there any need to be like that, really? :undecided:

:tard:

Keegan mentioned a while ago that it was crazy that a club of Newcastle's size only has one recognised left back (possibly during his radio Newcastle interview). I find it strange that he is happy to go on record that he want another left back but doesn't mention needing a right back. We only have Beye and Carr for right back and Carr's contract expires in the Summer. Surely Keegan doesn't rate Carr enough to give him a new contract?

Keegan mentioned a while ago that a club of Newcastle's size should have more than one recognised left back (possibly during his radio Newcastle interview). I find it strange that he is happy to go on record that he want another left back but doesn't mention needing a right back. We only have Beye and Carr for right back and Carr's contract expires in the Summer. Surely Keegan doesn't rate Carr enough to give him a new contract?

He's not going to say Carr has no future at the club just yet is he?

Give him some credit.