Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Martin O'Neill has issued a firm 'hands-off' warning to any clubs hoping to sign Ashley Young.

The Villa boss insists any offer for the wing wizard will be given short shrift by the club.

He told AVTV: "There have been a lot of stories about Ashley - and that's what they are - stories.

"The last time I spoke to Ashley and his agent none of this was at the forefront.

"I read every single day these articles about different clubs coming in for him, with swap deals mentioned. It's just pure conjecture.

"No-one has come in and asked us about Ashley Young and I have got to tell you, if they did they would get short shrift.

"I believe he can reach for the stars here. This football club has been fantastic for him because we have given him this platform to display his skills, excite the crowd and play the sort of football that he is doing.

"I suppose it's flattering that he's being linked because it shows how far he has come at this club. Saying that, I do get bored with all the stories in reality."

They're going for experience back there I think. They've already got Davies, Cuellar and Knight. Just need a Laursen like for like.

Knight is off to Bolton.

Distin is signing today apparently, to replace Laursen, and I suspect someone like Onuoha won't want to be nominal fourth choice CB, he'll go somewhere he'll get more games.

Onouha is arguably better than any of Distin/Davies/Cuellar imo.

He was easily one of City's best players when he got a run of games at centre half in the second half of the season. Impressive, no nonsense-style centre half. The type I could see doing well alongside Curtis Davies actually.

No doubt he will get lost amongst the big money buys at City though before going elsewhere and doing great.

It isn't so much that we need a better player than Davies or Cuellar, we just need a more experienced one to brin gout the best in them, which is why I'd rather spend 2m on Distin than get another youngster in

The legend that is Noel Gallagher with some more wide words. :lol:

GALLAGHER: I DON`T WANT TERRY AT CITY

Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher has exclusively told F365 that he doesn't want Man City to sign John Terry because he's a Cockney cry baby.

City might be willing to shell out £30m for the England captain but massive fan Gallagher would rather they signed Joleon Lescott.

"I don't like John Terry and I never have," Gallagher told F365. "He's got funny eyes and he's a cry baby.

"He's also a Cockney and he'd absolutely be coming just for the money."

Gallagher would also pass on a move for Emmenual Adebayor, saying: "I hope it falls through.

"I have always had a great dislike for Adebayor. I don't like all that silly dancing by the corner flag - I prefer a swift handshake and back to the game.

"We've got Roque Santa Cruz who can do a job in the same position."

When asked which footballer Mark Hughes should target next, Gallagher said pragmatically: "Joleon Lescott - he's a good centre half who's getting better. Either him or Matty Upson would do for me."

Man City are a joke.

RSC, Tevez, Robinho and Adebayor vying to play up front, and they're not even in Europe. What the fuck are those players going to do with their time?

They're like a Middlesbrough on a grander scale, attracting players to sign for them purely and entirely because of the money.

They're the poster boy for the absolute fucking mess that English football is becoming. It is easy to say "I wish that were us", but really, if they won the league next year, it'd be great for their fans, but it would be tainted by the fact that they - unlike anyone else, because whatever anyone says, even Chelsea started slowly - had bought it as if they were picking up a 200 pack of tabs in an airport Duty Free store.

When i see Mark Hughes doing press conferences and talking about their transfer policy, even he looks embarassed. As if he's been appointed accountant to a lottery winning sex offender.

Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher has exclusively told F365 that he doesn't want Man City to sign John Terry because he's a Cockney cry baby.

City might be willing to shell out £30m for the England captain but massive fan Gallagher would rather they signed Joleon Lescott.

"I don't like John Terry and I never have," Gallagher told F365. "He's got funny eyes and he's a cry baby.

Gallagher would also pass on a move for Emmenual Adebayor, saying: "I hope it falls through.

"I have always had a great dislike for Adebayor. I don't like all that silly dancing by the corner flag - I prefer a swift handshake and back to the game.

When asked which footballer Mark Hughes should target next, Gallagher said pragmatically: "Joleon Lescott - he's a good centre half who's getting better. Either him or Matty Upson would do for me."

but Lescott (and everyone else they've signed this summer) wouldn't be going there purely for money? Right...

but Lescott (and everyone else they've signed this summer) wouldn't be going there purely for money? Right...

I reckon what he means is that it would be a step down for Terry to move, footballing wise. Therefore he'd obviously only move for the money. With Lescott though, it could be a relative step up, playing alongside some serious big names, for a club who will be going places in a couple of years time. No offence to Everton whatsoever btw.

Noel Gallagher is still a twat though, I agree

Guest firetotheworks

What a fucking fadge splodge.

I'll feel the same way I did about Chelsea, will no longer be able to take their supporters seriously at all.

What? You won't be able to take them seriously because their team spent alot of money and found success. Honestly fell good for the long time supporters who have suffered with that club. It will be obvious who the gloryhunters are.

