Richard Dunne staying at Citeh

jimmymag

Who gives a fuck about all this 'footballing centre-half' bullshit?

Dunne is a better defender (you know, his job?) than Taylor at this point, so him and and Faye would do me like.

Also, this talk of top eight etc is bollocks iyam. Saturday, just like Portsmouth before it, was an example of a game we could easily win next year with the right additions in the midfield. We just needed that extra touch of quality and we'd have been there.

Who gives a fuck about all this 'footballing centre-half' bullshit?

Dunne is a better defender (you know, his job?) than Taylor at this point, so him and and Faye would do me like.

Also, this talk of top eight etc is bollocks iyam. Saturday, just like Portsmouth before it, was an example of a game we could easily win next year with the right additions in the midfield. We just needed that extra touch of quality and we'd have been there.

:thup:

Richard Dunne has bags of experince of mid-table, it will be a step up from the days when Bobby used to buy centre backs from clubs that were going down (O'Brien) or went down (Bramble).

With 2 games to go the much improved Citeh have let the same amount of goals in as last season. Mind you our defence (I mean Harper/Given, Taylor, Carr, Zog at left back, the midfield, Pearsons coaching, strikers not tracking back) have conceded a hell of lot more goals than last year, recent improvements have been noted.

Page last updated at 06:51 GMT, Monday, 28 April 2008 07:51 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Monday's gossip column

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has promised to deliver big-name players next season after missing out on Sol Campbell, Lassana Diarra and Luka Modric. (Daily Mirror)

Keegan wants to buy defender Richard Dunne from Manchester City. (The Sun)

Dunne's better than what we have so I'd be happy to see him here. Not sure about paying upwards of about 3 or 4 million though because of his contract situation. He's a solid defender who should be in his prime and a back 4 of:

Beye                Faye            Dunne              Enrique

should be good enough to challenge for a UEFA Cup place imo. We also need work on the midfield though.

Would like to see this happen and get tied up as soon as possible. :) 

Ok, I know I'll get lambasted for this opinion, but I really couldn't give a s*** about buying defenders. However, if we do buy Dunne, I'd like to see us ship Rozenhal and Cacapa out.

I think those two are as good as gone tbh. Maybe not Cacapa, he is stuck here.

Dunne's better than what we have so I'd be happy to see him here. Not sure about paying upwards of about 3 or 4 million though because of his contract situation. He's a solid defender who should be in his prime and a back 4 of:

Beye                 Faye            Dunne              Enrique

should be good enough to challenge for a UEFA Cup place imo. We also need work on the midfield though.

You can challenge for a champions league spot with a poor defence but quality going forward. The opposite can't be said though.

You can challenge for a champions league spot with a poor defence but quality going forward. The opposite can't be said though.

We proved that ourselves.

I think we're planning on buying attacking players too tbh.

Agree totally. :)

Beye                Faye            Dunne              Enrique

you can't really look at things that way.....look at our defence that finished 3rd under robson.

I think we're planning on buying attacking players too tbh.

Really? I thought we'd only buy one defender tbh.

Missed the point again though, well done ;)

Beye                 Faye            Dunne              Enrique

you can't really look at things that way.....look at our defence that finished 3rd under robson.

Just a general remark. That back 4 is roughly the standard of back-4's that are currently competing in the UEFA Cup.

Hughes - O'Brien - Bramble - Bernard

That's is nowhere near the standard of defenders the likes of Everton, Villa, Portsmouth & Man City have now. Difference is, we had a front 5-6 that p*ssed on most.

Spot on, and I would think that Keegan thinks exactly the same thing too.

I can't see us paying over the odds for Dunne. If he's available for the right price on the right terms then go for it, but otherwise, leave well alone.

Hughes - O'Brien - Bramble - Bernard

That's is nowhere near the standard of defenders the likes of Everton, Villa, Portsmouth & Man City have now. Difference is, we had a front 5-6 that p*ssed on most.

That's a too simplistic way of looking at things.

This season Villa have scored more than anyone apart from Man Utd and Spurs have scored more than Chelsea than Liverpool.

Just because it worked for us 5 years ago doesn't mean it'll work again or it's the way to go about it, we're desperate for some leadership at the back as we're a bunch of individuals making last ditch tackles rather than having any organisation about us.

Ok, I know I'll get lambasted for this opinion, but I really couldn't give a shit about buying defenders. However, if we do buy Dunne, I'd like to see us ship Rozenhal and Cacapa out.

Agree, for once. ;) I think our Goals Conceded this season is a little misleading. That's not to say we didn't concede that many, but the circumstances in which we conceded many was when the team went behind and knew they wouldn't get back into it and just collapsed. Or games where we defended/invited pressure for 90 minutes. I'm not worried by the defence in the slightest. Full-backs are fine, Jose still growing obviously. Faye is big and quick, and yeah Benjani had him, but Benjani could outmuscle most. Taylor is talented, and will hit his peak in 4-5 years and worth sticking with IMO. So, not a World Cup winning defence, but good enough for now. If you compare that with an honest assessment of our midfield, and consider Viduka's fitness/age, I think we have more pressing issues, and pertinently, issues which could make us a significantly better team for our money.

Guest Guinness

I'd be happy with Dunne and Faye as a pair. :thup:

According to The Sun's story on this, if we sign Dunne, we will allow Faye to Join Blackburn.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1097758.ece

Not sure how true the Faye to B'Burn but is though - Though the Sun also reckon its a £6m swoop for Dunne!!!  :rolleyes:

Would prefer to keep him as back-up, or indeed as a partner for Dunne, as Taylor is still learning.

It would surely be Rozehnal and/or Cacapa who were moved on, not Faye.

Dunne would be a very good signing, he's a solid defender and a good communicator which is just what we need IMO.

Whenever we got to the latter stages of competitions our shit defence showed us up. We need both a solid defence and a good attack if we are to win anything. Our s*** defence always showed us up in the past and we would struggle against the big clubs who were around us at the time.

Doesn't really matter about priorities when a good, experienced (both in this league, and playing under our manager) player comes along who would be a clear improvement and is available.

Get him in, plenty of time yet to work on the main targets. ;)