Stoke give us 4 million if promoted

SUPERTOON

NEWCASTLE United are banking on Stoke City being promoted to the Premier League so they can cash in on Shola Ameobi.

For, as seems likely, if Stoke join West Brom in one of the automatic promotion places from the Championship on Sunday, then United will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Stoke want to keep the details of Ameobis loan deal secret and its easy to see why.

For the top brass of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have done United proud in their dealings with the Midlands club.

United have already banked a huge fee of £575,000 for allowing Ameobi to go to the Britannia Stadium on loan, with the player himself picking up a weekly wage packet of £20,000.

And a deal has already been struck between the two clubs that if Stoke are promoted then Ameobis loan deal will become permanent, with United receiving a cool £4m for the player who cost them nothing after he came through the ranks at St Jamess Park.

Several other clubs in the Championship were interested in Ameobi, but none could match Stokes offer to United.

Ameobi has had his ups and downs on Tyneside, but it should not be forgotten that he scored nearly 50 goals for the club some of them very crucial.

But he is being married in the summer, and the word is that Kevin Keegan was understandably upset when the 26-year-old striker asked to miss a reserve game because he had a wedding rehearsal.

Whatever happens, its hard to see Ameobi having any sort of future with United, and it would be a surprise if David Rozehnal, who is on loan at Lazio, was seen in a black-and-white shirt again.

However, it remains to be seen whether Alan Smith will swap the black-and-white of United for the blue of Rangers at the end of the season.

Rangers boss Walter Smith, who let United target Richard Dunne leave Everton for Manchester City back in 2000, is ready to slap in a £5m bid for Uniteds 27-year-old England international.

And this could interest Keegan who, as The Chronicle revealed last month, has twice been up to see Rangers in UEFA Cup games recently, having a look at their Spanish central defender Carlos Cuellar.

Alan Smith is a big Rangers fan and he dashed out of Upton Park on Saturday night after coming on as a substitute in Uniteds 2-2 draw, so that he could make his way to Glasgow to see the Old Firm derby with Celtic the following day.

But Smith will know better than anyone that his £60,000-a-week wages at St Jamess are nearly three times more than the best paid player at Ibrox.

Guest The Libertine

£9.5 million for ameobi and smith would be a modern day miracle. i'd genuinely be gobsmacked at that.

Guest guinness_fiend

...a deal has already been struck between the two clubs that if Stoke are promoted then Ameobis loan deal will become permanent, with United receiving a cool £4m for the player who cost them nothing after he came through the ranks at St James' Park."

"Rangers boss Walter Smith, who let United target Richard Dunne leave Everton for Manchester City back in 2000, is ready to slap in a £5m bid for Uniteds 27-year-old England international."

PLEASE let this be true.  God, Allah, whoever - make this so!

Guest guinness_fiend

£4m for Ameobi having not played all season. That's fantastic.

A solitary pound for a forty game season Ameobi would be a bargain, to be fair.

I think the Smith for Cuellar is the better of the two deals...

We were all resigned to having to hang on to smith as there would be no offers for a donkey like him unless it came from an inferior league where fighting and acting "medieval" on the pitch are appreciated more than footballing skills :)

4 million for Shola is close behind though!

Guest guinness_fiend

To be fair, it is (potential) moves like the ones above that fill me with optimism for the summer.

Even if Mike Ashley only offers a nominal amount by way of a war chest, Wise and co seem to be making positive moves behind the scenes.  If we can get £9.5m (or £4m + Cuellar) for Ameobi and Smith, they should be able to negotiate more for 'proper' players, such as N'Zogbia (should he move) and invest in young talent.

For the top brass of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez have done United proud in their dealings with the Midlands club.

United have already banked a huge fee of £575,000 for allowing Ameobi to go to the Britannia Stadium on loan, with the player himself picking up a weekly wage packet of £20,000.

And a deal has already been struck between the two clubs that if Stoke are promoted then Ameobis loan deal will become permanent, with United receiving a cool £4m for the player who cost them nothing after he came through the ranks at St James's Park.

If its true, good to see Wise and Jimenez being able to bring money into the club, as well as going out and looking to spend it.  Hopefully gone are the days when we spend big, and claw very little back.

Guest guinness_fiend

It makes you wonder how we only got 5/6 million for bellamy when we can get 4 for shola

Not really.  It is fairly obvious that we now have people that know what they are doing at the negotiating table.

Plus, you can always recoup a little over the odds for an average player if you sell him to a lesser league.  Shola to the Championship and Smith to the SPL = two experienced Premiership players = an attractive prospect for clubs outside of the Premiership.

It makes you wonder how we only got 5/6 million for bellamy when we can get 4 for shola

Because Souness in particular (although he wasn't alone in this) handled it just about as badly as he possibly could have.

Alan Smith is a big Rangers fan and he dashed out of Upton Park on Saturday night after coming on as a substitute in United’s 2-2 draw, so that he could make his way to Glasgow to see the Old Firm derby with Celtic the following day.

Its just a shame that theres still the same old twaddle put in an article.  How does he know Smith supports Rangers?  I thought Leeds was Smiths boyhood team?  I remember watching a programme following youngsters, and they covered Smith making his debut.

would be amazing if true, Not sure about Cuellar, looks great in the SPL but then so does David Wier , however he would have more use in the squad than Smith so would be a great deal!

Alan Smith is a big Rangers fan and he dashed out of Upton Park on Saturday night after coming on as a substitute in Uniteds 2-2 draw, so that he could make his way to Glasgow to see the Old Firm derby with Celtic the following day.

Its just a shame that theres still the same old twaddle put in an article.  How does he know Smith supports Rangers?  I thought Leeds was Smiths boyhood team?  I remember watching a programme following youngsters, and they covered Smith making his debut.

Every paper has reported this today like

Alan Smith is a big Rangers fan and he dashed out of Upton Park on Saturday night after coming on as a substitute in United’s 2-2 draw, so that he could make his way to Glasgow to see the Old Firm derby with Celtic the following day.

http://www.rangersloyal.co.uk/images/alansmith2.jpg

Every paper has reported this today like

fair enough.  I haven't read any today, although I glanced at the front page of the Mail when I was in the barbers.  Just seems odd.