However, I do dislike the way they're going about it compared to Chelsea. They brought players that could be built up and we're a club like Newcastle that, do to many favorable factors, had potential to become a major force in English football. It just seemed more real to me. With City I don't know. It just seems like the money comes from a bunch of faceless people and is spent in ways that are not even conceivable. It's more the wages they're handing out that

I'll feel the same way I did about Chelsea, will no longer be able to take their supporters seriously at all.

What? You won't be able to take them seriously because their team spent alot of money and found success. Honestly fell good for the long time supporters who have suffered with that club. It will be obvious who the gloryhunters are.

However, I do dislike the way they're going about it compared to Chelsea. They brought players that could be built up and we're a club like Newcastle that, do to many favorable factors, had potential to become a major force in English football. It just seemed more real to me. With City I don't know. It just seems like the money comes from a bunch of faceless people and is spent in ways that are not even conceivable. It's more the wages they're handing out that

Just based on my honest reaction to the Chelsea takeover and the reactions of the two Chelsea-supporting friends of mine. They both felt less connected to their club. You must remember where they were before Abramovich arrived - they had horrendously over-reached and could have been on their way out of business, and were a run-of-the-mill club anyway. He spunked unheard-of wodges of cash (they were, they really were) to put them where they are today.

Are you telling me that you feel good for Sunderland supporters now?

The thing is, I haven't got anything against Chelsea any more. Before they were a (lesser) enemy, now I don't have that visceral reaction and in fact support them in Europe. It's just something in my gut. It's all to do with the identity of football teams - it's always been a tenuous concept - and my instinctive reaction now is to treat Chelsea like a different club. I suspect I'll feel the same about Man City.

Summer 2003, Chelsea bought Johnson £6M, Bridge £7M, Duff £17M, Geremi undisclosed, Cole 6.6M, Veron £15M, Mutu £15M, Smertin £3.45M, Crespo £17M, Makalele £16M. Oh, and Neil Sullivan on a free. In contrast, Newcastle bought in Lee Bowyer, for free. Did Chelsea really do it the right way - exactly how different from Man City were they?

Summer 2003, Chelsea bought Johnson £6M, Bridge £7M, Duff £17M, Geremi undisclosed, Cole 6.6M, Veron £15M, Mutu £15M, Smertin £3.45M, Crespo £17M, Makalele £16M. Oh, and Neil Sullivan on a free. In contrast, Newcastle bought in Lee Bowyer, for free. Did Chelsea really do it the right way - exactly how different from Man City were they?

Those all look like very good signings to me in all honesty. Out of those there, the only one they paid over the odds for was Veron. It's Newcastle problem that they decided not to buy anyone.

Guest kingdawson

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/everton-angry-as-spurs-snatch-defensive-duo-1749955.html

Spurs sign their fifth and sixth right backs in 18 months.

They're really going to struggle if Corluka, Chimbonda, Hutton, Naughton, Gunter and Walker get injured.

Thought they didn't want to join us and only wanted to go to Everton? (not directed at you mate). Tbh i don't actually think the deal is done yet.

Oh and it looks like Negredo is ours.

Guest Heneage

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/everton-angry-as-spurs-snatch-defensive-duo-1749955.html

They're really going to struggle if Corluka, Chimbonda, Hutton, Naughton, Gunter and Walker get injured.

Thought they didn't want to join us and only wanted to go to Everton? (not directed at you mate). Tbh o don't actually think the deal is done yet.

For 18-20 m Euro's as quoted?

Those all look like very good signings to me in all honesty. Out of those there, the only one they paid over the odds for was Veron. It's Newcastle problem that they decided not to buy anyone.

Not sure they worked out as great signings for the most part, but as for us, yes. While acknowledging Woodgates signing etc mid season, that summer marked the beginning of our slide. :angry:

There are those that argue, and apparently still argue otherwise, but from that point on, did Shepherd = ambition? My arse did he.

Guest kingdawson

Thought they didn't want to join us and only wanted to go to Everton? (not directed at you mate). Tbh o don't actually think the deal is done yet.

Not sure tbh. All i heard from different media sources (fuck itk's) was that he's due a medical at the weekend. Think L'Equipe quoted the price at £11 mill.

....my point being that they bought pretty much an entirely new team, spending over £100M, at a time when others were having to tighten their belts. Man U won the league the year before - after selling Beckham for £25M they actually MADE £16M that summer. So Man City, in the transfer market at least, are doing what Chelsea did. I wonder if Hughes will be their Ranieri.

Not sure tbh. All i heard from different media sources (fuck itk's) was that he's due a medical at the weekend. Think L'Equipe quoted the price at £11 mill.

£13m according to SSN this morning. No-one knows basically. Except the ITKs, obviously.

Whereas a club like Spurs spend similar amounts in a similar time period on the likes of Woodgate, Hutton, Modric, dos Santos, Corluka, Keane, Defoe, Chimbonda, etc. and feck all is said.