Other clubs' transfers

Dave

No reason to be anything other than happy with the Downing signing brummie, maybe a bit pricey but everyone is these days.

Id like us to look abroad a little more often, but i quite like Downing. He was superb against us at our place this season, is two footed, and provides ammunition:

Daily Telegraph - Chances Created Last Season

1 Frank Lampard Chelsea 124

2 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 80

3 Stewart Downing Middlesbrough 72

4 Luis Antonio Valencia Wigan Athletic 70

5 Wayne Rooney Manchester United 67

6 Francesc Fabregas Arsenal 63

7 Mikel Arteta Everton 63

8 Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 63

9 Mark Noble West Ham United 63

10 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 62

My appreciation of Downing really grew this last season. Managed to catch a lot of Boro games and he really is a good player.

His left foot is great, passing , crossing or shooting it's never far off. My favourite thing about him though is his smarts. He knows what he's good at and he focuses on doing those things well. Doesn't force the issue and makes very good decisions the majority of the time. He's also a lot more versatile than I thought, saw him on the right and through the middle at times last season.

Solid purchase. A bargain considering Milner cost the same. He's on a completely different level to Milner.

On Assists.. Kevin Nolan is 46th with 4 assists.

Of course it doesn't say how many were for Bolton.

We rank pretty highly on the red/yellow card tables.

Tackles "lost" table .. 1 Nicky Butt Newcastle United 49

Porto signed Radomel Falcao from River Plate for just 5.5m Euros as Lisandro Lopez` replacement....another bargain made by Porto.

South America is a gold mine if people would just put in the work and scout there properly. It's hardly a risk too as the players are so cheap.

Valencia cost Wigan less than £1 million for goodness sake.

Signed from Villarreal.

Work Permits will always rape the UK from signing up these South American talents.

Is true. However a lot of the internationals from the less renowned countries like Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Colombia etc would qualify, and a lot of these guys are better than the same old Zamoras, Bowyers, etc.

HA! I had to laugh out loud on that one.

Biggest misconception out there is that Butt is some sort of ball winner.

The guy more often than not completely misses his tackles and is left strewn out on the pitch while the opposition saunter merrily into our area with our defence left completely unprotected.

Last season was just unspeakably awful. It would be really difficult to top it but we are well on our way it seems.

Porto signed Radomel Falcao from River Plate for just 5.5m Euros as Lisandro Lopez` replacement....another bargain made by Porto.

South America is a gold mine if people would just put in the work and scout there properly. It's hardly a risk too as the players are so cheap.

Signed from Villarreal.

Work Permits will always rape the UK from signing up these South American talents.

Is true. However a lot of the internationals from the less renowned countries like Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Colombia etc would qualify, and a lot of these guys are better than the same old Zamoras, Bowyers, etc.

Well I'm definitely not going to disagree with that statement. I guess it's just a bit of a risk to go through the whole process of trying to sign a player only for the government to say it won't go ahead.

HA! I had to laugh out loud on that one.

Biggest misconception out there is that Butt is some sort of ball winner.

The guy more often than not completely misses his tackles and is left strewn out on the pitch while the opposition saunter merrily into our area with our defence left completely unprotected.

Last season was just unspeakably awful. It would be really difficult to top it but we are well on our way it seems.

In NB's defence he was something like 14th on the Tackles won table.. but that just means he put in ALOT of tackle attempts and failed with a massive percentage of them.

Lee Cattermole top of the succesful tackles table..

Guest koenji

Signed from Villarreal.

A lot of the South Americans, Argentines in particular have Italian passports. I think the Uruguayans too.....but less so the other countries. As Sir Bobby said once, there are some undiscovered gems there......well perhaps not Gavilan but he cost next to nowt ;) ........good to see a bigger influx of South Americans in this country.....too many managers before were scared to take the `risk`

As for Falcao, actually he re-signed for River to enable them to get a transfer fee  :thup:

On June 30, 2009, Falcao's contract with River Plate expired making him a free agent. However, Falcao declared that he felt indebted to the Buenos Aires club and would negotiate River into any transfer that moved him to Europe. To do so, he would re-sign a contract with River once a move is agreed with a buyer, so that River would be the selling club of record and benefit from a transfer fee of some kind[4]. On July 14, 2009, the Portuguese club FC Porto acquired 60% of Falcao's transfer rights for €3.9 million from River Plate (with whom Falcao signed a symbolic contract to facilitate the transfer)[5]. Falcao agreed to sign a four-year contract binding him to the Portuguese Champion until 2011

Mackems in talks with Crouch according to the beeb, £12m with Hodgson still sniffing around. Not having an owner doesn't seem to be stopping Portsmouth from flogging all of their players.

Guest firetotheworks

which is why he's the best player in the premiership as things stand

Stevie Gerrard is better tbh, more complete player.

that's what I used to think

Me too. Lampard was the best player in the league last season imo. No contest.

Not in the top 6 tbh.

I think Gerrard is the better player but some (well quite a lot) seem to think all Lampard does is score quite a few lucky goals and does nothing else.

absolutely